Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mobile data - a real travel game changer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile data - a real travel game changer!

I was recently in Japan after my last trip two years ago. Unlike last time, I had mobile data on my phone because I bought a local data SIM.

(I bought in Bic Camera (a chain of electronic shops in cities across Japan) a Japan Travel SIM - JPY 3,790 (about US$32); 2GB of data (no voice minutes and no SMS); valid for 3 months; another 2G of data for JPY 3,000.)

It was so liberating to be able to use Google Maps to get around, jump on and off public transport like a native (with Google telling me how much I need to pay too) and find locations. I could happily browse the net and research/plan my trip whilst sat on the Shinkansen. The speeds were very good (I got 4G most of the time on my iPhone). With 2GB of data, I could basically use the Internet without caring how much I'm using.

I've had similar experiences in the past few years in other places like Hong Kong (where I again bought a local SIM) and across Europe (where my phone provider, Vodafone UK offers the option of paying £3/day and then being treated that day as if I'm in the UK with unlimited calls and a massive data allowance).

I think back to before mobile data and it seems so backward now! Having to bring along paper guidebooks and maps; relying on directions from hotel concierges and asking people on the street; hunting down wifi hotspots; needing to take a taxi because walking is impossible without knowing the route; etc.

I've kept alive a series of prepaid SIMs collected all over the world that I thought were worth keeping, for those countries I visit more often and thrown away a whole bunch also.

Between the ones I've kept I've got a decent selection of countries covered. Dunno what I'd do without them!

Comment

And I carry two phones with me whenever I travel.

Yes, the Travel SIM from BIC is wonderful.... on my last trip to Japan, I used up all of the 2 GB..... was doing internet sharing and thus the heavy usage.... worth every Yen...
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Working...
      X