Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you prefer job with travelling or without travelling

Hi all,

Might sound like a stupid question to ask in a frequent flyer forum, but am still interested to know "Do you prefer a job that requires travelling or one without travelling".

For those with love ones at home (bf/gf, wife/husband, children etc), how do you cope with being away from them (mentally).

Serious responses only please !!

Personally, the first 7 years of my working life was non-travelling in nature as I worked in Singapore companies. Been travelling around the world for the past 2.5 years with a European MNC.
    I recognize the benefits of a job with travelling (exposure to different cultures, free holiday, higher pay etc). But it's really tough when I have to be away for longer than a week as I get extremely homesick (have a 3 month old baby boy at home).

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !!!

Acey

I feel for you, acey. If I had a young baby home, I'd find my travel schedule really burdensome.

I think I prefer a job with some travel (how's that for hedging? ), because it's a good way to earn the miles that come in handy when vacation time rolls around, and it's a good change of pace from the commute on the Underground.

But travel can feel burdensome when: (1) it's too frequent; and (2) you don't really see the place you're travelling to, or enjoy the experience, because work takes up the bulk of your time.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I'm not exactly working as I currently attend university in Vienna but I think traveling around while loved ones are waiting for you is a hard burden to bear. I really love traveling, flying, airports, foreign cultures, etc and to be precise, that's one of the great reasons that make my life complete. I could not live without traveling.

So it's somewhat of a struggle: being with the ones you love or doing what you love. I wish there would be ways to combine both but that's probably too soon for me to think about that.

But I think that if a MNC would want me to work for them, I'd definitely not say no. I know I love working and my personal philosophy tells me, that it's the right way for me to work hard and earn much (deserved) money. If working includes traveling, I'd definitely do it and hold on to the feeling to miss my loved ones. That's a feeling you only get when you really love somebody ...

I hope my post does not sound too cheesy.

Merry Christmas & a happy New Year!

Flo
      Home is where your heart is.

Comment

I spent the last 6 years in a post which involved a lot of travel and I really had a love hate relationship with it. I did enjoy the travel and I went to some really interesting places and met some great people. However the down side was travel (especially through LHR) can be a total pain. You don't get much time to actually see the country as you are there for work (and to make the most of the cost of sending you there I found I normally tried to fit in two weeks work into one week). You do miss out a lot at home.

I have now accepted an overseas posting and I am enjoying it. I still get the occassional trip but also get the chance to see some of a country.

Comment

Just to clarify...are you referring to "jobs that require traveling"only as those which have one away from home for a week (or more) at a time, and excluding those with (as an example) travel consisting of several day trips each week?

Comment

I love travelling, every aspect of it. If my work involved no travelling at all, I'd be bored to death.

My travel-related work is done ad hoc, on a free lance basis, and sometimes I can say 'no' to a trip, which gives me some flexibility.

When I have some free time at any destination, I try to make good use of it, but I never stay there longer than is neccessary, cos I tend to miss my family when I'm away (max duration for a working trip so far is about 96 hours).
            J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Originally posted by cawhite View Post
              are you referring to "jobs that require traveling"only as those which have one away from home for a week (or more) at a time, and excluding those with (as an example) travel consisting of several day trips each week?
              Howdy,

I think the impact of travelling hits someone if he has to go overseas for a prolonged period.
              Definition of "prolong" is of coz subjective to each individual. (My manager who is an expat has not seen his wife for 3 months, no prob. Maybe he is sick of her. ha ha.).

Comment

Originally posted by acey View Post
                I think the impact of travelling hits someone if he has to go overseas for a prolonged period.
                Looking at your location, you live in Singapore. Anything would be overseas. Remember that SQTalkers are all over the world. Not just who lives in Singapore. Thus, for someone who lives in the US or even Australia, a domestic business trip can come with the job.
                As an example, a friend who lives in Sydney, many times have to fly to Perth for business. And he has to stay for period of time. It's not overseas.
                Another example, friends who work in northeastern part of the US. Away for business to too many cities taking commuter plane... They might be away from the family couple days or almost two weeks, hopping around small cities in and out commuter planes. But they don't travel overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by acey View Post
                  Maybe he is sick of her. ha ha.).
                  A friend of mine works for the German ministry of foreign affairs. He moves often because his job requires him to change the embassy he is stationed in from time to time. However, if you are married to another person in this department you can request to be stationed at the same embassy as this person. Well, some people request not to be stationed in the same embassy as their partner
                  Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ Solitaire View Post
                    Thus, for someone who lives in the US or even Australia, a domestic business trip can come with the job.
                    Yeah of coz people who travel domestically, but spend prolong periods away from home are welcome to participate in this discussion.

Now that the scope of discussion is clearer, what's your take on this ? (prefer job with travelling or without travelling.

Comment

Working...
                    X