The SQTalk Luggage Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
    There will be a premium for Akita-proof certification.
    Should be no problem for Tumi's ballistic nylon,...but LV's leather might be a different proposition for a teething youngster

Comment

• If anyone is keen, there's a sales promotion of 40% off now going on at the Samsonite shop at Raffles Place. Even the Hommage series is going for 40%.

Comment

• Oh tempting... but I bet it's not store-wide, is it?

Comment

• Monocle have an article on Rimowa. Interestingly, they say:

Rimowa recently rolled out a programme with a series of five-star hotels ranging from the Grand Hyatt in Shanghai to the Sacher in Vienna, whereby guests can hand in their damaged Rimowa suitcase at the reception, and it will be returned to them repaired within 24 hours.
          Anyone know where to find a list of such hotels ? I have a case which needs some TLC (a forced lock even though it's TSA). If no ideas, I may e-mail them to ask.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            Oh tempting... but I bet it's not store-wide, is it?
            I can't confirm if its store wide but given they even give the 40% to one of their top series : Hommage, I guess it may be worth popping down for a look.

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
              Monocle have an article on Rimowa. Interestingly, they say:

Anyone know where to find a list of such hotels ? I have a case which needs some TLC (a forced lock even though it's TSA). If no ideas, I may e-mail them to ask.
              A list can be found here

http://www.rimowa.com/main.php?count...#repairservice

Comment

Monocle have an article on Rimowa. Interestingly, they say:

But is there a fee for such service?
                HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                  But is there a fee for such service?
                  Presumably so but time is money.

Comment

Presumably so but time is money.
                    And Briggs Riley is free!
                    HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                      And Briggs Riley is free!
                      It should be, given the turnaround time in the UK.
                      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Dear Luggage Experts @ SQTalk,

Reading the whole thread, I get the impression that the discussion is about high end luggage. But, hope for getting the answer of my curiousity. Am I right to say that Samsonite and Delsey has similar quality? Anyone knows about Heys luggage?

Thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by AC Flyer View Post
                          Am I right to say that Samsonite and Delsey has similar quality? Anyone knows about Heys luggage?
                          I'm no expert but have experience with Delseys. One of my Delsey is more than 15 years old. It is too heavy to use now with the advent of polycarbonates. I was waiting ages for it to break so I could get a new lightweight but it just refused to listen! Anyway, I got a polycarb in the end when I had too much shopping during a trip and needed extra luggage space.

I'm currently using another Delsey which I've owned since 2006. I use it for weekend trips and also to lug my stuff around when I move between accommodation every week. Still working fine despite the abuse.

I think Delseys and Samsonites are similar in quality. JMHO.

I have not heard about Heys. Which one are you considering?

Comment

• I have an old Delsey hard suitcase and not that old Samsonite roller too:

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            Thinking about it this weekend, I'm coming down to the conclusion that I'll probably stick with the Samsonsite carry-on I bought last year:

http://www.ebags.co.uk/samsonite/xio...?modelid=72741

but will probably pick up some check-in luggage. My Delsey suitcase is starting to show signs of wear after 20+ years (with admittedly only heavier use in the last year or so).
                            Both have survived lots of flights including a RTW; being lost in YVR and FRA; etc. I only retired them for the same reason as my friend - polycarbonate whilst it may be ugly is just so light and strong.

Both seem respectable brands to me and I'd buy them again. I don't quite understand the hype about Tummies but I've never owned one...
                            Last edited by jhm; 9 October 2009, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Both seem respectable brands to me and I'd buy them again. I don't quite understand the hype about Tummies but I've never owned one...
                              I bought a Tumi rucksack because I was looking specifically for a rucksack which would hold two camera bodies, various lenses, laptop, and various travel bits. It's not meant to be used as a camera bag but it is a decent size and well padded. I wasn't looking specifically for a Tumi rucksack but that Tumi rucksack managed to satisfy all the requirements.

It is a lot hardier than the Lowepro rucksack (made specifically for cameras and laptops ) which I bought later. The Tumi is still looking newish despite being overloaded and used so frequently. The straps of the Lowepro started tearing just after one use!

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                                The straps of the Lowepro started tearing just after one use!
                                Considering what you insist on putting inside the bags, it's a miracle that you can even lift it up in the first place!

PS. All the branches of Global Luggage around London seem to be having a bit of a B&R sale. Seemed to be roughly 25% off, which makes the prices quite attractive.

Shame I can't do the full gear 20-mile jog in the army with a B&R rollaway. I bet it will be so much more comfortable

Comment

Working...
                                X