No announcement yet.

The SQTalk Luggage Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does Victorinox's lifetime warranty work? Anyone have any experience?

Their claim:
    Products covered by the Lifetime Warranty are guaranteed to be free from manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship for the life of the product. If such a defect appears, we will repair your product or replace it, as appropriate and at our discretion, with the same or an equivalent model, free of charge. This guarantee is non-transferable and does not cover cosmetic damage, wear and tear, damage resulting from abuse, misuse, unauthorized repair or improper handling, common carrier damage, loss of use, loss of time or damage to the contents of your bag. Shipping costs to our repair center are the responsibility of the owner. The original sales receipt verifying the date of purchase from an authorized retailer is required to validate your warranty coverage. Any repairs made will restore the intended functionality. While repairs will be made professionally, we cannot guarantee the original appearance to be preserved. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state or country to country.

Comment

• I just received cash as a graduation present from my extended family which I used to fund my first Rimowa, a black Salsa Deluxe IATA carry-on.
      The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

• Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
        I just received cash as a graduation present from my extended family which I used to fund my first Rimowa, a black Salsa Deluxe IATA carry-on.
        That's an excellent investment, Viraj735!

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
          That's an excellent investment, Viraj735!
          Thanks CarbonMan! I was looking at the Classic Flight carry-on but I don't think I could deal with it getting beaten up after forking out that much money.

That being said, whilst people watching at numerous airports in the US I really enjoyed seeing the aluminium Rimowa cases, all slightly dented, some decked out with stickers which really give the case a unique identity, a story and a very retro, romantic image.

I looked at base Salsa models and found the matte black and grey to be rather dull in comparison to the glossy Salsa Deluxe bags hence my decision.

The Limbo and Topas Stealth look the coolest IMO but haven't seen many around.
          The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

• Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
            Thanks CarbonMan! I was looking at the Classic Flight carry-on but I don't think I could deal with it getting beaten up after forking out that much money.
            Whatever you do, just don't do one of those Gladwrap cocoon thingamajik - I truly find it very strange-looking and a total waste of good plastic.

You're right in that a well-used banged-up luggage bag is like a well-worn fading pair of jeans (not the new torn ones!) - gives a sense of travel. Alas, my Rimowa is still glossy despite almost 3 years of travel. Tsk, tsk.

Comment

• Replacement Key for TSA007 Lock

hi Guys, trying to seek some help here; I know it can sound ominous enough, but all sincere and genuine predicament.

I misplaced the keys (a pair but they were ringed together) to my Victorinox TSA 007 Lock, locking it to the inside zipper of a hand-carry. No immediate damage or inconvenience except the mental-flagellation I subject myself each time i see it.

Any one know if another key to a similarly labelled TSA 007 Lock - I'm thinking of buying another TSA007 Lock - will be able to open it? Or is there another way to solve my problem?

Perhaps those in the know can PM me pls? thanks ahead

Comment

• After much agonising, and a last-minute change of heart re. two-wheels vs. spinner, I ordered this (but from John Lewis with a good discount compared to normal UK rip-off pricing):

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...pinner_U121SPW

My first "decent" carry-on, and very excited!

Comment

• Congratulations stargold.

They're really well made. Deal breaker for me is the weight.

And their light weight models aren't as nice.

I've been admiring them for years

Comment

• any advise on cheapest place to get a rimowa in frankfurt town? will be there in January.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQDoubter View Post
                      any advise on cheapest place to get a rimowa in frankfurt town? will be there in January.
                      Usually the cheapest way is to order online. Just ship it to your hotel. I bought my Rimowas here: http://www.koffer-direkt.de/ (There is currently a 10% promotion, you enter gw2013xmas at check out). There are no shipping cost.
                      Unfortunatly the page is online in German.

Also I'm not sure if you can get back the 19% VAT, you probably have to ask the shop directly.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQDoubter View Post
                        any advise on cheapest place to get a rimowa in frankfurt town? will be there in January.
                        if you don't mind a Lufthansa logo on the Rimowa, you can get it from the airport..... otherwise, Brussels airport is cheaper...
                        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBoatBoy View Post
                          Usually the cheapest way is to order online. Just ship it to your hotel. I bought my Rimowas here: http://www.koffer-direkt.de/ (There is currently a 10% promotion, you enter gw2013xmas at check out). There are no shipping cost.
                          Unfortunatly the page is online in German.

Also I'm not sure if you can get back the 19% VAT, you probably have to ask the shop directly.
                          If you specify a shipping address outside the EU then VAT is deducted

Comment

• Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was hoping there was a store like hezneckers in Munich. They sold at discounted rates, with an additional 10% off for cash payments and VAT refund receipt too. When compared to koffer direkt and Koffer24, it was still cheaper.

Comment

• Originally posted by stargold View Post
                              After much agonising, and a last-minute change of heart re. two-wheels vs. spinner, I ordered this (but from John Lewis with a good discount compared to normal UK rip-off pricing):

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...pinner_U121SPW

My first "decent" carry-on, and very excited!
                              Welcome to the club!

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                              Deal breaker for me is the weight.
                              Yup...their only downside... But they sure are EXTREMELY well made.
                              HUGE AL

Comment

• I have found out that Koffer24 has a physical store at Schafergasse near the Zeil shopping street. Koffer24 seems to be cheapest of all the online stores. I'll check it out and let everyone know in a few weeks if its worth visiting the physical store.

Comment

Working...
                                X