The SQTalk Luggage Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    OK - I've finally decided to get a Rimowa Bolero.

It seems similar to the Rimowa Salsa which jjpb3 mentioned above but with the addition of outside pockets (which I find useful for putting my passport, tix etc) and some internal organsation (adding in total about 500g to the weight). I hope it'll fit into a LHR gauge.

I know the Rimowa is ugly but the main reason for getting it to replace my existing Samsonite bought last year (still alive and well despite bouncing over the cobblestones of Zurich ) is that it's marginally bigger and the case is thinner. Enough to - I hope again - hold my work 19" laptop so that I don't have to carry it in a laptop bag and check-in my carry on like before.

If the Rimowa arrives in time, I'll be taking it for my fortnight trip to Japan starting next week.

Thanks again for all the advice! (Now to think about replacing my suitcase... )
    It sounds like you found exactly what you were looking for. Let us know how you like it after you've had a chance to travel with it.

I'm hoping to pick up a new Tumi next week, which will be used for carry-on and gate-checked only. For checked luggage, I still have my workhorse that I'm very happy with.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
      Hmmm now we use we.
      Anyhow, enjoy your trip to Tokyo!
      jhm appears to have a valid excuse... But what happened to you at SFO, CGK?

Just to let you know (in case you're in the neighborhood), I will be in MNL the 4 - 7...
      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
        But what happened to you at SFO, CGK?
        I was in San Francisco Sunday night, and just arrived back in Vancouver.

Comment

OK - I've finally decided to get a Rimowa Bolero.

It seems similar to the Rimowa Salsa which jjpb3 mentioned above but with the addition of outside pockets (which I find useful for putting my passport, tix etc) and some internal organsation (adding in total about 500g to the weight). I hope it'll fit into a LHR gauge.

I know the Rimowa is ugly but the main reason for getting it to replace my existing Samsonite bought last year (still alive and well despite bouncing over the cobblestones of Zurich ) is that it's marginally bigger and the case is thinner. Enough to - I hope again - hold my work 19" laptop so that I don't have to carry it in a laptop bag and check-in my carry on like before.
          Just to update this. I find the Bolero's outside pockets extremely useful - particularly as getting items out of the case isn't easy because of its rigid clamshell zippered design. In particular, when going through security, I do find it a pain to have to lay the case flat on the ground or a table, unzip it almost fully (taking care nothing drops out) and take out my laptop.

Compare that to (say) my Samsonite with its flexible cloth exterior (with a front panel which unzips open) where I can quickly and easily get a laptop out. Other than that minor annoyance, I think the Bolero is great.

The Bolero cabin trolley DOES fit into a LHR gauge (or to be more precise, the BA gauge which I tried) and comfortably fits my 19" laptop inside.

Thanks again for all the advice! (Now to think about replacing my suitcase... )
          And thanks to fog, LH and Amex Plat , I'll be buying (amongst other "necessities") a Rimowa Salsa today. Here in Japan (Nagoya), it's cheaper than the UK price (where I bought my Bolero) and that's even before the small tax rebate. I found a selection of Rimowa, Tumi, ZERO Halliburton etc in the luggage section of the Mitsukoshi department store. Being kiasu (afraid to lose), I'll probably go for the 29" model in a striking red (as black is sold out) but even I think that the 32" model is a bit too much. Unfortunately, no Redoxx (as recommended by jjpb3 - the Sky Train) to be seen otherwise I'd get one of those as well.
          Last edited by jhm; 26 December 2007, 09:28 AM.

Comment

And thanks to fog, LH and Amex Plat , I'll be buying (amongst other "necessities") a Rimowa Salsa today. Here in Japan (Nagoya), it's cheaper than the UK price (where I bought my Bolero) and that's even before the small tax rebate. I found a selection of Rimowa, Tumi, ZERO Halliburton etc in the luggage section of the Mitsukoshi department store. Being kiasu (afraid to lose), I'll probably go for the 29" model in a striking red (as black is sold out) but even I think that the 32" model is a bit too much.
            I realised before going today that the largest 32" model's dimensions don't meet the criteria which (for example) BA set for their luggage - "Maximum dimensions per bag (H+W+L): 158cm (62in)". So no need to agonise about whether to go for that model or the 2nd largest 29" model (which I bought in the end).

They also had a similar selection of Rimowa, Tumi etc in Takashimaya department store so I guess these brands must be quite common in top end department stores in Japan.

Comment

Wow a shopping spree...

Comment

As I had nothing better to do at 4am in the morning here in Nagoya (no parties in my suite unlike CGK and cawhite ), here's a picture of the Salsa:

next to the Bolero (on the left) with the two front zippered pockets and the top which opens out to become:

Comment

jhm, you need luggage that has a lifetime guarantee from getting lost.

Comment

Thanks again to those who contributed to this thread. My Eddie Bauer there's-still-room-for-more-in-here duffle is starting to show some wear. And Mr. Megatop gives me huge amounts of grief about carrying very heavy bags on my shoulders. Plus, a stiff-sided bag would be better for transporting wine in checked baggage, as I frequently do. So, I'm probably going to go shopping for some nice luggage. I'll look at Tumi, but B&R seems to have a good combination of sturdiness, warranty, less-than-stratospheric prices, fine brand, and flying below the "STEAL ME" radar.

I'll report back after further study.

Comment

Study over. I'm now the proud owner of a nice set of black B&R luggage: the 28# mega-expandable, the 22" expandable rollaboard, the non-rolling garment bag, and the carry-on tote. First trip this weekend, ATL-BOS to see family. I'm sure all will go well.

I got mine at 15% below MSRP, which basically means I got the tote for free. SQTalkers in the US: feel free to PM me and I'll give you details of where I bought it. For one piece, I think they'd probably go 10% off. For more than one, 15%. I suspect they'd ship anywhere in the US, and if it's outside Georgia, you might avoid sales tax.

Comment

Welcome to the B&R Club, MegatopLover!!
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Excellent choices, MtL.

Out of curiosity, which tote was the one you finally chose? I think there are several models that have carryon dimensions.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                            Excellent choices, MtL.

Out of curiosity, which tote was the one you finally chose? I think there are several models that have carryon dimensions.

A little Bear told me....(actually 2: Ryu and his cousin Liam) that YOU-jjpb3 made an excellent purchase too, over the weekend, at the City of Lights.

Care to tell us about your latest acquisition?

And what's this thing that the bears were raving about champagne being served to them at the boutique?

Comment

Originally posted by MegatopLover View Post
                              Study over. I'm now the proud owner of a nice set of black B&R luggage: the 28# mega-expandable, the 22" expandable rollaboard, the non-rolling garment bag, and the carry-on tote. First trip this weekend, ATL-BOS to see family. I'm sure all will go well.

I got mine at 15% below MSRP, which basically means I got the tote for free. SQTalkers in the US: feel free to PM me and I'll give you details of where I bought it. For one piece, I think they'd probably go 10% off. For more than one, 15%. I suspect they'd ship anywhere in the US, and if it's outside Georgia, you might avoid sales tax.
                              Enjoy your purchases! While I didn't go with B&R for my latest two rollaboards, I have a B&R tote bag I purchased several years ago and it's been fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ Solitaire View Post
                                A little Bear told me....(actually 2: Ryu and his cousin Liam) that YOU-jjpb3 made an excellent purchase too, over the weekend, at the City of Lights.

And what's this thing that the bears were raving about champagne being served to them at the boutique?

A very nice bag you bought, jjpb3. It's LV, right? Did you get it at the store that has a long line up during summer with Japanese tourists at ave des champs elysees? It must be soothing to shop with champagne served...

Comment

Working...
                                X