• Show
Clear All

• When a Gulfstream just wouldn't do...

Imagine the PPSV if he'd flown SQ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/sp...=baseball&_r=0

On Rented 787, Tanaka Makes Entrance That Is ‘So Yankees’
    By DAVID WALDSTEIN
    FEB. 10, 2014

A Japan Airlines Boeing 787 Dreamliner, capable of carrying nearly 200 people up to 7,850 nautical miles, touched down at Kennedy International Airport on Sunday afternoon with only six passengers, including an ace pitcher, his pop star wife, a personal manager and a toy poodle named Haru.

The unusual flight manifest was not a joke, but the grand entrance of Masahiro Tanaka, the Yankees’ flamboyant Japanese pitcher who put his newfound dollars to immediate use.

Eager to avoid a snowstorm and arrive in New York in time for his introductory news conference Tuesday, Tanaka rented the plane from JAL for an estimated $200,000. Not even Reggie Jackson made such a colorful entrance to New York when he signed as a free agent with the Yankees in November 1976.

It is unclear whether Haru had his own seat, but there were nearly 200 empty ones from which to choose.

“Totally over the top,” said Robert W. Mann, an aviation consultant. “So Yankees.”

Can a Gulfstream (say G650) do Japan-JFK nonstop anyway?

Comment

Further down in the article...

Mann, the aviation consultant, said Tanaka could probably have found a less conspicuous way to fly from Tokyo to New York. Flying 5,870 nautical miles is easily within the range of several smaller private jets, including the Gulfstream G-V, G550 and G650 and the Bombardier Global 6000, he said.

Those planes can fly the distance nonstop, depending on wind and payload, and in the event of unfavorable wind, a refueling stop in Anchorage is often part of the flight plan. It is believed the JAL charter took less than the usual 13 hours because of the lighter payload. Without the many additional passengers, their luggage and the fuel needed to carry them, the plane is believed to have made the trip to J.F.K. in less than 11 hours.

Comment

Ironic that he could have travelled far more comfortably in a BBJ... and presumably at a much lower cost.

Unless JAL subsidised the charter for marketing purposes.

Comment

When you can ...

Comment

Hmm..... I was already sitting there thinking '$200k doesn't sound SO bad.'

What's the bet the 787 needed to trip back to Boeing anyway for a check-up

Comment

This was hilarious when it hit the wire in the USA.
              HUGE AL

Comment

A private jet broker I know told me that a trip on the GV from LHR-HKG costed USD450k... which makes me wonder whether the JAL figure is way too low, or the GV figure is way too high!

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
                  A private jet broker I know told me that a trip on the GV from LHR-HKG costed USD450k... which makes me wonder whether the JAL figure is way too low, or the GV figure is way too high!
                  Hmmm...
                  GV Charter is about $9,000 per hour so assuming 12hrs about $110,000
                  Fuel probably about $50,000
                  I don't know crew cost, landing, ramp, parking, taxes......

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
                    The $200k is just the cost of the aircraft rental. You gotta factor in the fuel, pilots, a couple of pretty attendants, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X