X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most overpaid jobs in America: pilots rank 9th; skycaps rank 7th

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...ist=TNMostRead

9) Major airline pilots
    While American and United pilots recently took pay cuts, senior captains earn as much as $250,000 a year at Delta, and their counterparts at other major airlines still earn about $150,000 to $215,000 - several times pilot pay at regional carriers - for a job that technology has made almost fully automated.

By comparison, senior pilots make up to 40 percent less at low-fare carriers like Jet Blue and Southwest, though some enjoy favorable perks like stock options. That helps explain why their employers are profitable while several of the majors are still teetering on the brink of bankruptcy.

The pilot's unions are the most powerful in the industry. They demand premium pay as if still in the glory days of long-gone Pan Am and TWA, rather than the cutthroat, deregulated market of under-$200 coast-to-coast roundtrips. In what amounts to a per-passenger commission, the larger the plane, the more they earn - even though it takes little more skill to pilot a jumbo jet. It's as much the airplane mechanics who hold our fate in their hands.
    7) Skycaps at major airports
    Many of the uniformed baggage handlers who check in luggage at curbside at the busiest metro airports pull in $70,000 to $100,000 a year -- most of it in cash.

On top of their salaries, peak earners can take in $300 or more a day in tips. Sound implausible? That amounts to a $2 tip from 18 travelers an hour on average. Many tip more than that.

While most skycaps are cordial, a good many treat customers with blank indifference, knowing harried travelers don't want to brave counter check-ins, especially in the post 9/11 age.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

well, at least for the American market, here is a reply:
    http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/...tech/col/smith

Comment

and for the record, who would be willing to fly on a fully-automated plane? definetly not me!

Comment

I would like to add Pharmacists and Health Inspectors to that list. These two professions get paid too much for the amount of stress they have to go through.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatfox View Post
          and for the record, who would be willing to fly on a fully-automated plane? definetly not me!
          I'm with you there. I mean, if they can't even construct reliable compu trains- how on earth are they going to construct a safe computer-plane?
          Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Working...
          X