Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you suggest spending New Years Eve? London? Or Switzerland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you suggest spending New Years Eve? London? Or Switzerland?

I am planning a trip and the schedule will take me arriving in FRA on 31 December very early morning. The only two countries I can visit without a visa are the UK (for less than 24 hours) or Switzerland.
    Which city I should go for a memorable NY Eve? London will be too crowded and expensive for lodging. Switzerland? Romantic small town?
    Or should I be on SQ flight for NY Eve?

How about New Year's Eve in a ski resort up in the mountains in Switzerland (rather than a big city) ?

Something like this I just found on Google:

http://www.panoramas.dk/new-year-2005/FS1_zermatt.html

may be nice.

Comment

Hmm alone in a romantic place in Switzerland might not be good for my recovery!

Comment

erm... how about SYD, with Leroy, Bubba and ME

Comment

Zermatt is indeed lovely, but probably completely booked out already...

I'd say London would be good too, but I think the key thing is that you celebrate with good friends or else it might well be miserable wherever you are; for this reason, if no SQTalkers or other friends are around in either Switzerland or London, then the next best thing would surely have to be be the SQ flight

mrs nickbot and I are in Austria skiing at NY, but assume you need Schengen visa for there...

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
            I am planning a trip and the schedule will take me arriving in FRA on 31 December very early morning. The only two countries I can visit without a visa are the UK (for less than 24 hours) or Switzerland.
            Which city I should go for a memorable NY Eve? London will be too crowded and expensive for lodging. Switzerland? Romantic small town?
            Or should I be on SQ flight for NY Eve?
            SQ flight
            you'll never be alone

For New year eve, best bet is to spend it with people who are deear to you. In the absence of that, IMHO the alternative is a long haul SQ flight. I was thinking of doing the same but could not get last minute redemption tickets. So I have settled for being in S'pore for two short days. I'll be alone too in terms of you-know-what.
            Last edited by SQFAN; 2 November 2007, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              erm... how about SYD, with Leroy, Bubba and ME
              CGK....Come down under.....Kelab members wanna meet you...

Comment

I'm not sure I agree with spending it on a 12-hour SQ flight.

For me, I'd prefer being somewhere where - even if there's nobody else there with me - it's lively, there's lots going on, stuff to see and do etc. (Not how I spent a New Year's Eve one year in a dead bar in Yunnan with about a dozen people!)

How about Hogmanay in Scotland on 31 Dec ? For example, the celebrations in EDI:

http://www.edinburghshogmanay.org/

Comment

Would definitely recommend EDI if you spend new year in the UK much better than London.

I did spend new year on a LHR to SIN flight once. They made no mention of new year on the flight at all.

Comment

Cancel said flight, stay in YVR (if that is where you are still?)get a good book, some over-taxed bubbles from wine store , turn on the fireplace and enjoy!

Comment

Hey CKG, then you're in FRA at the same time, I m arriving at 07:55,
                      I would suggest going to Switzerland. Geneva is nice. And you can still see some fireworks. There I can recommend the Rocco Forte hotel Le Richemond.

regards hon2
                      You are not, who you are, you are who you want to be.

Comment

CGK i think you should stay in BC and goto Mt. Robson for new years eve, i heard its beautiful there at winter.

Comment

i'd recommend switzerland! geneva, as hon2 already mentioned is a dream. lac léman is a great location for new year's eve. but zürich, lausanne (!) and lugano would also be options to consider!

anyway, i hope you'll be having a great new years eve!
                          Home is where your heart is.

Comment

CGK, when you are alone, I think it's best to head down under. There are quite a number of SQTalkers here and I'm pretty sure you can get a visa pretty easily. We would definitely be delighted to meet the SQ's super VVVVVVVVVVIP

Comment

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
                              CGK, when you are alone, I think it's best to head down under. There are quite a number of SQTalkers here and I'm pretty sure you can get a visa pretty easily. We would definitely be delighted to meet the SQ's super VVVVVVVVVVIP
                              It's not that easy for me to get a visa to go down under.

Comment

Working...
                              X