Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
    But yes the PH does look v chic.
    AND, it's trendy.
    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
      AND, it's trendy.
      Wouldn't argue against that.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        Kyo, you did go ?
        Yes, I did...

I'd prepared myself mentally to go, but the experience was quite a bit different from what I had in mind!

And that pic I posted should be recognisable by anyone that knows Istanbul reasonably well (if they look very closely). I sense my arm will be twisted to post a TR now... hehe

(I think I mentioned previously somewhere I wouldn't pass up a chance if I was ever in Turkey, hehe)

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
          Gundel reportedly is indeed fairly formal and usually a standard choice of non-Hungarian visitors who want to try something good.
          I've been to Gundel but it was tea rather than lunch/supper. Their must try is the pancakes..

Instead of Spoon, there's also a dinner river cruise as well that the Mrs and I went on. Some nice views of the castle when lit at night.

In Prague, my suggestion is a walking tour from the castle to the old town square aka Royal Route. There's quite a bit to see on this route. Walk back down via some side steps, cross the Charles bridge, walk through a small maze of shops on the old streets (Celetna/Korlova amongst others) and see the Astronomical clock before reaching the square.

You guys are funny.....paying for a painful bath/massage experience.
          Last edited by 9V-JKL; 3 November 2008, 10:43 AM. Reason: added name the walking route and street names

Comment

In BUD, do make a trip to the Great Market Hall. We found some nice Hungarian locally-made products for our home. Ok, maybe that's not quite your thing but worth a visit.

Comment

Thanks 9V-JKL, especially for the Great Market Hall suggestion as mum is always on the lookout for that sort of thing.

Pity I won't be at Gundel for their fab looking Sunday brunch as I leave BUD early on Sunday, but I'd pass on the suggestion to my parents. We'd defo go there for a dinner or lunch as the food looks SO yummy.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                ARN in December. That will be almost one long night. Plus very cold.
                Late Dec/early Jan. Sunrise about 8am? Sunset 4pm? Temp -1 to 1 degree Celsius? Would that be a right estimate?

What can one do in ARN during that time of the year? Suggestions please. Nickbot, Kyo, KeithMEL and SQFlyerGirl - please advise if you've done any advanced reading already.

Comment

I heard -3 degrees and generally Christmas-New Year period is snowing...

I find this post - from the same time period in '07, quite helpful in terms of what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                    What can one do in ARN during that time of the year? Suggestions please. Nickbot, Kyo, KeithMEL and SQFlyerGirl - please advise if you've done any advanced reading already.
                    I'm afraid no research other than places to stay within the airport was conducted by the nickbots Perhaps a night in Hotel 747?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                      I'm sure any Turkish experts (perhaps N_Architect) will be able to identify where this photo was taken (horrible lighting conditions, with regret, but should be more than enough upon close inspection
                      No, I don't know where that is. Did not go for massage or Turkish bath while in IST.

I usually don't go around much when I visit a city that I've never been before, but when I actually do it's a whole different ballgame I guess...

Comment

I was recommended a pretty cool tour company, New Berlin Tours that does a free tour of Berlin that lasts 3.5 hours. Could be something to do with the parents on some days. The guides are expats from Australia and the UK who've been living in Berlin for a while.

And at nights they run a Berlin Pub Crawl for EUR12! Free beer and free vodka shots throughout the night!
                        Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 November 2008, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                          And at nights they run a Berlin Pub Crawl for EUR12! Free beer and free vodka shots throughout the night!
                          It sounds too good to be true and there is a catch.

The shots are mixed with orange juice or pineapple juice and we taste-test them ourselves every night to make sure they're strong enough that men say, 'Oh! I can taste THAT!' but not too strong that women don't want to drink them.
                          So if you want to risk drinking watered down shots - with a taste of alcohol but not much more...

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            It sounds too good to be true and there is a catch.

So if you want to risk drinking watered down shots - with a taste of alcohol but not much more...
                            Well I DO want to last the night. I mean, no point going on a pub crawl if you get smashed too early. I also imagine this would be much cheaper than buying vodka OJs or other mixed drinks yourself all night.
                            Also gets you on the guest list for the best clubs in Berlin apparently.

Free beer only during happy hour.

You also get a EUR1 discount if you've done the free day tour with them.

Here's their FB page:
                            http://bu.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6504092926
                            Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 November 2008, 10:17 PM.

Comment

If you like sunken ships you could go to and see the Vasa:
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_(ship)
                              Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

5 days in Milan! Try to book the tickets to the Last Supper early. Maybe go to the Lakes. Take a train to Bologna. Delicious food. Might meet up with you over the weekend in Milan. I need more AZ segments.

Muscat - nice. One of the places on my list. But the places I want to visit are not those you are interested in and vice versa.

Comment

Working...
                                X