(Frequent) flying lexicon: booking classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Frequent) flying lexicon: booking classes

I am one of the passengers who frequent Y. I take most flights on this class and I've never taken F and J before, but my parent did say that he took F/J before.

I know Y is economy, but what's F and J? My parent took first class on a SIA B747 (Forgot series number).

Originally posted by 9V-SQJ View Post
    I am one of the passengers who frequent Y. I take most flights on this class and I've never taken F and J before, but my parent did say that he took F/J before.

I know Y is economy, but what's F and J? My parent took first class on a SIA B747 (Forgot series number).
    P is for Premium First Class
    F is for First Class
    J is for Premium Business Class
    C is for Business Class
    W is for Premium Economy Class
    Y is for Economy Class

There's still more to it. Check it out here!
    We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
      P is for Premium First Class
      F is for First Class
      J is for Premium Business Class
      C is for Business Class
      Y is for Economy Class

SQ doesn't have Premium Economy.

I'm afraid some of the fare classes you cited don't exactly apply to SQ.

I can, of course, be wrong and am happy to be corrected.
      Last edited by jjpb3; 10 October 2007, 10:47 PM.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
        Y is for Economy Class

SQ doesn't have Premium Economy.

I'm afraid some of the fare classes you cited don't exactly apply to SQ.
        I hope everyone here will remember that this site has Singapore Airlines as the core. The link was given above is listed the general booking class, which from one airlines to another airlines will be different.
        As an example, when there is a fare war transatlantic and all airlines have matched offering the same fares, BA will have different class of booking than UA for example.
        And indeed, SQ doesn't have W as Premium Economy. SQ offers Executive Economy for SIN-LAX and SIN-EWR, but it's not booked in W as far as I know. Well, I had a W and E booking class when buying that LHR-SIN-LHR last April. So, I know that W is not premium economy in the case of SQ.
        Hope this reminds everyone that this site has been a reference for flyers who are looking at Singapore Airlines mostly. Thus, we should all try to give a better and more accurate information about anything related to Singapore Airlines.

Cheers from the rainy city...
        you all...

Comment

To answer the original question , F is the frequently-used abbreviation for first class, and J (or alternatively C) is the corresponding abbreviation for business class. When someone uses those letters on frequent flyer boards, they often refer to the class of travel, not necessarily the booking class.

Comment

SIA only use three classes, F, J and Y?

Typically, when my parents buy air tickets, they go for Y for the whole family. I've never ever seen other class tickets before.

Comment

No, not quite. Might you be confusing the actual booking class with the notation that appears on the BP? (That said, the notation that shows below the sequence number for First Class is P on the short BP stubs I've kept.)
              ...I've never ever seen other class tickets before.
              If you book online, you can see the fare class when you click on 'Fare Conditions' before you confirm your purchase. Many economy class fares ex-LHR are in E or W, for example. Those would be referred to on frequent-flyer boards as Y (e.g., on this thread), even though they're not full-fare (fully flexible) economy classes.
              Last edited by jjpb3; 11 October 2007, 01:10 AM. Reason: wording

Comment

Typically, when my parents buy air tickets, they go for Y for the whole family. I've never ever seen other class tickets before.
                Just make sure that your SQ Y booking class is not V, G, Q, N, nor T, which doesn't earn any miles. If you have one of those five in your booking, it will negate the whole booking as non-accruable mileage.

Just for fun, V class on SQ will get no miles. But if you are flying UA a lot like me, I have V fare class so often, which earns miles because it's a UA flight.

Confused? Welcome to the world of travel! Oh, SQ offers 3 classes: First, Business, and Economy. In each class, there is a subset for the fare booking class.

Comment

I'd love to fly R once in my lifetime...
                  Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Originally posted by up and away View Post
                    I'd love to fly R once in my lifetime...
                    Better hope it's on SQ. R on some other airlines refer to, amongst other things, discount Y, and Staff J, depending on where you look.

Of course, R also used to refer to Supersonic services across the pond with BA

Comment

On SQ....

Since this is an SQ board:

Suite Class: R
                      First Class: F P A O
                      Biz Class: Z C D J I
                      Eco Class: S Y B E M H W L K U V N Q G X

Methinks that the order in terms of tix price in general. There are exceptions though I'm sure. O, I, X are redemption class codes

Comment

IIRC SQ Executive Economy books into S.
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                          O, I, X are redemption class codes
                          As are A, D and Y (I think) - but only for Krisflyer, non A380 R class, unrestricted "non saver" awards

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                            Of course, R also used to refer to Supersonic services across the pond with BA
                            I was referring to that one...
                            Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                              IIRC SQ Executive Economy books into S.
                              S or Y usually, and I've seen some fares ex-BOM that book into M for the SIN-EWR legs.

Comment

Working...
                              X