No announcement yet.

The Comedy Awards Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had to share my shock that this tarted-up 3-star hotel that I picked for my last CMB overnighter just won the TrapAdvisor Traveler's Choice 2013:

- #14 hotel in Sri Lanka
    - #18 luxury hotel in Sri Lanka

[yup methinks something's also wrong with the math there... ]

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travelers...Top-g293961#14
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...e.html#REVIEWS

Comment

• More proof that such awards are farce... they can't even do rankings properly!

Ranked lower on luxury hotels list than on overall hotels?

I wonder if the hotel managers on this list paid TripAdvisor to rank selectively only based on positive reviews.

Comment

• I actually know of a business that helps companies, including hotels, move up the rankings in search engines as well as advisories like TA. Having personally stayed at some well-ranked hotels, I would have to say that while they are good, they don't deserve their ranking, hence I always take pinch of salt when I read the top 5 or top 10 hotel list in Trip Advisor.

Comment

• This sounds like a real cracker ; Routes Airport Marketing Award. This year, they were split into two categories.

Now, they will be shortlisted for the World Routes Airport Marketing Award.

And to think, people are actually being paid for some of this stuff....

Changi Airport Group has won the Asia heat of this year’s Routes Airport Marketing Awards.

The Routes Airport Marketing Awards are designed to recognise and reward the highest standards of marketing activities undertaken by airports.

This year, the awards were split into two categories based on the size of the airport and also a new tourism award for best destination marketing campaign by a tourism authority.

2012 was a record breaking year for Changi as for the first time in 31 years of operating they welcomed over 50 million passengers through the airport. Changi has also managed to secure five new air services in 2012 bringing the total number of weekly scheduled flights up to 6,482. The ‘Changi Connects’ product, which was launched earlier this year, is a unique product which passengers can purchase and allows bags to be through connected, even if the airlines are not partners.

"It has been a great year for Changi Airport Group. To be recognised by our airline partners (with this award) for the hard work our teams have put in to secure new air services is a great endorsement of our achievements," said Toh Ern Chong, Manager Airline Development for Changi Airport Group. "We constantly strive to innovate to bring an unparalleled level of service to our customers and partners. We believe it is important to understand their needs and work closely with them so as to realise their aspirations of growth at Singapore Changi Airport."

Changi were also named as the winner from the over 20 million passengers category with Clark International Airport Corporation (CIAC) ranked top from the under 20 million passengers category. Tourism Australia was honoured as the winner of the first Routes Asia Destination Marketing Award.

Nigel Mayes VP & Commercial, Routes, said, “We are delighted to announce Changi as the winner of this regional heat of our awards and would like to congratulate them and all of our winners. Over the past 12 months Changi has achieved some amazing results. With Scoot, Drukair, AirAsia Philippines, Shenzhen Airlines and Yangtze River express all commencing operations Changi Airport now has 106 scheduled airlines flying to 240 cities in 61 countries.”

As overall winner of this regional heat, Changi Airport Group will be automatically shortlisted for the World Routes Airport Marketing Awards which will take place at the event in Las Vegas, 5-8 October 2013. Changi joins San Diego International Airport, who were announced as overall winner of the Americas heat last month.

Comment

• Clark? San Diego?

I wonder how much lump sum they paid to be ranked just behind Changi.

And I thought that some organisation already has criteria such as "15-25 million passengers" or 50+ million passengers" or something like that. Maybe the more the merrier?

Me thinks that it has reached a point where anyone on SQTalk or TOF or TripAdvisor etc can just suggest a new award and send it to these organisations (not forgetting their cheque of course ).

Comment

• Changi voted World's Best Airport (Yep, them again)

From our dear favourite Skytrax.

Laugh or cry at your own risk!

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Aw...irport2013.htm

So how much did Temasek Holdings, CAAS, or CAG pay to regain the title? And did HKIA authorities forget to do so this year?
              AMS has usually been in the top ten, but top THREE? Also, the choice for number 10 was one of the best travel-related jokes I've seen!

Also, there is a list for "World's Best Low Cost Airport" that I feel like posting here. Almost spilled my drink after seeing the category and the list of "winners"

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Aw...13/lowcost.htm

PS At least they seemed to have learned their lesson from ASA to not use "XX millions surveyed."

Comment

• SKYTRAX 2013

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/18/bu...-is/index.html

SQ is no where in sight. Another confirmation that SQ is on the decline.

A J/F revamp, even new A350s + 787s might not be enough to revive the once world's leading airline if the current management still remains.

Comment

• Skytrax World Airline Awards

Emirates is back and SQ 'retains' 3rd...

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/

Comment

• Oh dearie me. It's silly season again.

Comment

• BTW, has anyone here participated in a Skytrax survey? I haven't. Wonder where they do it, and how the "questions" are structured. Or is it entirely dependent on feedback on their website.

They have been able to invite Mr Quest of CNN to be a prize presenter, that's a great marketing move to shore up their reputation.
                      http://www.worldairlineawards.com/

Comment

• What worries me is not the perceived relative decline of SQ but how the average consumer and the media takes this dubious award so seriously.

In this day and age does one simply need to launch a big digital Public Relations campaign under the guise of a pompous "World *** Awards" and the media takes it as a global standard? Looks like good journalism has long gone the way of the dodo.

Comment

• Keeping in the spirit of the season...

Comment

• Skywho? The true road warriors know damned well they are not credible.

Frequent flyers know the real truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by young View Post
                              SQ is no where in sight. Another confirmation that SQ is on the decline.

A J/F revamp, even new A350s + 787s might not be enough to revive the once world's leading airline if the current management still remains.
                              Actually another confirmation that these awards should be treated with a grain of salt.
                              Some funny (and politically incorrect...) comments in the link. Can they really have the balls to think Skytrax = credible?

However, there is truth in your statement about SQ management. There are threads of hundreds (or even a 1000+) posts about the airline's loss in service and website functionality.

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                              Keeping in the spirit of the season...
                              Priceless!

Mods, I think this thread should be merged to the Comedy Awards thread.

Comment

• For those who bizarrely keep posting links to anything Skytrax says:

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudi...DJ_196416.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X