The SQTalk Luggage Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
    Just wondering if it's still cheaper to buy Rimowas in NYC rather than (e.g.) Germany ?
    I was in NYC in August last year and in Frankfurt and Zurich over the last few months. Definitely still cheaper to buy Rimowa in Frankfurt and Zurich, especially if you claim back the 11-12% VAT (but you have to cater enough time to do so as there is usually a long q)

Comment

• EU resident so no VAT refund possible!

Comment

• Anyone here swear by the polycarbonate bags?

True they are ultralight but anything else going for them?

You can't live out of them in a hotel because they don't have a "lid".

ie have to unpack the contents

And my wife's Rimowa got its first "purple heart" on our trip to London, a dent in one corner.

Comment

• I've had my polycarbonate Rimowa for 5-6 years and it's endured hundreds of flights and hotel stays. They're ultralight (especially important if going on train/bus trips) and I like to think that the scruffed/scratched black polycarbonate doesn't attract as much unwanted attention as shiny dented metal. The lock broke a long time ago so I just use a combination padlock.

If you have lots of space in a hotel, you can open both halves fully and use it like that. Otherwise, you have to unpack as you say or live out of a packed case (possible but untidy). I find it more of a pain if I need to open the case outside in an airport.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
            Anyone here swear by the polycarbonate bags?

And my wife's Rimowa got its first "purple heart" on our trip to London, a dent in one corner.
            Yeah - I LOVE them. I don't know what else they might have going for them, but i do love the way they look. I've got a shocking pink limited edition salsa air which i swear gets treated more delicately by baggage handlers than my other air and deluxe or any other suitcase i've owned. It has far fewer scratches and dings. I can't prove it of course, but I have a sneaky feeling that when handlers see it they can't bring themselves to "throw" it like they do with other bags

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
              Anyone here swear by the polycarbonate bags?

I have 4 of them - 1 Rimova, 2 Samsonites and a Lojel. Yes, the only advantage seems to be the weight and a major one at that. I have them in a few sizes; the large ones for long biz trips and the medium and small ones for holidays (especially when I intend to move around a lot). While the shell concept takes up more space, i find that the shallow depth on each side helps me to find my stuff.

Prefer the combination locks vs the key (Lojel), as I have this fear that I may misplace the latter, just another thing on a long list of things to remember - not good during time pressure situations. The zips are cumbersome to open/close especially on the big bags - however, it does reduce the chance of an accidental opening.

I have had them for about 3 years now, so far so good.

Comment

• Any comments or experiences on "Bric's" luggage?

Comment

• Airbus Unveils Prototype iPhone-Enabled Smart Luggage

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/06/...smart-luggage/

The bags include RFID chips for next-generation airline baggage handling and a barcode that syncs with an iPhone app that includes a 'Find My Bag' feature that hooks into airline databases to give you up-to-the-minute data on the bags location. They also have a digital scale built into the handle of the bag that talks to the iPhone's app...Christened 'Bag2Go', the concept has been developed in partnership with mobile carrier T-Mobile and German luggage maker Rimowa.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

• RFID tech is readily available and cheap (cheap enough to be considered to be attached onto every supermarket item) but the cost and expense to change all the optical scanning equipment at airports to RFID scanners may be prohibitive, and one needs to get every airport to agree to adopt the tech - thru IATA? The big advantage of RFID tech, as far as I've read, is the speed that it is able to scan a whole pile of stuff in one go, as it does not require sequential line-of-sight as in today's laser scanning. Imagine the time saved being able to identify every bag in a container in a single scan, especially when a no-show happens just before takeoff. In my mind, that would be the next big leap in luggage handling.

I'm however a tad curious how they would convince airport services to allow their databases to be accessible by a third-party - the security implications.

Comment

• Thanks for that.

One more question, to our European-residents:

Where can I buy Rimowa online in Europe? I'd like to buy in any online store and then have it delivered in Greece.

Found Rimowa here y'day (Lotte Busan) but they're more than double price...

Comment

• Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                        Thanks for that.

One more question, to our European-residents:

Where can I buy Rimowa online in Europe? I'd like to buy in any online store and then have it delivered in Greece.

Found Rimowa here y'day (Lotte Busan) but they're more than double price...
                        You need to look out for it, but once in awhile mrpotter.com will have a good sale for Rimowa bags.

Comment

• Cheers for that, too.

Also got koffer24.de (found it myself but thought they wouldn't deliver, then another SQTalker alerted me, thanks again).

Comment

• Any one knows where I could buy a Skooba Design Cable Stable DLX in Singapore?

http://www.skoobadesign.com/laptop-cable-stable-dlx
                            This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

• I wouldn't mind getting a Cable Stable DLX with you if you want to save on shipping. Their Superbungee also looks great... thanks, I might go ahead and get a few sent over to SG regardless. I don't need it so soon, as I have something similar, but marginally inferior...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                                I wouldn't mind getting a Cable Stable DLX with you if you want to save on shipping. Their Superbungee also looks great... thanks, I might go ahead and get a few sent over to SG regardless. I don't need it so soon, as I have something similar, but marginally inferior...
                                well, if you are ordering, let me know...... I have been recommended to get cocoon organiser....

http://www.cocooninnovations.com/

I will probably get one tonight from T3....
                                This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Working...
                                X