The SQTalk Luggage Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N_Architect, may I humbly ask the following:

1) Are you going through BKK anytime soon (landside)
    2) Do you have a specific collection in mind from Samsonite Black Label (hereafter referred to simply as SBL) that you're eyeing?
    3) Are you able to go landside in SIN anytime soon

And lastly, the intention is - if you can't go landside to pick an item up yourself, I can probably arrange to pass you whatever you've got your eye on for the best possible price. I'll just have to coordinate a flight or something with you, or find someone else who has the same flight.

Basically I've found BKK to be very cheap (50-60% off) at their Central Chitlom boutiques, and SIN's Raffles Arcade also has similar promos, not to mention the Takashimaya Orchard store.

I've not paid more than 60% of the RRP for any of my SBLs (and so far I've already bought five items from three collections).. except for the passport holder which only had 20% off. Which I don't regret as I quite like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
      Briggs' 22" Carry-On is going on sale later this month and I'm considering purchasing it.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category....aspx?id=U422X

I know most of the crew here use 20" roller bags for carry-on usage. Will I be OK with the 22" in most F cabins and the occasional C?

Advice please?

Note: I usually travel with the Swiss Army Duffel.
      The 22" would be a potential issue at LHR, because of the BAA goons' stochastic enforcement. The 22" definitely does not fit the size gauge. The 20" fits perfectly. But enforcement seems relatively lax these days.

You'll be fine in SIN, where the C or F BP will be your amulet. At HKG (not in transit), the size dragons might insist on you checking it. (I'm never concerned in HKG because my CX status will protect me.)
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• I only transited with my 22" in LHR, but didn't encounter any problems back in early January.

Lucky?

Yes, some charm was involved!

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          The 22" would be a potential issue at LHR, because of the BAA goons' stochastic enforcement. The 22" definitely does not fit the size gauge. The 20" fits perfectly. But enforcement seems relatively lax these days.

You'll be fine in SIN, where the C or F BP will be your amulet. At HKG (not in transit), the size dragons might insist on you checking it. (I'm never concerned in HKG because my CX status will protect me.)
          If travelling in J or F ex-HKG, you should get a tag on your carry-on allowing you to pass through with oversize luggage (the ladies will rip the tag off once you go through).

Just to mention also that the 22" is too large problem isn't exclusive to BAA. BAA simply follow the IATA recommended guidelines:

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/passeng.../check_bag.htm

Cabin baggage should have maximum length of 22 in (56 cm), width of 18 in (45 cm) and depth of 10 in (25 cm). These dimensions include wheels, handles, side pockets, etc.
          Personally, I'd go for (and did go for) a 20" - the extra 2" (which I know is valuable to some for the ability to hold a suit etc) for me just isn't worth the risk of being forced to check-in my bag.

Comment

• Kyo, many thanks for your quick response.

Now, on the subject:

- I do not need this item urgently, but it'd be nice to have if I check it out, like it and the price is good. I'd prefer to buy it in the States, but my next trip there is Nov '09, unless I decide to do a quick shopping spree to SFO from now till September (which is rather unlikely at the moment).

- I am interested in the 22" X'Lite Hardside or Hybrid Upright or the Pro-DLX Mobile Office. I have a 20" Samsonite carry-on which is very good indeed, and generally Samsonite offers very good value for what you pay. I saw a very good Tumi in Dubai this January, but cannot find it now on the web (however it was around 1,200 Euros...)

- No, I do not plan to be or go through BKK soon.

- No, I do not plan to make a SIN stopover soon, although this is something I should have already done long time ago.

- I know there is Tumi (naturally) but also Porsche Design stores in Changi, but the latter is pretty dear so perhaps the expense cannot be justified in my opinion. Buying an item that is good, reasonably priced and not so fancy at the moment should do the job for me.

- I can also go to Busan Duty Free shops here in the next weekend or so, they may have good prices, but I am short of time (my weekends are already fully booked with study, exams are coming up).

Reason I asked the prices is because I will not take my 20" carry on with me should I decide to buy a new one in SIN during transit.

I think I'll have a look in Changi and if the prices seem reasonable and assuming I'll like the item, I'll go for it. If not, next time if I come SIN or in the States.

I think list prices in Changi are 20 or 30% more than in the U.S., right? What's the saving (say %-wise) if I buy in Singapore mainland?
            Last edited by N_Architect; 2 April 2009, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• I forgot to mention:

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              Briggs' 22" Carry-On is going on sale later this month and I'm considering purchasing it.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category....aspx?id=U422X

I know most of the crew here use 20" roller bags for carry-on usage. Will I be OK with the 22" in most F cabins and the occasional C?

Advice please?

Note: I usually travel with the Swiss Army Duffel.
              Kids today who can't be bothered to search (earlier in this thread too)!

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=15
              http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=16
              http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=19 (from a Mr HUGE AL )

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
                Kids today who can't be bothered to search (earlier in this thread too)! ...

... (from a Mr HUGE AL )
                Ahahahahahaha

Comment

• Hahahaha I must, however, say in my defense that the 22" I referenced back then was two models back and not manufactured anymore. With the new design, it is MUCH MORE compact and tapered. Not to mention the price point is 43% LESS.

My luggage guy also told me about a pretty nifty way to tack it onto my 26" Expandable via the piggy back where the two bags would roll on all their wheels.

I think I get away with the duffel because it's completely compactable...but it DEFINITELY is larger than any 22" out there!

BUT, you are correct in breaking my b@lls over not looking through the thread.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                    - I do not need this item urgently, but it'd be nice to have if I check it out, like it and the price is good. I'd prefer to buy it in the States, but my next trip there is Nov '09, unless I decide to do a quick shopping spree to SFO from now till September (which is rather unlikely at the moment).
                    Whilst I'm not often on the US site (maybe once every 2-3 months, I do poke my head in sometimes and generally, like right now, there are sales on certain models, sometimes specific to a particular collection). Your mileage will vary. If you sign up to their US mailing list (which I do), occasionally, every quarter I think, there's an e-mail with an offer or two. I wouldn't rely on that, however. If you can mail order to a particular US address, you can get the sale price. In my opinion (and I did quite a few calculations around 3Q '08 last year), the USA prices on sale were not cheaper than 50-60% off in BKK or SIN.

- I am interested in the 22" X'Lite Hardside or Hybrid Upright or the Pro-DLX Mobile Office. I have a 20" Samsonite carry-on which is very good indeed, and generally Samsonite offers very good value for what you pay. I saw a very good Tumi in Dubai this January, but cannot find it now on the web (however it was around 1,200 Euros...)
                    I have not used a Pro-DLX before (I did have a bit of a play with one in the boutique once, though) but I preferred the other collections more. I can wholeheartedly recommend the X'Lites because they are, as their name suggests, Xtra Lite. When every gram counts, it's nice to know that Samsonite did their absolute best to really shave the kilos off their consumer models. The cross-weave, carbon-fibre inspired CURV material they use is tough (but make no mistake, it ain't carbon fibre, and it *can* be damaged if treated very roughly), and smudge-able. But you can wipe off the marks with a damp cloth very easily, I've found.

Oh - and the Hybrids are very rare now. It may be difficult to procure one.

I find that if you compare the 50-60% off BKK/SIN price with their regular Samsonite ranges, that are generally not on sale (on any model worth buying *different people, different tastes, yes I know*), the price differential comes out to maybe about 20 or 25 or 30% more only for an SBL!

Also, I've found the limited lifetime warranty to have better turnaround time than normal, however, and generally the after-sales service you get at the boutiques, far better (except when in Thailand, as they are just too... Thai, in which case I have sent claims through Singapore without any hassle). I think it's (almost) worth the extra money simply for the after-sales service alone.

The 'strategy', I find, to scoring an SBL deal is to buy in SE Asia. Over the counter, at a boutique. They do not explicitly print any posters or displays to say that there is even a sale going on (you wouldn't do this at the Raffles Hotel outlet, for sure...). Regarding Changi Airport prices, I will check again tomorrow evening at Changi for you as I'm flying off to BKK. I'll ask if they offer the boutique discounts over the counter there too.

- No, I do not plan to be or go through BKK soon.
                    No problem, because X'Lites cost more in BKK than in SIN when you convert currencies. No idea about the Pro-DLX line, though. If you were interested in the Alexander McQueen collection, however, BKK is the cheapest (almost 30-35% cheaper than in SIN, even when both are on sale). Since that is not your focus, you need not consider the BKK option. X'Lites in SIN perhaps offer the best value for money, anywhere. I'd love to hear if any other station converts to a cheaper rate though (certainly not their Ginza outlet, as I've also popped into the boutique there, not to mention the Yen was/is still sort of sky-high).

- No, I do not plan to make a SIN stopover soon, although this is something I should have already done long time ago.
                    If you settle on the X'Lite, I would schedule a quick stopover. 15 mins to Raffles Hotel on the ECP/Rochor Rd exit, and you can call ahead and ask them to set one aside for you. 5 mins for the pickup (the taxi can wait in the driveway). 15 mins back to Changi during non-peak hours. You can get back within 45 mins, safely.

- I know there is Tumi (naturally) but also Porsche Design stores in Changi, but the latter is pretty dear so perhaps the expense cannot be justified in my opinion. Buying an item that is good, reasonably priced and not so fancy at the moment should do the job for me.
                    I've commented about Tumi previously, and I won't go into it again but I'm *shock-horror* not a Tumi-fan. I do appreciate that there are many on this forum who are, however. Porsche Design I did check out in Siam Paragon before, but SBL wins me over because if it's practicality I'm after, the X'Lites are lighter. If you're off on a fun-funky trip, and don't mind flaunting your 'fashionista' side, I think the McQueens are far louder (listening, KeithMEL? )! Oh, the exterior of the 20" McQueen cover incidentally fits perfectly over the X'Lite, so you can have the best of both worlds if you really want to...

Just to reiterate, I've got nothing against Porsche Design. They are still good, but since it's my own dime, SBL just appeals more to me for the 'value'. And yes, I know... ultimately, these are still prices that are by no means 'cheap'. An interesting comparo - it still cost me almost $940SGD for my McQueen AI2 upright in BKK, and that's even with getting the VAT back (although Central Chitlom gave me a ton of free gifts for spending this much in their store due to an ongoing department store-wide promo at the time, that did have some commercial value).

- I can also go to Busan Duty Free shops here in the next weekend or so, they may have good prices, but I am short of time (my weekends are already fully booked with study, exams are coming up).
                    I've not had the opportunity to check in Busan, or even ICN when I was there as I was only in Korea for a business trip and had no time to sightsee (all the times I had 'free' were not when shops were open in Seoul). So, can't comment on that.

Reason I asked the prices is because I will not take my 20" carry on with me should I decide to buy a new one in SIN during transit.
                    Well, we can establish that rather quickly - I'll check the prices of your items tomorrow night in Changi. Then let me know your travel dates and around that time, I'll check at an SBL store landside. I happen to know the people in both boutiques here quite well. They are VERY helpful and VERY friendly, nice and most importantly, professional.

I think I'll have a look in Changi and if the prices seem reasonable and assuming I'll like the item, I'll go for it. If not, next time if I come SIN or in the States.
                    Unless the item you want is really that much cheaper due to sale prices in the USA, I'd not recommend you mail-order there.

I think list prices in Changi are 20 or 30% more than in the U.S., right? What's the saving (say %-wise) if I buy in Singapore mainland?
                    Will find out tmrw.

One last point - if you're after something bespoke, and you're willing to pay for customisation, the Raffles Hotel SBL boutique is one of the few 'SBL Couture' outlets. What this means is - you can customise the colour, the fabric, of quite a few items, on some specific collections to match exactly your taste. I know there was a display showing the 'Hero' McQueen in chrome, for example. The price was maybe 3-4x as much as the regular one. But if you want to feel like a rockstar (perhaps on Virgin Atlantic) that'll definitely turn a few heads.

Geez, that was one heck of a reply...

Comment

Hahahaha I must, however, say in my defense that the 22" I referenced back then was two models back and not manufactured anymore.
                      Uh huh... uh huh...

Yeah, 22" shouldn't be a problem onboard in F and J - but it may sometimes be an issue at the airport (LHR & HKG comes to mind but for the latter you can simply ask for a 'waive' tag from the airline). That's why I always try to stick with 20" bags.
                      That said, I have brought my 22" several times on SQ in Y, and never had a problem with it.

Originally posted by HUGE AL
                      Um, no. You know me better than that. I abhor the flashy -- hence, no Tumi.
                      Not to suggest this as an alternative, but I came across a very nice cabin rollaway by Valextra (from Italy), carbon handle and all. Downside is, it costs 7 x my Tumi LXT.

Comment

• Originally posted by StarG View Post
                        Not to suggest this as an alternative, but I came across a very nice cabin rollaway by Valextra (from Italy), carbon handle and all. Downside is, it costs 7 x my Tumi LXT.
                        Do you mean the Valextra Avietta ?

Comment

Hahahaha
                          BUT, you are correct in breaking my b@lls over not looking through the thread.
                          Good sport.

I still advise against 22" luggage.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                            I still advise against 22" luggage.
                            Yep, not worth the potential hassles IMHO.
                            20" is the way to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
                              Do you mean the Valextra Avietta ?
                              Not this one. The one I saw was upright.

Comment

• I got back from my recent trip to find that the built-in TSA lock on my Rimowa Salsa seems to be broken. Its a squeeze design (holding two zippers) and one side is broken so that it can always be opened regardless of the combination number set.

It's a nuisance but I can get a separate padlock to hold the two zippers together, e.g. £10 for 2 TSA padlocks with an indicator to show when they've been opened.

I was just wondering whether all such padlocks are the same or whether some brands are recommended over others ?

Comment

Working...
                                X