Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ISTANBUL] + [DUBAI] Suggestions Please

Dear all,

Later in this month (end-September), I will have a few hours in Istanbul and Dubai.

Istanbul (16:35PM - 23:25PM): Total hours - 6 hours and 50 mins (minus 2 hours at airport)

Dubai (04:55AM - 17:40PM): Total hours - 12 hours and 45 mins (minus 2 hours at airport)

Firstly, I will allow 2 hours at each airport before I move onwards. This means I will allow about 30 mins prior to arriving at Ataturk International, Istanbul by 21:25PM and Dubai International by 15:40PM

I would like to humbly seek the expertise of SQTalk in deciding what I should do whilst there - please suggest things I can do in both these cities whilst bearing in mind the time-of-day (and that it is Ramadan).

So far, nothing really planned in Istanbul.

In Dubai, I have arranged for a car (and driver since I don't speak/read Arab), so I will have use of that from when I clear customs/immigration. Between 09:45 - 11:00AM, I have something planned already. Tentatively, I'm thinking of making a reservation for a drink at the Burj at 12:00PM (or 14:30PM, then head straight back to the airport). The driver will stay with the car / take care of the luggage at all times, so that is not a worry.

ALL food suggestions welcomed. Even better if anyone can recommend specific 'locations/restaurants' that I should eat at under all circumstances.

Thanks in advance!

Buddha Bar in Dubai. But I'm not sure if it's open in the daytime.

Comment

I think you forgot to post the link to the helpful responses you received in the past :

Tips on DXB from SQTalkers

(There are a couple of helpful posts on the first page of that thread too.)
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

You don't have much time in Istanbul and it's the evening so I'd consider going to a Turkish bath (hamam) for a bath, scrub and massage; followed by some dinner and then back to the airport. For example:

http://www.cemberlitashamami.com.tr/hamam_english.htm

(Have a look at the photos to make sure you know what you can look forward to!)

Comment

Thanks, milehighj + jhm (and post-belated thanks to Global Nomad).

So far, out of both threads I have the following suggestions (note that the other thread is predominantly supposed to be about lounges in DXB, and perhaps there is only one or two posts with suggestions - and of course, jhm's advising me not to do the Burj). Some things have changed since then, specifically that I will be able to store luggage at the airport, or necessities/valuables in the car, plus I won't have to worry about flagging a taxi which may be extremely difficult (thanks to matt_will_fix_it's warning):

Istanbul:

1) Have a Turkish massage + bath - (Thanks jhm, great suggestion, and I think I will pucker up the courage and give this a go, however not sure if they'll allow me to take pics inside, nor how wise that would be having a camera so close to water..)

Dubai:

1) Buddha Bar - which may not be open, or open narrowly within 12-2pm (Thanks milehighj, I wonder if this is a good idea during Ramadan, as they may not be able to serve food/drink during the religious month, also I will depart for the airport by mid-afternoon)
          2) Dubai creek / boat ride (abra) (Thanks Global Nomad, this I definitely am keen on)
          3) Shopping malls: Mall of the Emirates with SkiDubai (this is a real must-visit, so I will check it out, however don't think I will do any skiing), Ibn Battuta Mall (almost half way to Abu Dhabi, frankly, I'm not sure if I have sufficient time), Medinat Souq Jumeirah - may or may not, Wafi Mall - may or may not (Thanks Global Nomad)
          4) Wild Wadi Water Park (Thanks Global Nomad, I have heard about this, but prefer to just 'look at it' rather than pack a pair of swimmers on this trip)
          5) Gold souk (Thanks matt_will_fix_it + Global Nomad, will do this one hopefully quickly, maybe 30 mins, no intention of buying jewellery to be honest)
          6) Eat a shawarma ('like a kebab...') (Thanks matt_will_fix_it, will try to hunt one of these down! Any suggestions for the world's best shawarma?)
          7) Gold and Diamond park (I probably won't do this *if I do, 30 mins will be tops* because I have no intention to buy a ring, but may be next time!) (Thanks Global Nomad)
          8) Burj Al Arab - will be still visiting as reservations have been made (myself)

I'm starting to think I will maybe have to ask a taxi driver to just show me the sights in Istanbul.

Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed a suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            Have a Turkish massage + bath - (Thanks jhm, great suggestion, and I think I will pucker up the courage and give this a go, however not sure if they'll allow me to take pics inside, nor how wise that would be having a camera so close to water..)
            I think you'll be too busy being pummeled to have time to take photos. Have a read of this:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tra...icle653934.ece

Seriously, if I ever visit IST one day, I'll try it. It'll be a unique (but perhaps painful) experience.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            I'm starting to think I will maybe have to ask a taxi driver to just show me the sights in Istanbul.
            If you want to do that, it may be easier to simply tell a taxi driver that you're a tourist and give him your wallet!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              I think you'll be too busy being pummeled to have time to take photos. Have a read of this:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tra...icle653934.ece

Seriously, if I ever visit IST one day, I'll try it. It'll be a unique (but perhaps painful) experience.
              This is one of the things that i would like to try if i visit that region. I may regret it straight after but it is worth a try.

Comment

IST

went to a nice restaurant last night:
                www.topazistanbul.com

of course it's not the kind of place you'd go to eat every day, but for a special occasion it's ideal - great view of Bosphorous bridge and canal

prices were eur 88 total for a starter, main (grilled fish), dessert, and a Jack Coke at the end

another place (in the same category) is
                www.varoulkoistanbul.com

this guy had a restaurant (with the same name "Varoulko") in Piraeus, again it's supposed to be at the top end of the market, gourmet, etc. but specializes in fish dishes. He then went to make the same restaurant in Istanbul.

best for food at the center is to try find ordinary places down the pedestrian way off Taxim square, but in the alleys around the way and avoid all tourist restaurants

Enjoy your stay there, it's a great city with long and great history, easy-going people and good energy. Not chosen by accident by the Greeks during Byzantine times as the capital of Byzantium... took approx 300 pics, TR coming up next mo., heading off to BUD today...

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! Now I have a much better idea about both cities indeed.

I have high hopes that barring no flight delays, I will have enough time to try these suggestions out.

Thanks again to milehighj + jhm + Global Nomad + SuperJonJon + N_Architect

Very much looking forward to seeing some familiar faces later this week.

Comment

Kyo, would there be a TR on Dubai?

Comment

Working...
                    X