The SQTalk Luggage Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stargold View Post

Shame I can't do the full gear 20-mile jog in the army with a B&R rollaway. I bet it will be so much more comfortable
    Can we expect a TR?

Comment

• I am searching for a mens messenger bag that is in the range below
      $800<x<$1200
      any suggestions?
      I know when you airline bling, that could only mean one thing

Comment

• Check out the Dolce&Gabbana black calf leather messenger that debuted for Fall/Winter '09. It's totally gorgeous and has a glossy finish, and I literally moaned with pleasure when I saw it. It was selling in Seoul for approx S$1050, there shouldn't be that much price variance with Singapore. In fact you might even get a discount as end of season sales beckon.

I also love my Prada black calf leather messenger from Spring/Summer '09. Has a v timeless look, and it rather roomy and of a great size for travelling.

Now I know your budget starts at $800 but Yoshida Porter does some awesome messengers for much less. V stylish, practical and great value. I got one of their totes to carry uni textbooks and it turns lots of heads, people keep thinking it's one of those big Italian labels.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 7 October 2009, 09:15 PM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          I literally moaned with pleasure when I saw it.
          Is there a figurative meaning for 'moan with pleasure'?

Note to self: wait to ask KeithMEL about his shopping until waaay after the act.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            Note to self: wait to ask KeithMEL about his shopping until waaay after the act.
            Well, shopping IS a cardiovascular activity too! Probably the only form of sport I ever do. Heart racing when you see a 'sale' sign, even more when the purchase is complete and it's finally yours, sprinting from one end of Harvey Nichols' to the other when you see another person admiring the last 50% off Paul Smith military denim bag, sample sales (enough said)... etc
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...TRAGE1113.html

comparison of a Rimowa model prices round the world

Comment

• anyone using the samsonite cosmolite series?
                the weight specifications is impressive to say the least

looking for a lightweight luggage to replace my current brick that i have

Comment

• I saw it and was actually quite impressed. It's using the CURV material that they use on the Black Label X-Lites which really helps keep the weight down whilst still being relatively flexible. If I had to go for a bag from the regular Samsonite range, the Cosmolite series would be what I'd go for.

Comment

• Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                    Check out the Dolce&Gabbana black calf leather messenger that debuted for Fall/Winter '09. It's totally gorgeous and has a glossy finish, and I literally moaned with pleasure when I saw it. It was selling in Seoul for approx S$1050, there shouldn't be that much price variance with Singapore. In fact you might even get a discount as end of season sales beckon.

I also love my Prada black calf leather messenger from Spring/Summer '09. Has a v timeless look, and it rather roomy and of a great size for travelling.

Now I know your budget starts at $800 but Yoshida Porter does some awesome messengers for much less. V stylish, practical and great value. I got one of their totes to carry uni textbooks and it turns lots of heads, people keep thinking it's one of those big Italian labels.
                    Thanks for your review! Comes in handy, will be hunting for a msgr bag soon.

Any other suggestions? Will be headed to BCN/ MXP/ CDG & LHR soon. Never thought it would be a shopping trip for me too.

Comment

• My rollaboard which has racked up over 1 million miles and countless countries is beginning to fail (inside the wheel mechanism).

So looks like I'll need to shop for a new one next year. Any suggestions?

Needs to be smallish (easily carried onboard nearly every a/c type), durable (I've dragged my current one over cobblestones in countless cities, and up and down hillsides on the way to/from accommodation & meetings), affordable, easily picked up somewhere in my travels (shipping is too expensive).

Comment

• That's a darn good track record for a suitcase, Kiwi. Do you just want a change, or is the manufacturer discontinuing the line?

I'm still a fan of B&R, but lately I've grown to appreciate Delsey. They're tougher than I remember them to be, and I actually end up using the pockets designed into them. I've found that many suitcases come with pockets that end up being either unused or used just because the main spaces had been used up -- a lesson for me that choosing bags is also about finding one that meshes well with my packing style.
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• I like my Salsa and have been leaving my Tumi behind for weight reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                            That's a darn good track record for a suitcase, Kiwi. Do you just want a change, or is the manufacturer discontinuing the line?
                            I'm not sure if I can get another the same anymore. It isn't a brand item - shocking I know.

Comment

• Originally posted by andySYD View Post
                              I like my Salsa and have been leaving my Tumi behind for weight reason.
                              I don't buy Tumi for that very reason. Too heavy.

When it comes to check in bags, light ( empty ) weight trumps everything else when I choose.

Of course, must look like it will stand up to many years of hard use too!

Comment

• Originally posted by sabian View Post
                                Thanks for your review! Comes in handy, will be hunting for a msgr bag soon.

Any other suggestions? Will be headed to BCN/ MXP/ CDG & LHR soon. Never thought it would be a shopping trip for me too.
                                Just picked up a very clever number from D&G on Bond St as a gift for the other half who's also been looking for a new messenger bag. It's both a messenger and a briefcase when straps are removed, and due to its size can also be a computer bag. Comes in snake skin leather (of which they only had 2 left so hurry!) or nylon/leather. Naturally the former is rather more, to borrow a quote from VC10 Boy, reassuringly expensive. Cheapo ole me went for the nylon/leather make, which actually seems more durable and hence more suited to daily use, even though the snake skin option is a stunner.
                                Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 December 2009, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X