Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQfanatic
    replied
    Please see the attached image. In blue I have circled where the white noise typically comes from on certain airlines’ 77W (i.e. SQ, CX, AI, JL, CI, BR, KE, etc), but not others (i.e. UA, EK, BA, AF) when sitting very near the wing.

Can anyone explain what the white noise is called?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SQfanatic
    replied
    My other point is while none of us know yet, I'm assuming the new Boeing 777X's will maintain that same white noise like the current 77W.

After all, I was watching Sam Chui's video on the 777X that flew from PAE-DXB for the airshow & learned from a pilot (female) he was interviewing in the video that the Boeing 777X is different in terms of the windows & composite wings and overhead bins (I think all Boeing aircraft, long haul or short haul are having the Sky interior), but the 777 hydraulic system and maybe some things in the cockpit are recycled from the legacy 777's (772, 773, 77E, 77W). I do like that sound and you'll only hear it when you sit literally next to the wing in the middle of the aircraft and not towards the beginning or end.

Leave a comment:

• SQfanatic
    replied
    Originally posted by ell3 View Post
    Interesting you thought to write about this.
    I believe the noise you’re referring to is actually there throughout the flight perhaps less obvious when the roar of the engines are there…but on descent and approach when engines are at low throttle you’ll hear it too.
    It makes the 777s kinda noisy compared to the A350s. It’s like a bit of an echoey reverberating sound coming from above. No pilot has been able to answer me either
    I wanted to ask this on another forum for years (more than 10+ years), but have put it off for so long and I guess the way I used to describe it made it sound 'rubbish' to other folks.

Correct! Actually in the cabin, between the overhead bins, there's a speaker looking thing that makes the noise. Every 777 has that thing in the middle. However, some airline's 777's noise will come from there (i.e. SQ, CX) from the time of pushback to the end of the flight & others (i.e. EK, UA) do not make that noise.

Let me know if you want me to share a picture labeled what I'm getting at so it will provide some more clarity in this regard.

Leave a comment:

• ell3
    replied
    Interesting you thought to write about this.
    I believe the noise you’re referring to is actually there throughout the flight perhaps less obvious when the roar of the engines are there…but on descent and approach when engines are at low throttle you’ll hear it too.
    It makes the 777s kinda noisy compared to the A350s. It’s like a bit of an echoey reverberating sound coming from above. No pilot has been able to answer me either

Leave a comment:

• SQfanatic
    started a topic Boeing 777 white noise

Boeing 777 white noise

Does anyone know what the white noise is called usually? Does it come from the hydraulic system. I have ridden 2 77W's where I haven't heard the "white noise" and most others like CX and SQ where I heard the white noise.

SQ & CX white noise (i.e. taxi to take off):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btFS...nnel=WxStar101 (Cathay Pacific)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-sC...nnel=WxStar101 (Singapore Airlines)

UA's 77W (i.e taxi to take off)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmUK...nnel=WxStar101 (United Airlines)

For context, if you are sitting in the same section of the 77W (literally right next to the wing), on one airline (UA) you won't hear the white noise and on SQ and CX you will. The white noise comes from the aisles on the top (something that looks like the speakers). This noise typically starts before pushback and engine startup (and after the doors close) and ends after parking at the gate.

Does anyone know what it is called?
Working...
X