No announcement yet.

The SQTalk Luggage Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes, I had seen the Rimowa on the web, checked a couple of models I was interested in, but the SFO store I went to only had two Rimowa models (Topaz and Salsa), none of which were actually what I wanted (I wanted the 123lt capacity Tango).

The product itself does feel flimsy, or to put it in another way, the Tumi felt (and probably is in the long run) much more durable. Of course, for the same capacity, the Tumi was from 50 to 120% more expensive(!). I looked at a couple of carry-ons as well (especially Tumi ones), but main intention was to buy a check-in item, hence examined in greater detail the 22", 24" and 26" models from both Tumi and Rimowa.

The Rimowa was very light due to the polycarb. However, the Tumi feels much better. It also has the expandable interior (should take a photo and post here) and I found this feature extremely helpful. The new Tumi carry-ons also have this feature.

The 24" Tumi I got also has a tote inside (folded) in case you load the luggage with loads of stuff and they ask you to remove some items to make it lighter.

It's all about personal choice. Some folks in this forum have said that they would never put usd750 on an item they would check-in at the airport. A fair statement. But I wanted a strong and durable piece of kit, like the Samsonite I have (which I always check-in as well) and both the Samsonite and my new Tumi open in the same way, the function is almost the same, so I went for it.
    Last edited by N_Architect; 13 May 2008, 02:52 AM.

Comment

As for me, I'm very happy with my Rimowa Salsa 24". It isn't expandable, but that disciplines me from too much shopping ... which has always been my downfall . It seems to warp a bit particularly when it's fully loaded and you lift it by the side (not top) handles, but it snaps back into shape when you let go of the handle. I think this flexibility is the reason it can withstand the rigors of luggage handling at airports. After several trips, there's no question this is one helluva durable suitcase. I don't consider it flimsy at all.

What I like most about it is its incredible combination of lightness and durability. No other bag, not even my stalwart B&R expandable, matches the combination.

In addition, it easily stands out from the numerous black suitcases on the carousel. That's one of my quirks: I like recognizing my suitcase from afar so I can prepare to say "Excuse me" to the fellow travellers who seem to think that standing close to the carousel will cause their bags to appear sooner. I also like the fact that the suitcase doesn't have those pesky outside pockets that aren't very useful for checked luggage: as far as I'm concerned, those are just zippers needing yet another (TSA-approved) lock.

My only beef with my Rimowa: I can't strap another bag onto it. I hear the later models now allow that?
      Last edited by jjpb3; 18 May 2008, 04:27 AM.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        My only beef with my Rimowa: I can't strap another bag onto it. I hear the later models now allow that?
        Although I opened and checked the new 24" Salsa (in black), I did not observe or was not told of such a feature, which may well be there. Just noticed that the handles (on top and side) are slightly bigger and better designed.

Comment

Thanks for the info, N_Architect. Rimowa caught my eye on several of my LH flights. Was eye-ing those silver ones and I, initially, thought they were made from metal. However, I felt it gave the impression of being 'german-like'.

Comment

My Tumi T-Tech 24" is really starting to show signs of wear and Tear after only one years service, not very impressive

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
              My Tumi T-Tech 24" is really starting to show signs of wear and Tear after only one years service, not very impressive
              This reminds me, I also need to replace the wheels on my 26" G4... as they are not 'round' anymore.

However, I'm still happy with my 20" cabin but then again it only got checked in once.

Comment

Mine is the fact that we have to pack our items in two 'compartments' inside: above the zipper and below the zipper.
                I have decided to use my Rimowas just on US flights where every kg matters. For the rest of my flights... my Tumi G4s serve my needs better.

Comment

The Rimowa Tango and other models have bags for internal organisation of the contents. Unlike the basic Rimowa Salsa model which is just a big box on wheels which, due to its grooves and everything being just chucked inside, phaleesy calls my dustbin!

Comment

In addition, it easily stands out from the numerous black suitcases on the carousel.
                    I'm not sure about that, jjpb3. I've noticed quite a few of these black bins on conveyor belts, buses and trains. jhm has gone after the wrong bin in a few instances.

However, I love the dustbin. It is so very light!

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                      I'm not sure about that, jjpb3. I've noticed quite a few of these black bins on conveyor belts, buses and trains. jhm has gone after the wrong bin in a few instances.

However, I love the dustbin. It is so very light!
                      The black and silver ones (particularly the non-Salsa models) are not that uncommon, I agree. But mine is the Prosecco, and for insurance, I also use one of those red luggage belts around it. Quite easy to spot.

Love your nickname for the luggage.
                      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I recently switched my old Camel Active and regular Samsonite last December whilst on holiday in Bangkok.

Central Chidlom was doing a sale on the Samsonite Black Label collection (McQueen range @ 25% off) and after going back to the hotel, checking on the Internet, realised the price they had was quite a bit below normal, and definitely cheaper than buying in Singapore.

It helped that it came with quite a few additions too: funky TSA-approved lock, ostrich-patterned compartments and separate laundry/shoe bags, mobile phone/lock holder.

I've since tested the limited lifetime warranty twice, once in Singapore and once in Bangkok (last week). No problems, the lock was faulty and they replaced (in fact they even gave me a brand new sealed box and helpfully set the combination I preferred).

Since then, having felt pleasantly surprised with the experience, I have purchased two silver X-Lites (one was going at 50% off in Singapore Takashimaya in Feb for only $S470 for a carry-on X-Lite hybrid *i.e. soft top, hard back*) and the other a hybrid X-Lite backpack (this time, with 20% off at the store and 7% off at the airport)/*slide-on* in Bangkok, same deal as a strap on without having to strap it on.. the backpack came with a laptop 'box-shaped' carrier (easy enough to unzip the top and just yank out the laptop - easy enough to do, worked fine with Suvarnabhumi security, took 2 seconds) and document carriers, protective carrying case etc..

I liked the McQueen passport holder and I just had to get it last week as well but it was a bit pricey I must admit! Probably the most unnecessary purchase out of the four. But for some reason the customs officials at both BKK / SIN tended to be a bit more courteous than previous occasions when doing their thing.

And since it's all for carry-on purposes, I don't have to worry about people with light fingers. Now having 3 items, though, I tend to consider if it's a long or short trip and if I'm doing alot of shopping. If it's a big shopping spree, the McQueen is actually more spacious and I'll bring that one along. I also do feel that an X-Lite seems lighter than a Rimowa or a Zero Halliburton. As for Tumi... I wouldn't use that brand for the very reason that Tom Cruise keeps flaunting his.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                          I recently switched my old Camel Active and regular Samsonite last December whilst on holiday in Bangkok.

Central Chidlom was doing a sale on the Samsonite Black Label collection (McQueen range @ 25% off) and after going back to the hotel, checking on the Internet, realised the price they had was quite a bit below normal, and definitely cheaper than buying in Singapore.

It helped that it came with quite a few additions too: funky TSA-approved lock, ostrich-patterned compartments and separate laundry/shoe bags, mobile phone/lock holder.

I've since tested the limited lifetime warranty twice, once in Singapore and once in Bangkok (last week). No problems, the lock was faulty and they replaced (in fact they even gave me a brand new sealed box and helpfully set the combination I preferred).

Since then, having felt pleasantly surprised with the experience, I have purchased two silver X-Lites (one was going at 50% off in Singapore Takashimaya in Feb for only $S470 for a carry-on X-Lite hybrid *i.e. soft top, hard back*) and the other a hybrid X-Lite backpack (this time, with 20% off at the store and 7% off at the airport)/*slide-on* in Bangkok, same deal as a strap on without having to strap it on.. the backpack came with a laptop 'box-shaped' carrier (easy enough to unzip the top and just yank out the laptop - easy enough to do, worked fine with Suvarnabhumi security, took 2 seconds) and document carriers, protective carrying case etc..

I liked the McQueen passport holder and I just had to get it last week as well but it was a bit pricey I must admit! Probably the most unnecessary purchase out of the four. But for some reason the customs officials at both BKK / SIN tended to be a bit more courteous than previous occasions when doing their thing.

And since it's all for carry-on purposes, I don't have to worry about people with light fingers. Now having 3 items, though, I tend to consider if it's a long or short trip and if I'm doing alot of shopping. If it's a big shopping spree, the McQueen is actually more spacious and I'll bring that one along. I also do feel that an X-Lite seems lighter than a Rimowa or a Zero Halliburton. As for Tumi... I wouldn't use that brand for the very reason that Tom Cruise keeps flaunting his.
                          definitely don't agree with you there. one of the reasons i like tumi so much, is because not only it is incredibly well-constructed, but understated as well. certainly, it is far more inconspicuous than the samsonite mcqueen collection.

Comment

Now if only Tumi makes their 'classic' rollaway bags lighter, that would be great. Weight is the only drawback I think. I like Tumi (classic line/G4) for its shape and quality, and I think they are quite understated too. But their latest version "the Alpha collection" is not really nicer than G4.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                              Now if only Tumi makes their 'classic' rollaway bags lighter, that would be great. Weight is the only drawback I think. I like Tumi (classic line/G4) for its shape and quality, and I think they are quite understated too. But their latest version "the Alpha collection" is not really nicer than G4.
                              StarG, you and me have such similar tastes it is scary. I, too, prefer the G4 to the Alpha. The G4 is great!

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                                Now if only Tumi makes their 'classic' rollaway bags lighter, that would be great. Weight is the only drawback I think.
                                I'm in full agreement with you on that. That's about my only gripe.

Comment

Working...
                                X