Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easing of ban on liquids in UK

From the BBC:

The ban on liquids being taken through airport security in the UK is to be relaxed, the government has announced. New rules from Monday will allow passengers to carry drinks and toiletries through security checks.

They will be limited to 100ml per container and no more containers than would fit in a one litre plastic bag.

Security experts believe explosives disguised as a liquid would not be able to destroy an airliner if carried in such small quantities.

Limiting the amounts allowed also makes it easier for security staff to check what is being taken on board.

The same rules are being introduced across Europe and will take effect on Monday - almost three months after the clampdown on air security began.

The Department for Transport (DfT) said essential medicines and baby food are allowed in amounts larger than 100ml. Large musical instruments are also permitted, in addition to one item of cabin baggage.

A DfT statement said: "The security measures introduced at UK airports in August were in response to a very real and serious threat.

"We have always said that we would keep these measures under review and in September we introduced changes which increased the permitted size of cabin baggage that passengers could take on board.

"Following consultations with industry and international partners we can now introduce a change to the ban on taking liquids through the security checkpoint to add to passenger convenience while continuing to maintain rigorous security."

Hope you don't mind me making this a sticky since it's a more current issue than the threads I'm copying across, and I don't want to bury this thread.

On a side note - that is EXCELLENT news!

Comment

Though better than what was imposed after the incident, this easing doesn't make life easier for business travellers who need to carry a laptop as well as clothes just for the following day. It still means checking luggage in.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

To me, the announcement means nothing. I still have to check in my roll on-board luggage.

Comment

Here is what I received from BA:

The European Union, including the United Kingdom, has adopted new security rules that permit the carrying of liquids, gels and pastes in limited quantities through airport security in passenger hand baggage. The changes will be effective from November 6, 2006.

This new policy applies to all passengers on all carriers who are departing from or transferring through any EU gateway, as well as those departing from or transferring through Albania, Kosovo, Switzerland, Norway and Iceland. This means the same policies apply for any customers travelling from or through any of these countries.

These new rules bring the EU policies more closely in line with current policies for US- and Canada-departing flights, and ensure that customers transferring on British Airways flights in the UK will be able to carry liquids, gels and pastes in limited quantities on board to their final destination.

Liquids must be held in individual containers not exceeding 100ml (approximately 3.5 fl. oz.).

Liquids, gels and pastes that may be carried onboard include shampoo, creams, hair gel, hair spray, suntan lotion, toothpaste, liquid or aerosol deodorant, perfume, cosmetics such as mascara and lip gloss, water and other drinks, soups and syrups. Other items of similar consistencies may also be carried on board.

All liquid, gel, and paste containers must be carried in a clear plastic zip-top or re-sealable bag that does not exceed 20cm x 20cm (8 inches x 8 inches) or one-quart capacity. Each passenger will be permitted to carry one of these re-sealable bags. Items must fit in the bag comfortably and the bag must be completely closed.

At the airport security search, the plastic bag must be removed from the cabin bag and x-ray screened separately.

Comment

Well this is totally pointless for me. the only liquid I want to take through security is water and I don't even think that you can buy a 100ml bottle of water.

Comment

It took three months for DFT to finally 100% regain their sense of reality.
              My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

When I flew out of LHR on Saturday I couldn't help think that it was a big enough mess with the total ban on liquids. No with this only allowed 100ml rule I think it will take hours to get through security as every liquid has to be mesasured to make sure that there is not more than 100ml.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                  Well this is totally pointless for me. the only liquid I want to take through security is water and I don't even think that you can buy a 100ml bottle of water.
                  I've probably missed this somewhere :o but if one purchases a bottle of drinking water airside, is it permitted on the plane? It's difficult keeping up with each country and how they're handling it.

Comment

According to the BAA, you can buy as much as you want airside - liquids, anything - and it'll all be let on the plane! Wouldn't want to hear the shops' revenue would we...

Comment

Recently there still seemed to be some confusion among BA ground staff about what's allowed among liquids purchased after security. Someone on my morning flight was stopped because he had a venti-sized hot drink (tea?) in his hand. (The comment I overheard was, "I'm sorry, sir, that's now not allowed onboard for security reasons".) This was on the airbridge, after he was allowed through by the person manning the BP machine.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                        According to the BAA, you can buy as much as you want airside - liquids, anything - and it'll all be let on the plane! Wouldn't want to hear the shops' revenue would we...
                        A colleague who travelled recently said they paid £2 for a small bottle of water airside Which they were then not allowed to take on board as it is not sealed.

Comment

A colleague who travelled recently said they paid £2 for a small bottle of water airside Which they were then not allowed to take on board as it is not sealed.
                          Forget worrying about fuel surcharges.... now it's water! Anybody know an underground spring we can tap? I have a brand name: AquaSQTalk.

Comment

Yup, just to be safe I wouldn't open any bottles until I'm on-board. If the shop has it, I'd also ask for those specially sealed dutyfree bags which are to be used for alcohol.

Comment

Originally posted by shortfinals View Post
                              Anybody know an underground spring we can tap?
                              Eh! Cannot drink sky juice izzit ?

Comment

Working...
                              X