Self-Important DYKWIA Pax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-Important DYKWIA Pax

This is a rant, not about an airline but about an inevitable few who forget their manners and civility in the heat of the stresses of travel.

My first encounter this week: at BCN, in the Business Class line for AF, while the checkin agents were sorting out the passengers ahead of me (I was next in line), the two passengers behind me started whingeing:

"They're still talking. Can you believe it?"
    "It's just two bags. It's been 25 minutes." (Wrong, it was barely over 5 minutes. I was timing it, as I was rushing to my flight thanks to the typically unhelpful IB staff .)
    "Should I say something to them? We're in business class." (Um, who else would be in this line? )
    "Yes, why don't you find out?"
    "I'm going to say something", and the woman steps ahead of me to attempt to stand next to the two pax at the counter.

I turned to her and said, "Don't be obnoxious."
    "I wasn't talking to you."
    "You didn't need to be. You're about to be obnoxious, and you shouldn't do it."
    "(to her husband) He called me obnoxious, can you believe that? (back to me) I wasn't talking to you."
    "I don't care. You're going to take up the agent's time, so wait until it's your turn."
    [stunned silence]

My second encounter: a much-delayed BA flight CDG-LHR, after the pilot went out-of-hours due to the storm-induced delays at CDG. One passenger is declaiming how this was "utterly unacceptable" (TBH, BA handled this one badly: no information to the passengers whatsoever, until the final announcement that we were to be ticketed to the next flight because of the hours restrictions on the flight crew). When he got to the topic of the pilot manufacturing the issue, I told him, "There are reasons for the legal restrictions. You don't want a fatigued pilot flying an aircraft."

At which point he launched into how he had operated as a surgeon when he was "out of hours" and how this couldn't be worse than that. Good Lord. I just told him, "You're wrong, and you don't even realize it."

"Well, I give so much business to BA, and this is how they treat me."
    "(after a glance at his luggage tag) You're Silver?"
    "YES I AM!"
    "Stand in line, you're behind other people who give more business to the airline and who aren't being as difficult as you."
    [pause, before he storms to a counter that opened up]

A fellow pax and I had a chuckle about this episode. Thank goodness for G&Ts on board.

Meanwhile, I will now always try to take Eurostar on Friday evening travels from Paris.

[I was scheduled to get into LHR at 19.35, I got there at midnight. Sigh: the travails of a road warrior.]

End of rant.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Hahaha. You made my day. I like the way you shut their mouths up in a very gentle way, especially BA story

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
      "Well, I give so much business to BA, and this is how they treat me."
      "(after a glance at his luggage tag) You're Silver?"
      "YES I AM!"
      "Stand in line, you're behind other people who give more business to the airline and who aren't being as difficult as you."
      [pause, before he storms to a counter that opened up]
      See, that's the problem with BA. They have all this Gold and Prem wotsits.

If that chap was Krisflyer silver with SQ, he'd of course be top tier. or at least, that's what I heard a passenger at check in in front of me say once to the check in agent. He was certain in his belief about being at the top of the SQ frequent flyer food chain mind you. You could see it in his eyes. For a moment I actually believed him.

Comment

jjpb3, you've got balls.
        You sure put those two pax nicely down.

Comment

Good on ya jjpb3, give'em hell that's what I say

Comment

that is why i have so much respect for jjpb3. well played, sir!

Comment

Good on you, jjpb3!!
              Nice things that you have done.. You really have the guts..

Comment

Excellent retorts...would have loved to see their faces.

Comment

Awww, thanks for the encouraging words, y'all. I was afraid that sleep deprivation had taken away too much of my tact and self-restraint.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Well done, jjpb3.

You do have a way of putting people down with style and elegance.

Comment

I tip my hat off to ya. In your situation, I'd want to take action but end up being too kiasu to do anything
                      Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Well done jjpb3.

Comment

Originally posted by sqforever View Post
                          I tip my hat off to ya. In your situation, I'd want to take action but end up being too kiasu to do anything
                          Did you mean kiasi?

Shame on you. I'm only a small female but it hasn't stopped me from giving grownup men a (tongue)-lashing several times.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                            but it hasn't stopped me from giving grownup men a (tongue)-lashing several times.
                            I've heard of your exploits! Well done

Wah...... very Garang la this girl

Comment

Way to go jjpb3!
                              Life's A Bitch,
                              Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Working...
                              X