Advice on living/career in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations, Savage25!

I can't give any real advice on London vs. Silicon Valley, but if I were you, I would probably go for the UK. I think I share Snaffled's philosophy: "My whole perspective on career moves like this is that unless there is a real glaring reason not to move somewhere new & exciting (I mean REALLY glaring) then I go..." That's what got me to Asia and flying on SQ in the first place. Not a decision I will ever regret.

Comment

congratulations Savage25! The UK has always been an inspirational place to me, especially the outer areas like Lancashire. My father brought back many pics from Marlow and its just beautiful. I wouldn't mind living in the area; only problem is the sheer cost of everything
      Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Congratulations, Savage25!
        If you do choose London, I am sure there will be more London DOs.

Comment

Congrats! Savage25. Both offers look great. You won't go wrong with either. You must be doing really well in school.

Comment

Congratulations Savage25 !! Hope you have a great career~!
            I've got 2 more years to finish off this idiotic engineering and 1 extra year to finish finance maths.

Comment

Congratulations on your offer!

Comment

congrats, Savage25 !
                J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                  You must be doing really well in school.
                  Au contraire...we have a no grade disclosure policy to recruiters, so they don't know how well (or badly) we're doing in school. Anyway, its not what you know - its what people think you know

Comment

Just would like to add a great website that has helped me find accommodation here. www.findaproperty.co.uk has a very useful map which you can help locate properties on the rental market in the desired areas.

Zone 2 - 3 ain't that bad actually, you get pretty good decent and modern apartments for probably half the price you pay in Central to get the same standard of apartment. Since your office is at Canary Wharf, that area has some really really nice and posh looking apartments, usually going for about GBP350 per week. I'm currently holed up in Zone 6 coz my office is just about here, and my 1 bedroom sets me back at about GBP 250 per week, all inclusive. And you would wanna stay near your workplace, as you could just wake up 8.30am and still make it before 9!

Problem with staying so far from central is that you wouldn't wanna travel! Takes 45 minutes to sometimes 1 hour. However, since I stay on the west, it's great when I need to travel to Heathrow!

Anyway, congrats on your offer, it's quite a good deal I must add. Just that 40% tax is such a KILLER.

Comment

Congratz Savage25!

You are an inspiration for me!

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

So I ended up tossing a coin; it came up in favor of the US.

Thought I'd make it "best of three"; still came out in favor of the US, 2 to 1.

I picked up the phone, called London and said if they send me an employment contract this week, I'd be happy to sign it, thumbprint it, whatever...

So unless something drastic happens in the next couple of days, I'm going to be moving to London in August.

Comment

Looks like London will be secure in its status as secondary hub for SQTalk.

Advanced welcome to England, Savage25.
                            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                              ...So unless something drastic happens in the next couple of days, I'm going to be moving to London in August.
                              WooHoo, many congratulations Savage25 - look forward to catching up in London!

...I presume you're going to return the Tumi laptop bag to the kind folks at the US company when you turn down their offer?

Comment

Congratulations, Savage25! The correct decision, in my view.

Comment

Working...
                                X