So we think we are road warriors eh ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So we think we are road warriors eh ?

Well I am afraid we are truly playing at this travelling malarkey compared to this fella, who also confirm that the UK is home to some of the biggest lunatics on the planet:

A former cleaner from Dorset has arrived in British waters after an epic 13-year adventure over five continents, two oceans and a sea. Jason Lewis aimed to be the first to circle the global on human power alone.

The 40-year-old battled robbers, dodged pirates, crocodiles, snakes and survived a car crash in the US which broke both his legs.

He made the trip in kayaks, mountain bikes, in-line skates and a pedal-powered boat called Moksha.

Yet, despite seeing some of the world's most beautiful sights, Mr Lewis admits: "I really miss ... going to a country pub and drinking a warm beer."

"Pedalling towards the White Cliffs of Dover is just the best way to come back to England"

The 46,000-mile (74,000km) journey officially ends when he reaches the Meridian Line at Greenwich on 6 October - the same place he started on 12 July 1994, aged 26, with his colleague Steve Smith who decided to leave the expedition in Hawaii in 1999.

Mr Lewis arrived in Britain at 2100 BST on Sunday after spending a day crossing the English Channel from Calais, France on the 16th and final leg of the 'Expedition 360' journey.

The trip was against the advice of French coastguards who were concerned about his "unorthodox crossing" of the busy shipping lanes.

"The crossing was fine once we got the boat in the water - which was a little bit hairy launching in the surf - but once we got [into] deep water it was pretty straight forward," he said after arriving in Dover.

"It is funny to be here because on the surface of it, it doesn't look different to the rest of Europe but pedalling towards the white cliffs of Dover is just the best way to come back to England.

"I have been away a long time and I don't think it has sunk in as the last few days have been so frenetic with getting ready for this particular crossing.

"It's going to take a lot longer to sink in but it is a very good feeling to be back on this island."

He is now making his way up the river towards London on board Moksha, his wooden 26ft (8m) pedal-boat.

"It will be like a huge portion of my life over," Mr Lewis of Askerswell, Dorset, said last week when he arrived in Istanbul, Turkey after a 2,000-mile (3,219km) mountain bike ride through Europe.

"I am going to feel torn between saying goodbye to it, and at the same time I am looking forward to moving on to other things," the former owner of the contract cleaning company, Balistic Cleaning Services, added.

"The expedition has been my life, and it will be like getting a divorce from myself in a way.

"It is going to be very difficult saying goodbye and putting it to bed."

Mr Lewis started the journey pedalling the Moksha from Britain to France and then cycling to Portugal, via Spain.

From there he pedalled across the Atlantic to Miami via the Turks and Caicos Islands in the Caribbean.

After a four-month lay over in Miami raising funds to pay off debts, Mr Lewis roller-bladed to San Francisco.

In Colorado, Mr Lewis was run over by a car and suffered two broken legs. He was laid up for nine months.

The journey continued to Central America, Hawaii, Australia, West Timor, Singapore, Malaysia to south west China, India, northern Africa, Turkey, and then into Belgium last week.

More than 60 companies funded the major portions of his 13-year hike.

Other funds came from individuals along the way - including the British actors Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman whom he met on a sand dune in a desert in the Sudan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7021760.stm

Cap well and truly doffed.

I wonder if he'll do a TR ?.

Good on him, and more power to him!

I see that he was very smart not to plan a transit at LHR.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    Well I am afraid we are truly playing at this travelling malarkey compared to this fella, who also confirm that the UK is home to some of the biggest lunatics on the planet...
    I love the quirkiness of the English. Do the Scots and Welsh ever do such things? (That's a genuine question. )
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
      Do the Scots and Welsh ever do such things? (That's a genuine question. )
      Oh the Jocks and Taffs do plenty of stupid things, don't you worry about that.

Comment

Whoa... that'd be one hell of a TR if he ever gets to writing it.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

What a wonderful story.

The part about him arriving at the same point he started from 13 years ago is so heart-warming.
          J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Looking at his itinerary our own beloved CGK does that sort of a trip in a weekend.

Comment

Working...
            X