• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FT: The big story: Cash crisis sounds wake-up call

The big story: Cash crisis sounds wake-up call
    By Roger Bray
    Published: November 7 2008 17:58 | Last updated: November 7 2008 17:58

The long suffering road warrior, reading a list of ways to save money on trips suggested by American Express Business Travel, might be forgiven the urge to rebel.

“Employees that stay together save together,” says the international travel management company in a 10-point plan to offset the impact of the financial crisis, issued from its New York headquarters. Some companies, it claims, are already asking employees to share hotel rooms.

But while waiting for a colleague to finish shaving before using the bathroom may seem an economy too far, evidence is mounting that companies around the world are seeking to reduce the cost of business travel. How are they going about it?

When KDS, the online travel and expense management provider, asked its clients how the downturn was hitting them, 54 per cent said they expected to have pruned travel costs by next March and 36 per cent said they had cancelled trips already booked.

A survey by the Brussels-based Business Travel Coalition of corporate travel managers in 17 countries found that just over a quarter had implemented emergency cutbacks in recent weeks, over and above those made earlier this year. Of those, about one third had banned all trips temporarily. Roughly one in five had ordered cuts in travel spend, 45 per cent of those demanding reductions of 10 to 20 per cent. The findings indicated that there had also been a significant swing towards the use of low-cost airlines, while 30 per cent of managers said their companies were planning “above normal” investment in technology that might obviate the need to fly, such as video conferencing equipment.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ace7d03e-a...077b07658.html

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      The US Dollar is clobbering the Pound at the moment. It was all but 2 to 1 a while ago, it's down to 1.68 this morning. We buy a fair bit of equipment in USD.
      And to think I thought the above was bad....

1 Gordon Brown Peso now = 1.48 USD, 1.17 Euros and 2.25 SGD (I remember getting 3.3 not too long ago... !!!!)

For those of us from this green and pleasant land that buy goods in USD and Euros and travel a lot this is getting out of hand...

Comment

1 Gordon Brown Peso now = 1.48 USD, 1.17 Euros and 2.25 SGD (I remember getting 3.3 not too long ago... !!!!)

For those of us from this green and pleasant land that buy goods in USD and Euros and travel a lot this is getting out of hand...
        I predict it will go to 1.38 USD by the end of Jan. I hope I am wrong.

Comment

What crisis??? I have just check in to SQ 378, asked the check in person, she told me business class is full????

How come, I thought flights are not filling up???
          This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

It's very hit and miss on current flights. My SQ15 last week was busy in J but had just one in F and Y was very quiet. I think first quarter 09 is what is causing concern at the moment as advance bookings for then are not good apparently.

This probably explains the QF/BA 2-for-1 offer.

Comment

The crisis isn't helping me .... I am still waitlisted on a couple of QF flights, been a couple of months now. And waiting for another SQ award seat in J to pop up. Then again these are during peak periods.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

CX report numbers

Cathay Pacific and Dragonair's combined traffic figures for November 2008 show a slide in the number of passengers carried and a steep drop in cargo and mail tonnage compared to the same month last year.

In November, the two airlines carried a total of 1,978,264 passengers – a decline of 2.2% on the same month in 2007, while the load factor dipped by 4.7 percentage points to 75.7%. Capacity for the month, measured in available seat kilometres (ASKs), was up 7.4% over the same month last year. For the year to date, the number of passengers carried has risen by 8.1% compared to a capacity rise of 13.5%.

Cathay Pacific and Dragonair carried a total of 131,758 tonnes of cargo and mail in November, down 15.4% on the same month last year, while capacity, measured in available cargo/mail tonne kilometres, fell by 3.8%. The cargo and mail load factor dropped by 5.3 percentage points to 64.5%. For the year to date, cargo and mail tonnage has climbed by 0.6% compared to a capacity rise of 2.2%.

Cathay Pacific General Manager Revenue Management Tom Owen said, “We saw further weakening in many of our key passenger markets in November, with Hong Kong suffering a particularly sharp drop in demand, especially on the corporate side. Passenger numbers in the back end of the aircraft also weakened across the network, but nowhere near the dramatic decline in premium traffic. This decline intensified on long-haul as well as regional routes, as companies curtailed travel or traded down.”

Cathay Pacific General Manager Cargo Sales & Marketing Titus Diu added, “November is traditionally one of the busiest months in the airfreight business but this year the peak simply didn’t happen. Demand was much weaker than expected in most of the markets we operate in, with a sharp falloff in Hong Kong in particular. We worked to further reduce our capacity in light of the general situation and we have announced we will park three of our freighters – two from Cathay Pacific and one from Dragonair – with effect from January 2009

Comment

I guess this is just confirmation of the view that the pound was overvalued all along. With the recent nosedive in the sterling's value, I found the (non-food, non-transportation) prices to be a steal only in the Philippines. Hong Kong and Singapore no longer seemed to provide as great value as before (not that that stopped me from shopping ).
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                    I guess this is just confirmation of the view that the pound was overvalued all along.
                    The non-UK contingency has always thought this.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

The US Dollar is clobbering the Pound at the moment. It was all but 2 to 1 a while ago, it's down to 1.68 this morning. We buy a fair bit of equipment in USD.

The above now seem like the good old days in their own right.

Today 1 GBP = 2.07 SGD , and 1.38 USD...

Comment

The above now seem like the good old days in their own right.

Today 1 GBP = 2.07 SGD , and 1.38 USD...
                        Selfishly... this bodes well for my visit to the UK this weekend. Rest assured that I'd try to single handedly revive the British economy by shopping lots...

I feel your pain though. The AUD decreased by 30% against the USD in a matter of weeks when all these first started.
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

And the GBP to the JPY is worth HALF what it was about a year ago!

Comment

Today 1 GBP = 2.07 SGD ,
                            Well, selfishly, this means some of us can afford lunch in London again...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                              Well, selfishly, this means some of us can afford lunch in London again...
                              And we will be eating in Hawker Centre's when in Singapore.

I fear the worst is still to come with Gordon's Peso...

Comment

And we will be eating in Hawker Centre's when in Singapore.

I fear the worst is still to come with Gordon's Peso...
                                Hey, if worst comes to worst you've still got an alternative
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro
                                Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Working...
                                X