When in Rome......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When in Rome......

So I've been unceremoniously dumped from the delegate list to the conference in San Diego i mentioned elsewhere on here, and shunted to one in Rome, mid-late June '09.

Travel plans will be confirmed late november, but I suspect BA from LHR/LGW to FCO on an aging A319..........is it worth upgrading to the Club Europe offering on three hour flight just for the lounge access in LHR and FCO?

Secondly - things to do in Rome.
    Obviously, I'm likely to do the "classical" tourist traps - St.Peters, Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, Colosseum.
    But is there anything "extraordinary", that slight left-field option, that will thrill and excite that you could recommend?
    If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

CE R (the new I class) class fares ex-LGW can be cheap. You could also buy in ET, then upgrade for GBP59 each way. Paging jhm...

If you love your coffee - the best coffee in Rome is to be found in the service stops on the Autostradas. Look out for Autogrill. Yes it sounds like the least likely place to get good coffee, but trust me - they know what they're doing and it's SO worth the hassle of finding one. It makes sense if you think about it - they'd be dishing out gallons of espressos a day to the locals rather than serving something dumbed down for tourists like the cafes doting the main streets and alleyways of Rome.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 November 2008, 03:50 AM. Reason: schpelling
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by Javaman View Post
      Travel plans will be confirmed late november, but I suspect BA from LHR/LGW to FCO on an aging A319..........is it worth upgrading to the Club Europe offering on three hour flight just for the lounge access in LHR and FCO?
      Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
      CE R (the new I class) class fares ex-LGW can be cheap. You could also buy in ET, then upgrade for GBP59 each way. Paging jhm...
      The GBP59 ex-LGW upgrade isn't guaranteed to be available. They also have something similar ex-LHR now as well but again, it's subject to availability and the cost is depdendent on the distance, e.g. phaleesy was offered at online check-in an upgrade to CE LHR-MAD for £125 oneway but I didn't get any offer.

If it's just lounge access you're considering, I wouldn't consider even £59 worthwhile for access to the LGW J lounge. You'd have to drink an awful lot and eat a lot of sandwiches, crisps, biscuits etc to get your money back. Save your money, go to Pret for a much nicer sandwich and pocket the difference.

This applies even more so for LHR T5 where the main terminal is actually quite pleasant and the cost of the upgrade is going to be higher than ex-LGW. The J lounges are nice but not that nice!

I've not been to the BA lounge in FCO but I have been to the BA lounges in MXP and LIN and I certainly wouldn't pay £59+ for the food and drink found inside. I might consider it if I had some work to do and wanted a desk, peace and quiet but otherwise, no.

Even if you take all factors and not just lounge access into account, personally I find it hard to justify paying for CE to Italy - i.e. a slightly wider seat (2-3 hours is not that long); a hot meal slopped out (not even up to M&S standards); a bit more TLC from the crew; and priority check-in and security (both which you get with status at T5 anyway) - except for the fact that I need the tier points.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        I've not been to the BA lounge in FCO but I have been to the BA lounges in MXP and LIN and I certainly wouldn't pay £59+ for the food and drink found inside. I might consider it if I had some work to do and wanted a desk, peace and quiet but otherwise, no.
        I've been to the FCO lounge, and your words apply just as well. I value those lounges for the relative peace to get some work done. If I didn't have to work and didn't have OW status, I'd brave the general departure area.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

The FCO BA lounge isn't that bad. It beats LH with their voucher for the cafeteria, or LX whose early flight leaves before the lounge opens.

Comment

CE? A quick google says this is Nationwide Air?
            Never heard of them.
            I hear what you're all saying about the relative cost/benefits of the upgrade.
            I suppose I could contend with the space issue for a short while.....not sure about the other passengers though......ah well....if you end up on my flight, I apologise now......
            If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Javaman View Post
              CE? A quick google says this is Nationwide Air?
              Never heard of them.
              Club Europe.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

ahh, Club Europe.....
                Sorry, I ran it like an IATA code.
                my bad.
                Rome booking information will be sent out by 24th.......actually, a little too excited about this..

Comment

Apologies for the thread revival.....
                  My trip to Rom is confirmed.
                  3rd August (inbound)
                  4th-5th August - I'll be in and around the Holiday Inn Rome West.......I was offered the Radisson as an upgrade - they say it's "minimalist" - read "sterile and unwelcoming".
                  Any tips? (aside from the coffee recommendations above)
                  Anyone likely to be about in the centre of Rome for a mini-meet over a dumbed down espresso at a street cafe and "watch the girls go by?"

Comment

If i'm in Rome in that period, will be happy to meet you
                    There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
                    If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

... Rome ... I might also pop in for a get-together. It's been a long time since I've been in Rome, or Italy in general.
                      Home is where your heart is.

Comment

I had to be in DUS last weekend and I booked very late. CE came in at £40 more than ET for a return so I took it.

On my upcoming flight to CPH next week, Manage My Booking on BA.com has been offering the £125 one-way upgrade since I purchased my ticket. Needless to say, I did not bother...

I guess it all comes down to the cost. If you are booking late and all the lower booking classes have sold out, then it may be still worth considering Club Europe (only in R class, the lowest subclass). If you are not unsure about which airport to fly from, LHR is generally better hence the higher prices.

Comment

Originally posted by kchika View Post
                          If you are booking late and all the lower booking classes have sold out, then it may be still worth considering Club Europe (only in R class, the lowest subclass).
                          Late booking probably means that you can't get R class (which has generally a 42 advance purchase requirement).

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            Late booking probably means that you can't get R class (which has generally a 42 advance purchase requirement).
                            Ahhh I see. I booked D outbound... and full J inbound.

Comment

Working...
                            X