The SQTalk Luggage Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    I've since tested the limited lifetime warranty twice, once in Singapore and once in Bangkok (last week). No problems, the lock was faulty and they replaced (in fact they even gave me a brand new sealed box and helpfully set the combination I preferred).
    Wow, I did not know Samsonite finally decided to offer a lifetime warranty...albeit a "limited" one.

Unfortunately, it states:

This warranty covers only manufacturing defects and does not cover any damage caused by misuse (such as transportation of unusual items), neglect, accidents, abrasion, exposure to extreme temperatures, solvents, acids, water, normal wear and tear or transport damage (by airlines for example).
    Glad to hear your repair experiences in SE Asia have been good. I've had numerous arguments here in the US regarding their manufacturer defects.
    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
      definitely don't agree with you there. one of the reasons i like tumi so much, is because not only it is incredibly well-constructed, but understated as well. certainly, it is far more inconspicuous than the samsonite mcqueen collection.
      Rip on Tumi and you will evoke the wrath of taipeiflyer!

He may also be a big Tom Cruise fan. Hahahahahaha
      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
        Rip on Tumi and you will evoke the wrath of taipeiflyer!

He may also be a big Tom Cruise fan. Hahahahahaha
        ROFLMFAO!

Comment

*shifty eyes*

I knew there were some closet Tom Cruise fans here... (To be fair I liked his role in Collateral )

HUGE AL: To shed more light on the warranty issue - the lock was actually dropped *from the reception counter* by one of the 'ryokan' innkeepers we stayed with in Kyoto.

So the story goes, in Singapore, I tested it by taking the McQueen lock into the normal Samsonite shop (not the Samsonite Black Label shop, of which there are two - one in Takashimaya and one at Raffles Hotel Shopping Arcade).

The shop 'executive' instantly gave me an invoice to say they'd taken it in and got back to me the following Monday after the weekend. As it happens, I was around town anyway (without the invoice), but no matter - he told me to walk into their Takashimaya Black Label shop and there would be a brand new lock waiting.

It was exactly as he said. They reset the combination, put it into a box and sealed it in a brand new bag.

I've never had an issue with a regular Samsonite (that also has a limited lifetime warranty) so I didn't test the warranty on that. It could be that they are more 'picky' / likely to charge for repairs with their normal range over their 'bourgeoise' line. Certainly the warranties all came in a very nice sealed black envelope with a fair few pages proclaiming the lengths they would go to so that one would be satisfied with their SBL purchase. No idea here, but always good to hear what other people have experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer
            definitely don't agree with you there. one of the reasons i like tumi so much, is because not only it is incredibly well-constructed, but understated as well. certainly, it is far more inconspicuous than the samsonite mcqueen collection.
            I agree with you on both counts. I doubt many would consider the Samsonite Mcqueen collection to be "understated" or "inconspicuous."
            Originally posted by StarG View Post
            Now if only Tumi makes their 'classic' rollaway bags lighter, that would be great. Weight is the only drawback I think. I like Tumi (classic line/G4) for its shape and quality, and I think they are quite understated too. But their latest version "the Alpha collection" is not really nicer than G4.
            I really like both the G3 and G4 lines in Tumi's rollaboard collection. I haven't complained about the weight since my Tumis weigh considerably less than one of my other favorite rollaboards (which weighs in about 7-8 pounds heavier but I won't give it up ).

Comment

Just curious....

Will the Briggs & Riley lifetime guarantee cover, say, removal of numbers written in a white permanent marker on the side of your bag by, ahem, an x-ray-eyed customs inspector?

That was the first thing that occurred to me when my 22" expandable came up on the belt at Denpasar - Ngurah Rai International Airport last week. The reason for the number's appearance, which many of you may know and I realized about 20 minutes too late, only cost me $10 "tax" (paid in dollars, no receipt requested or provided).

Comment

Please shed more light on this 'tax' you speak of to avoid a white permanent marker... in case I am ever at this airport, which frankly sounds scary..

Comment

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...71&postcount=4

Comment

Originally posted by MegatopLover View Post
                    Just curious....

Will the Briggs & Riley lifetime guarantee cover, say, removal of numbers written in a white permanent marker on the side of your bag by, ahem, an x-ray-eyed customs inspector?

That was the first thing that occurred to me when my 22" expandable came up on the belt at Denpasar - Ngurah Rai International Airport last week. The reason for the number's appearance, which many of you may know and I realized about 20 minutes too late, only cost me $10 "tax" (paid in dollars, no receipt requested or provided).
                    Doubt the lifetime guarantee covers that, unfortunately. Doesn't hurt to ask, I suppose.

But if you have a neighborhood drycleaner who appreciates your business, you can ask their advice. The one I used in NYC worked miracles with impossible-seeming stains.
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Originally posted by cawhite View Post
                      I doubt many would consider the Samsonite Mcqueen collection to be "understated" or "inconspicuous."
                      Was just nosing around at the Samsonite Mcqueen collection. One of the models looks skeletal and positively creepy.

http://www.samsoniteblacklabel.com/i...e?pID=15335428

All you need is to stick this -
                      http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/im...f_the_dead.jpg - to the top.

Comment

• Originally posted by MegatopLover View Post
                        Just curious....

Something else has to be wrong with your bag (albeit extremely minor). If you send it in for a sticky zipper, they usually clean up your bag before they return it to you.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                          Was just nosing around at the Samsonite Mcqueen collection. One of the models looks skeletal and positively creepy.

http://www.samsoniteblacklabel.com/i...e?pID=15335428

All you need is to stick this -
                          http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/im...f_the_dead.jpg - to the top.
                          Bones (more correctly, 'Hero') is the only one that I don't feel safe getting...

But it's actually larger than the crocodile-textured upright. I've heard Bones is too big for USA domestic flight carry-ons and will not be permitted onboard.

However both the croc and the bones have the ostrich pattern on the inside, and the fabric feels so nice!

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                            Something else has to be wrong with your bag (albeit extremely minor). If you send it in for a sticky zipper, they usually clean up your bag before they return it to you.
                            Which zipper should I break?

Just kidding. And I was kidding about getting B&R to fix the smuggler's mark of shame. It just struck me funny that when it showed up, before I knew what it meant, my first reaction was: "Does the guarantee cover that?"

Comment

• But I wasn't...you'd be AMAZED at how much they go the extra mile for you...and HUGE AL hates dirty bags...
                              HUGE AL

Comment

• I saw this biz traveller arguing with the sweet Japanese security checker. The x-ray showed that he had something like scissor inside his carry-on. And the girl asked him politely about it. But he kept saying it's part of the frame of the carry-on (roll-a-bag), and he had been travelling around the world and no problem with the bag. I tried to see the brand of the bag but failed. It's not Tumi. It's not Somesonite. It's not TravelPro. Anyone knows what brand has metal frame that give indication like scissors? Just curious.

Comment

Working...
                                X