Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why airline loyalty programs aren't loyal to you

Heh.

And what about that Southeast Asian airline which had legions of loyal customers flying F & J just to be part of their FFP?

#notanymore

Why airline loyalty programs aren't loyal to you
    Christopher Elliott
    January 14, 2013

Laura Noell recently discovered a dirty little secret about her airline loyalty program: the "loyalty" only goes one way.

For years, she and her husband, both faithful United Airlines Mileage Plus members, flew United whenever they could. In return, the airline offered them a guaranteed upgrade to United's "Economy Plus" section, she says, which gave them about the same amount of legroom as they had in coach class before airline deregulation.

The Noells, who live in Bethesda, Md., and often fly to California, believed it was a fair trade: They stuck to United, whether or not another carrier like Virgin America offered a less expensive flight. They put all their purchases on an affinity card that helped them collect miles and maintain their good standing with Mileage Plus.

The Noells thought they were the perfect customers.

But they were wrong.

From one day to the next, United changed the offer that allowed them to upgrade to Economy Plus. Poof! No more comfortable seats.

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/a...t-loyal-to-you

Heh.

There are some of us here that are very happy with THAT airline's FFP because:

1) when one is on Y, the senior FA comes by and say "Hello Mr X, welcome back; let us know if there's anything we can do for you!" , and within hearing distance of the OTHER ordinary pax around you;

2) one gets first preference of ones meal, and sometimes get served a whole 3 minutes earlier that the OTHER ordinary pax (very helpful in Y - cos' one can get to the toilet before everyone else since they are still stuck with their meal trays in front of them;

3) one saves a lot of time from queuing at the check-in desk, and very importantly, standing on a one-inch-thick carpet while doing so.

4) saunter past the OTHER ordinary pax, when boarding the aircraft, so that one can be first onboard, even though the plane departs at the same time as everyone else.

Comment

(Heh)3

If that floats one's boat, there IS another Asian carrier that does all that (more) consistently too, and doesn't cost $25,000.00. You just have to like a lot of green...

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
        4) saunter past the OTHER ordinary pax, when boarding the aircraft, so that one can be first onboard, even though the plane departs at the same time as everyone else.
        But when in Y, disembark the same time as everyone else also

Comment

1) when one is on Y, the senior FA comes by and say "Hello Mr X, welcome back; let us know if there's anything we can do for you!" , and within hearing distance of the OTHER ordinary pax around you;
          Unfortunately inconsistent and seem to happen one in every two or three flights. I get it far more on BA as a Gold than on SQ as TPP.

2) one gets first preference of ones meal, and sometimes get served a whole 3 minutes earlier that the OTHER ordinary pax (very helpful in Y - cos' one can get to the toilet before everyone else since they are still stuck with their meal trays in front of them;
          Another inconsitency I find, same frequency as 1.

3) one saves a lot of time from queuing at the check-in desk, and very importantly, standing on a one-inch-thick carpet while doing so.
          If in J or F you get that anyway and most airlines allow those without checked luggage to go straight to the aircraft without having to defeat the object of checking in on line and having to go to check in to get your BP 'authorised'.

And then wait for them all to board before you move anyway.

Comment

It's a rather important benefit to me, in Y at least. Too often have I boarded only to find all the overhead lockers full

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              But when in Y, disembark the same time as everyone else also
              Yeeese! It would be so nice if they were to have priority disembarkation as well!! Keep those OTHER ordinary folks in their seats for another 5mins so that one can be first in line at the immigration queue. Yup!!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                It's a rather important benefit to me, in Y at least. Too often have I boarded only to find all the overhead lockers full
                I only find that an issue when I fly domestic flights in the US. Talk about, those road warriors there just love to drag their oversized carry-ons and try to stuff them on those small lockers on the 738s. Clever thing to do though as their luggage arrives in record slow time on the carousel.

Comment

I've found that to be a problem many a time on SIN-BKK... and vice versa

Comment

Yeeese! It would be so nice if they were to have priority disembarkation as well!! Keep those OTHER ordinary folks in their seats for another 5mins so that one can be first in line at the immigration queue. Yup!!
                    It can be solved surprisingly easily by reserving the front part of the cabin for elite FFP and full fares. Already adopted by the likes of AC and LH, I'm not sure why it's not adopted by more airlines...

Comment

Its much easier to get mileage to be credited from anywhere to our FF nowadays. But the burning rate its getting more difficult and costly too.

I remembered several years back to redeem CGK - TPE from E to J cost 22.500 Miles oneway, now it needs 37.500 and its "saver" and its always unavailable

Myself , I only need their Priority tag on my luggages , especially when arriving CGK.. With P Tag your luggages arrive 20 mins after you clear immigration, without P Tag 1 hour, and when your arrival timetable clashed with other especially from Middle East , prepare popcorns and coke.

Comment

Working...
                      X