Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chatted up in SKL: Wider (e.g., Legal) Implications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were you planning to go to said concert anyway?

I heard it wasn't in the spirit of National Day (same day as her concert), that's why it was cancelled?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      Were you planning to go to said concert anyway?

I heard it wasn't in the spirit of National Day (same day as her concert), that's why it was cancelled?
      Was hoping to blag some ahem.. complimentary tickets from a friend in the industry - but that's all shot to pieces now anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        Surely you don't mean Thailand and Singapore are the most liberal countries in the whole of Asia ?
        I do mean to suggest exactly that. I can't think of any countries in Asia that are more liberal than Thailand and Singapore. Japan and S. Korea are close, but my experiences suggest that Thailand and Singapore are more liberal. What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
          I do mean to suggest exactly that. I can't think of any countries in Asia that are more liberal than Thailand and Singapore. Japan and S. Korea are close, but my experiences suggest that Thailand and Singapore are more liberal. What am I missing?
          I think it depends on how you define liberal. According to one example:

http://www.freedomhouse.org/template.cfm

(political rights and civil liberties) as summaried here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom...)#Asia-Pacific

India, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan (amongst others) are more liberal than Singapore and Thailand.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
            While Singapore is not in the top 10% of the world's most liberal countries, it is in the top 50%. Closer to home, Singapore is more liberal than either of its two immediate neighbours. Indonesia and Malaysia are far more conservative. The only country in southeast Asia (perhaps anywhere in Asia) more liberal than Singapore would be Thailand.
            As the list from WIKI above shows, Indonesia is definitely more liberal than both Singapore and Thailand.

People can dance on the bar top in the bars in Jakarta long before they are allowed to do so in Singapore. Oral sex is not a crime in Indonesia but it certainly is in Singapore (although I never know how they will enforce that). Political views and opinons can now be expressed as much and as freely as you want in Indonesia but I doubt you can do that in Singapore. I guess it depends on how you define liberal and from what perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
              Yeap, it is odd. Homosexuality is not illegal in Singapore. But the archaic sodomy law, consentual sex between two men, is.

Singaporeans are, to me, pretty open though. There are quite a number of gay bars around and I have gotten stares from lots of guys on the streets lol. I actually feel there are probably more openly gay and bisexual men here than there are in any other country in Asia (Thailand excluded)!

Well the thing is, no one here has ever gotten arrested under this sodomy law. Go fig
              I am sure it is very very safe to be gay and live in Singapore unless you are an active politician who is at odds with the government. If you are such a person, then Singapore (like its neighbour Malaysia) can easily do an "Anwar" on you . I really feel sorry for that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                Oral sex is not a crime in Indonesia but it certainly is in Singapore (although I never know how they will enforce that).
                I don't think oral sex is a crime anymore. In any case, it wasn't a crime per se in the past - it only was an offence if it wasn't immediately followed by intercourse.

not that it makes it any less dumb.

Comment

As the list from WIKI above shows, Indonesia is definitely more liberal than both Singapore and Thailand.

People can dance on the bar top in the bars in Jakarta long before they are allowed to do so in Singapore. Oral sex is not a crime in Indonesia but it certainly is in Singapore (although I never know how they will enforce that). Political views and opinons can now be expressed as much and as freely as you want in Indonesia but I doubt you can do that in Singapore. I guess it depends on how you define liberal and from what perspective.
                  Agreed. Politically, Singapore is perhaps amongst the least liberal in all East Asian countries. Sexually, well, if you stayed out of the Govt's way, and you don't do anyone below 16, then we would be pretty liberal....

Personally I don't care for Political Liberty. All I care for is a Govt that works. So far so Good. The question is when they screw up bad enough to be kicked out.

Now where is that Mas Selamat?
                  Life's A Bitch,
                  Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                    The most liberal is of course Malaysia. We've just cancelled the Avril Lavigne concert cause she's apparently too sexy..........

And in a fit of indecisiveness (to go along with our brilliant liberalness) - the concert is a go now:

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story...023&sec=nation

Comment

Jakarta does have much better night life than Singapore though. Put me down as one of those who would rather have a functioning government, some rule of law, and property rights rather than just "democracy".

Comment

can easily do an "Anwar" on you . I really feel sorry for that guy.
                        So do I. I also feel sorry for the people of Malaysia, as it's totally embarassing for them. Again.

After the farce of using that trick last time, which was rightly later dismissed as having been absolute nonsense, I was stunned to see they are going to try exactly the same thing again.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                          And in a fit of indecisiveness (to go along with our brilliant liberalness) - the concert is a go now:

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story...023&sec=nation
                          So... how was the concert? Any pics?

OK I admit that I'm a fan of Avril Lavigne.
                          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                          X