Maximising Credit Card Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximising Credit Card Benefits

As previously promised, this will be a thread about how to maximise benefits using Credit Cards. Especially Travel related Benefits.

Contributions will be well appreciated as well, but do note that my "reviews" are generally applicable to Singapore Only as this is my homebase....

Also, all these are my personal understanding after some readings, but it might not be right. So feel free to comment / advise. Cheers!
    Last edited by inix; 6 June 2008, 04:46 PM.
    Life's A Bitch,
    Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Personal Favorites.

Best Travel Related Credit Card - Citibank PremierMiles Credit Card
    Best Lifestyle Related Credit Card - American Express Platinum Credit Card
    Best General Points related Credit Card - DBS Altitude Credit Card
    Best General Dining Experience Related Credit Card - UOB Visa Signature Credit Card

Petrol Credit Cards

Best Universal Petrol Credit Card - Citibank Dividend Credit Card
    Best Esso Mobile Petrol Credit Card - DBS Esso Mobile Platinum Card
    Best Shell Petrol Credit Card - UOB Platinum / Visa Signature Credit Card
    Best Caltex Petrol Credit Card - OCBC Platinum Credit Card
    Best SPC Petrol Credit Card - POSB Everyday Credit Card

Cash Back Credit Cards

Best Cash Back Credit Card > 1000 PM - UOB One Platinum Card
    Best Cash Back Credit Card < 1000 > 3000 PM - Citibank Dividend Card
    Best Cash Back Credit Card < 8000 > 9000 Per Quarter - Standard Chartered Manhatten

Reward Points Credit Cards

Best Reward Points Credit Card (Amex) - DBS Altitude Credit Card
    Best Reward Points Credit Card (Visa / MC) - UOB Visa Signature Credit Card
    Last edited by inix; 6 June 2008, 05:01 PM.
    Life's A Bitch,
    Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Comment

American Express

Best Travel & Corporate Card - American Express Platinum Charge Card
      Best Lifestyle Card - American Express Platinum Credit Card

American Express Platinum Charge Card

From - http://www.americanexpress.com/sg/pe....shtml#airport

Do note that this is a Charge card and its different from a Credit Card. The annual fee is much higher @ S$1,200 PA, and my sources say its not really waivable.

However, what sets this card apart is the fact that it not only comes with Airport Lounge Access via Continental, Northwest, Changi and KL, it also provides a Free Unlimited Priority Pass Membership. Good for frequent travellers who might not be in F / J all the time.

This card is on invitation only, but if one wants the card, shouldn't be too difficult. Just need to call in and ask them more about the benefits. They tried to invite me this way too. Rejected as I won't pay the 1.2K.

Other Standard Amex benefits apply.

Pros - FOC Global Airport Lounge Access, Discounted Air Tickets etc...
      Cons - Expensive Annual Fee (Good if Co Pays), Charge Card (Must Make Full Payment)

Originally posted by American Express
      Airport Lounge Privileges

Plaza Premium Lounges were uniquely designed to help the weary traveler relax and unwind, 24 hours a day. Built with a full range of facilities that include showers, massage therapy, gyms, and a healthy snack menu, these lounges will no doubt calm and soothe your senses. Business travelers can also continue to work with high-speed Internet connections, office equipment and even secretarial support. Now, exclusively for American Express Platinum Card members and you will enjoy the comfort of Plaza Premium Lounges, in the airports of Singapore, Kuala Lumpur. With our compliments, of course.

In addition, American Express Platinum Card members also receive complimentary access to some of the world’s most hospitable airport lounges – Delta Crown Room Club®, Continental Airlines President Club® and Northwest Airlines WorldClubs®.
      American Express Platinum Credit Card

From - https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...94RCRD&page=PR

This is the Credit Card Cousin of the Charge Card. Card looks nicer (IMO), but fewer privileges. One of those which I like would be the Feed @ Raffles Card. Pretty useful if you entertain guests....

Originally posted by American Express

Platinum Dining

* Complimentary ’Feed at Raffles’ membership7
      o Enjoy complimentary membership (valued at S$388) to one of the most extensive dining networks in town
      o Receive up to 50% discount on your total food bill for unlimited visits at over 20 restaurants in the Raffles group of hotels.
      o Enjoy up to 20% savings at major dining establishments at Clarke Quay and Sentosa
      - Clarke Quay.Aurum, Barfly, Bice Bistro, Lotus Grill, Nectarie Le Dessert Patisserie and more
      - Sentosa Café del Mar
      Last edited by inix; 6 June 2008, 04:45 PM.
      Life's A Bitch,
      Love It

Comment

Citibank

Content to be added
        Life's A Bitch,
        Love It

Comment

Development Bank of Singapore - DBS

Content to be added
          Life's A Bitch,
          Love It

Comment

Standard Chartered Bank - SCB

Content to be added
            Life's A Bitch,
            Love It

Comment

United Overseas Bank - UOB

To be added
              Life's A Bitch,
              Love It

Comment

Overseas Chinese Banking Corporation - OCBC Bank

To be added
                Life's A Bitch,
                Love It

Comment

Here in the UK, the Amex Platinum Chargecard costs £300 a year and is well worth it IMO if you travel for the following benefits:

(i) two unlimited Priority Pass memberships, i.e. go in as many as you want (some of the lounges are quite decent) without any additional cost

(ii) travel insurance - not only for the primary cardholder but also for all of the supplemental cardholders (so just give them to members of your family) - this would pay out if (e.g.) your luggage is lost for over X (I can't remember now) hours whilst travelling

(iii) car hire insurance - this covers all damage etc so just decline all insurance (to the extent possible) offered by a car hire company. Great peace of mind that, e.g., if you scratch or dent a car, Amex will sort it out!

(iv) access to the Eurostar lounges in London and Paris for the cardholder and the main supplemntal cardholder (but not the rest)

(v) SPG gold for as long as you hold the Plat; one year of Hilton Gold

There are other benefits but the above are what I find useful. Just one unlimited Priority Pass costs more than the cost of the annual fee for the Amex Plat.

Comment

Now this is probably the oldest tread that I have digged up but I was wondering what other SQTalkers think of the Amex Platinum Charge card.
                    There is an annual fee of S$1700pa but some of the benefits (Air Privileges programme) sounds interesting. The rest seems to be very similar to the platinum reserve card and I am wondering if the annual fee is worth paying.
                    Air Privileges Programme
                    Enjoy preferential fares on international air travel when flying First and Business class, alone or with a companion on participating airlines when you purchase your tickets through the Platinum Travel and Lifestyle Concierge

Tower Club Access
                    Your Platinum Card provides you with access* to the elite, members-only Tower Club Singapore. Located on the penthouse floors of Republic Plaza, which commands breathtaking views of Raffles Place, you will enjoy membership privileges such as the use of all dining and conference facilities, as well as invitations to all club events and activities.

Airport Lounge Access

Enjoy complimentary access to more than 800 airport lounges in more than 100 countries around the world at any of our partner lounges:
                    •Priority PassTM programme lounges
                    •American Express lounges
                    •Delta Sky Club lounges

Platinum Hotel Programme

Special treatment is reserved for Platinum Card Members at a selection of exceptional hotels and resorts around the world.
                    •You and your Supplementary Card Members can enrol into the loyalty programmes of our hotel parters at an elite status, bypassing any stays/points requirements:
                    - Starwood Hotels and Resorts – Starwood Preferred Guest® – Gold
                    - Carlson Rezidor Hotels – Club CarlsonSM – Gold Elite
                    - Accor – Le Club Accorhotels – Platinum
                    •Explore the possibilities at over 770 of the world's great hotels and resorts with FINE HOTELS & RESORTS Programme
                    •Find the perfect getaway among over 520 small, but decidedly luxurious hotels around the world with Small Luxury Hotels of the World Programme

Comment

I found it decidedly underwhelming, so I stopped it. Especially when they're asking that sort of price.

Preferential airline rates can be also underwhelming, and something that's possibly achieved through other credit cards, e.g. HSBC Visa Infinite

I don't find it that useful anyway to justify

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                        Now this is probably the oldest tread that I have digged up but I was wondering what other SQTalkers think of the Amex Platinum Charge card.
                        There is an annual fee of S$1700pa
                        That's hefty annual fee, we pay £ 450 GBP in the UK (it used to be half that) for what look like the same benefits.

I've still got mine, but am also considering canning it as I use the Amex Gold most of the time now as you get double points on overseas spend and travel, so triple if it's a combination of the two. I am just annoyed I left it so long to get the Gold.

I suppose some of the Hotel status maybe useful for some but looking at them personally:

Starwood Gold- I'm already Life Gold, current Plat and heading towards Life Platinum

Club Carlson Gold- I never used this once and SQ are now offering it to KF Golds and PPS

Accor Le Club Platinum- I got this and haven't stayed at an Accor Hotel since!. I know a few who do stay at them and say the programme is a nightmare for missing points/stays etc

The one I do use funnily enough is the free Priority Pass. I have probably used a good chunk of the fee in lounge visits when killing time in airports around the world, and will probably use it again at Schiphol tomorrow as the KL lounge is crap.

In the UK we used to get CX Gold (BA Gold anyway) and Hilton Gold (but am currently Diamond, granted probably not for much longer...), which were probably the two most useful status card's the offered. Both have now been pulled, after they doubled the annual fee.

In a nutshell it's whatever you can make use of personally. Maybe if they offer a sign up or referral bonus it's worth churning one for that then cancelling it and getting a rebate on the fee ?. You can then keep all the free status for the rest of the year. The Priority Pass seems to cancel when your AmEx does.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                          In the UK we used to get CX Gold (BA Gold anyway) and Hilton Gold (but am currently Diamond, granted probably not for much longer...), which were probably the two most useful status card's the offered. Both have now been pulled, after they doubled the annual fee.
                          I received another renewal of my Amex comped CX gold in the last month or so! I assume this may be the last time.

The annual fee used to be £300 I think and was then bumped up to £450.

There are some other Amex benefits in the UK, e.g. a reduction of the annual fee on the BA Amex Plat Plus (£150 I think ?) to zero for those grandfathered in still, travel insurance (now worth much less due to the changes last year), Eurostar lounge access etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            I received another renewal of my Amex comped CX gold in the last month or so! I assume this may be the last time.

The annual fee used to be £300 I think and was then bumped up to £450.

There are some other Amex benefits in the UK, e.g. a reduction of the annual fee on the BA Amex Plat Plus (£150 I think ?) to zero for those grandfathered in still, travel insurance (now worth much less due to the changes last year), Eurostar lounge access etc.
                            You're right about the fee going from £300 to £450. Not sure I have got the fee reduction for the BA Amex, better check that. Having said that, that may be the next Amex to go has we have let three 241 vouchers expire in the last 18 months.

Us oop Norf don't use that Eurostar thingy so that benefit not much good to use.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                              we have let three 241 vouchers expire in the last 18 months.
                              I'll take it off you next time mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X