Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first interview, any tips?

Hi Fellow SQTalkers

This morning, I have a recieved a call from a mining engineering company for an invitation of interview for an internship opportunity on next monday (15th).

It is my first major face-to-face interview (excluding part time jobs) with a huge company like this (apparently this company is the 2nd largest mining company in the world ).

I am quite nervous about it as this opportunity is my first step towards my future career as an engineer.

I presume most of SQTalkers here have extensive experience with interviews so I would like to seek some advice from fine people on SQTalk.

If there's any tip you can give it to me, I would greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance

Congratulations Lee.

Being a big company they obviously cull quite a few and you should feel confident in the interview. They want to employ you and you need to let them
    know why they need you.

I run a law firm and when I interview candidates the thing that annoys more than anything is when I ask what questions they have and say "none".

Do your research, ask questions. Shows your interested.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by rodders View Post
      Agree, this is the most important point to me too. Make sure you do your research on the company, the job, etc.

Make sure that you have some answers to the typical interview questions, don't give smarta** answers or answers that dont answer those questions .

Good luck!

Comment

Well, I am not a CEO but I know from many interviews I know what works for me

A great experience I made was when I got my current job: I wanted to stand out a bit in a positive way and I wanted to make sure that they notice. They asked me to bring along a copy of my CV and I made sure it looked serious, yet different ... plus I printed it on super strong paper so that they feel the difference once they get the CV in their hands. It worked – I gave the interviewer my CV and she instantly said something like "that paper is good" ... the clue is: if they notice, you have a bonus - if they don't, it doesn't harm you.

But well, this is just something I do: the bits and pieces that work if they fall into the right hands and don't irritate the ones who do not care and it works very good.

Then yeah the important things are in rodders' and SuperJonJon's posts. A good idea would be to prepare for questions that might come up:

- What are your great strengths / weaknesses? (Also admit weaknesses!)
        - Why do you want to work for us? (Do some research about the company!)
        etc. etc.

I think the best way to get thru an interview is by just being truthful and oneself. The firms that won't take you because of truthful statements you gave wouldn't have made you happy to work with them anyway
        Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by rodders View Post
          +1.

Also, first impressions are key. Prepare a two-minute introduction that highlights 2-3 important skills you've picked up over the years and end with "I'm here because these 3 things are very relevant to this position".

Use mouthwash. You won't believe how important this is.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
            Use mouthwash. You won't believe how important this is.
            Most people do that after they've got the job!

In addition to the good advice above:

* do listen to what the interviewer is saying and asking! Don't give a prepared answer just because you think you're being asked something else.

* it's okay to pause to think about your answer - pauses always appear longer than they are

* be confident - you're at the interview because the company is already interested in you and they just need you to confirm that impression

* make sure you turn up early - allow plenty of time for train delays etc - there's nothing worse than turning up late, hot and flustered

* treat everyone (before and after the interview) you meet as potentially having input into whether you're hired or not and treat them accordingly

* do review what you wrote in your CV, application form and/or cover letter and expect to be asked questions about any of it (so if you put down that you're fluent in a language, you'd better be) and also any gaps in your eductional/work history; you also need to justify why you chose/did what you did (so an answer of it was the laziest/easiest option won't do!)

* finally - do try to relax! If you don't get the job, it's not the end of the world - there are more opportunities

Good luck!

Comment

Knock 'em Dead is always a good resource:

http://www.amazon.com/Knock-Dead-200...1178279&sr=8-1

That's the 2008 Edition as it's available now, but the 2009 should be released shortly.

Another thing people encouraged me to do (long ago) was go on other interviews. Find something in your field -- or something not -- and go do the interview. Worst case, you get practice; best case, you get an offer -- and maybe something much higher than the original position you are now nervous about.
              HUGE AL

Comment

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate your inputs. I will try my best and will let you know the outcome soon enough Much appreciated !!!!

Comment

Like others have said, I would ask questions especially related to the growth of the company longer term. Say you're not looking for a job but a career.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                    * treat everyone (before and after the interview) you meet as potentially having input into whether you're hired or not and treat them accordingly
                    yes, this one is very important! especially the receptionist, secretary, cleaning personnel, etc. - do take care to be polite and formal. when people want to talk on an informal basis they will tell you anyway; no harm done in being a bit too formal.
                    Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Working...
                    X