iPhone, Touch Diamond, Omnia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone, Touch Diamond, Omnia

Hi guys, would be getting a new phone soon and i am considering between iPhone 3G, HTC Touch Diamond and Samsung Omnia. Would like to get your opinion on which i should get and, if possible, can add a brief reason why it is better than the other 2. Thanks alot.

That will depend on what are you looking for in a phone. If you require a good camera, iPhone would be out (2 Megapixel).
    We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Omnia is being considered by many.

I bought it last Saturday and have been having fun with it.

It has a 5 megapixel camera, in built radio, wifi, 16GB board memory, GPS enable (of course software and maps needed), a good MP3 player etc etc and host of others.

The phone is very well designed, I would guess that Samsung did their research before putting in the final design, for example the Samsung head phones, it is detachable at the mic connection, so that you can use your prefered headphone to listen to music and at same time can answer phone calls.

This is my second Samsung, having used the i780 before buying this and both phones are great. Get it, you won't regret.
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

I have played around with both iPhone and Omnia. I found that iPhone has very nice interface, it's very quick to move from one application to another. The only thing I don't like is typing on iPhone. iPhone also a lot of disadvantages in terms of basic functions that you can find on normal phones, eg. no MMS, no forward function, no copy/paste, no music transfer using bluetooth, etc.

Omnia is slower, but the typing interface is better, although the screen is smaller. Features wise, they have more and they have better camera too.

Comment

Guy in my office has been through pretty much every phone going.....
          He's quite keen on the Omnia, but is holding out for the Sony X1......which is so delayed it's unreal......
          Personally, I've just moved from iPhone version 1 to the 3G version.
          I know the camera is low grade compared to some that are toting 5megapixels, but I'll hazard a guess and say if you're out for taking pictures, even 5 isn't enough....
          Surprisingly, despite it's lowly status, it can take some good pictures.
          http://gallery.me.com/Javaman365
          has pics from last weekends London Motorshow taken with the iPhone and with a Panasonic TZ3 (6 megapixels). Not as sharp, granted, but perfectly acceptable for general viewing.

If MMS is important, don't bother. But typing SMS - yes, initially a bit of a shock, but given a few attempts, you soon pick it up.

And unless Microsoft has really lifted it's game since WindowsMobile 5, it will hang at least once a week ( my HP Ipaq HX4700 and Fujitsi PocketLoox N560 suffered with this unexplained problem)

But the final say goes to Florian - which best suits your needs? Do a pro and con list of each.
          Last edited by Javaman; 7 August 2008, 01:44 PM. Reason: clarification
          If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

Had the Diamond for one day then sold it.
            Decided the sleek look and nice looking interface wasn't worth the trouble of actually using it.

Back to my Nokias.

Comment

The school counselor's wife bought 2 IPhones and forced him to use it. Yet he does not like it. Will be exploring it soon.

Comment

I've not exactly touched the iPhone yet, but played with the iPod which is quite similar.. Overall, I can say that I'm impressed with its interface and its usability. Obviously there are some shortcomings, but its really up to you.

As for Omnia vs Diamond? No fight really, unless its price. Omnia beats the Diamond hands down in almost every department except perhaps design, and even that might be doubtful. The only issue with Omnia is its price.

I'm using the Omnia for the past month having converted from Noka E61. I still love my E61 (its a fantastic phone), but I don't wanna buy another GPS + Phone. Omina + Garmin + Maps = a road idiot's perfect companion
                Life's A Bitch,
                Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by inix View Post
                  I've not exactly touched the iPhone yet, but played with the iPod which is quite similar.. Overall, I can say that I'm impressed with its interface and its usability. Obviously there are some shortcomings, but its really up to you.

As for Omnia vs Diamond? No fight really, unless its price. Omnia beats the Diamond hands down in almost every department except perhaps design, and even that might be doubtful. The only issue with Omnia is its price.

I'm using the Omnia for the past month having converted from Noka E61. I still love my E61 (its a fantastic phone), but I don't wanna buy another GPS + Phone. Omina + Garmin + Maps = a road idiot's perfect companion
                  If you are using Garmin XT on your Omnia, you may wish to know that the program will not boot up if you are not on a 3G network.
                  This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                    If you are using Garmin XT on your Omnia, you may wish to know that the program will not boot up if you are not on a 3G network.
                    That would be new actually. I've used it in various config including without SIM Card, and without 3G.

Especially the without SIM Card Part. I used it as a pure GPS while I'm trying to convert from my Nokia E61i to the Omnia. One thing I do note however, is that the GPS took very long to actually got a Signal.

I need to allow it to use some quick GPS setting on the phone (which requires data) before it will load quickly.
                    Life's A Bitch,
                    Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

danzer, if you are still at an indecision i suggest the following websites:

http://www.howardforums.com <--- just a vault of info (hehehe where do you think my name is from)
                      http://www.gsmarena.com <--- moderately accurate website for phone specs; has opinions as well
                      http://www.mobilitytoday.com <-- good website
                      http://www.pocketnow.com <--- excellent, extensive reviews

Hope this helps

I myself am waiting for the HTC Touch Pro US (I'm currently using a Qtek S200 (HTC Prophet)). I need a keyboard!!! I just wish the 3G band was tri-band 3G...i need 850/1900, but it would seem with both the Touch Diamond and Touch Pro the facsination with HTC to launch region specific devices. At least its Quad Band GSM GPRS/EDGE

It's great being on GSM and having an unlocked phone. Now I have a collection of "foreign" SIMs from my travels hehehe (Vodaphone Australia, AIS One-2-Call Thailand, and 2 M1 Singapore)...not to mention my Rogers Wireless SIM.
                      I'm still waiting for my cookie as my first name is Kris

Comment

Originally posted by inix View Post

Or you can try Nokia E71 which has all of the above including GPS

Comment

Originally posted by andySYD View Post
                          Or you can try Nokia E71 which has all of the above including GPS
                          E71 is a fantastic looking phone,...my current No. 1 gadget desire!

Comment

Working...
                          X