Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What goes through your head when you fly more than your 'fair' share?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What goes through your head when you fly more than your 'fair' share?

Maybe I am a bit jet lagged but there is always a little voice inside me. Everytime I fly, I feel so privileged especially as a premium pax. For the few hours or so (1.5-13hrs), I guess I am in my little own world doing something that I like - flying SQ. Besides the final destination, the journey itself, is part of my holidays.

Maybe I have this guilty pang inside me. When I was last at CMB, I see the locals swarming at the gate. For most of them, I think it may be their only flight in years or maybe years before they can see their loved ones. That to me is very sad. They have to make a living working elsewhere. The price that I pay for my tickets...well, it could mean a whole family income in some parts of the world.

OK, so I may 'not be able to boil the ocean' to solve world's problem....shucks.

Oh well, just thought I share this...any solution for me?

I certainly think the same way on occasion - even the price of my SQ Economy LHR-BKK return ticket costs around a third of the annual salary of some of my friends who work in government jobs in Thailand. We also have made friends with hotel workers in the south of Thailand who haven't seen their families for over ten years.

With regard to a solution - you alone couldn't really change this, but I suppose we can all do a *little* something to help (tipping well for good service, donating money to local charities etc.) - I suppose every little helps, but even if you were to completely give up your premium travel and donate every dollar, this is still only a very small drop in the ocean.

Sorry not to be more positive

Comment

You should be able to share the joy of those who are travelling to see loved ones or new places, and to sympathize with the sadness of those leaving loved ones or familiar places, without having to feel bad about your own more fortunate circumstances. IMHO, as long as you treat others with respect and recognize their dignity, I don't think you have anything to feel ashamed of.

The disgraceful thing is when a premium class pax considers his BP license to scoff at other people.

Having seen your behaviour with others, SQFAN, I don't think you're even close to that danger zone.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread, SQFAN, I felt very moved when you wrote about the people you saw in Sri Lanka. I hope you'll find the girl of your dreams (must she be an SQ Girl ?) cos you deserve to.

Question : what can each one of us do for world poverty ?
        J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Originally posted by upright man View Post
          I hope you'll find the girl of your dreams (must she be an SQ Girl ?) cos you deserve to.
          SQ Girl? Nope....

Comment

I think it is all about getting a balance you are happy with. You work hard for your money so you should feel free to spend it on what you want to. Most decent people will see the poverty other people live in and want to do something to help. So you need to get the right balance. If you just gave all your money to the ending of poverty you would just end up in poverty yourself.

I think it is also important to recognise that one of the best things you can do is visit and put money into the economy. The best way to reduce poverty in a a country is to boost the economy (singapore is one of the best examples of this).

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              IMHO, as long as you treat others with respect and recognize their dignity, I don't think you have anything to feel ashamed of.
              I totally agree with jjpb3 that it nothing to be ashamed about and its by sheer luck we were born in XXX and not sri lanka or some third world country.

I do believe that we should always give back to the community that is why a percentage of my salary is automatically credited to the community chest(charity in Singapore).

Maybe we can start a fund to donate our KF / *A miles and get SQ to convert it to cash to donate to charity?

Comment

I don't have anything to add to the excellent points made by jjpb3, lobster and others above other than to say contribute what you can afford to what's important to you. Even small amounts can make a huge difference.

As well as the methods mentioned above (e.g. responsible tourism), this can be in the course of your travels - for example, the following which I've come across:

UNICEF's Change for Good - envelopes on BA flights for spare change in any currency

Dreamflight - a BA staff supported charity (not for the relief of poverty but to send a plane of seriously ill children on a holiday)

UNICEF - as a small amount added to the bill on a SPG stay

I'm sure there are lots of other charities which are supported by other airlines/hotels/etc.

If you prefer more direct action, I've thought about in the past (but haven't got round to) sponsoring a child somewhere directly, e.g. projects like ToHope (which I know about because I've attended a London monthly Mandarin speaking meetup a few times before and they collect a voluntary donation of £1 from each participant; note that it's not a registered charity).

Comment

As someone who has worked in the international aid/development industry for many years I would like to bring to peoples attention by far the most efficient way to give is a fixed monthly donation to your preferred charity or charities.

By doing a monthly bank transfer there are very little processing costs for the charity. There is nothing sader than when little Johnny sees some terrible situation on the news and sends in his $2 pocket money to help out but the reality is that by the time you have taken into account the the costs of employing someone to open the letter, count the money and bank the money then all of the $2 will have been used up on admin.

Secondly having a fixed income really helps the organisation plan its work. This is vital for carrying out longer term development projects which will have a lasting difference on peoples lives but these projects can take several years to have a significant impact.

Finally try to limit any restrictions on how the charity uses the funds. Yes it can seem nice to say you want the money to help victims of the Tsunami or aids patients in Africa but every restriction you put on means more admin costs to the charity and therefore less going to the benefiaries. Therefore it is much better to pick a charity which generally does what you are interested in so you might pick Save the Children if you are particularly interested in Childrens wellbeing, or Merlin or Doctors without Borders if you are interested in Health. Alternatively you could look at some of the religious based ones live World Vision, Christian Aid or Muslm Aid. Or you might prefer a general one who covers all areas and is not religious based like Care or Oxfam.

Comment

Thanks for the listing, jhm and points made by Lobster. Yes, I do get involve in some of those listed. I can only contribute some of my income but kudos to those who get involved in the field, those providing direct support. Lobster, you put me to shame. Do keep up the good work.

Comment

Thanks for the insight, Lobster - now I know how to donate more effectively.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      UNICEF's Change for Good - envelopes on BA flights for spare change in any currency
                      Change for Good envelopes are actually found on all oneworld flights.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                      X