1 pilot or no pilot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 pilot or no pilot

In yesterday's BBC's HardTalk, Stephen Sackur interviewed the ever controversial Ryan Air's boss, Michael O'Leary. Amongst many subjects discussed, Michael was reminded that he once suggested there should only be one pilot or even no pilots in the plane in future. Michael reiterated the point that with advancing drone and flight technology, that it will become possible in 10-20 years' time.

Personally I agree with him, but I would like to find out how fellow forumers feel about flying in a plane with one pilot or without one.

Here's my 2-cents:
    1) The US, most of all, have developed very sophisticated drones and cruise missile capable of long flight and delivering a payload very precisely on targets (whether it's the correct target, it's another matter! ). The US is already moving ahead with plans to implement pilot-less planes to replace the current generation of fighter bombers. Many of the drones now are remotely controlled but development of software to allow them "intelligence" to fly on their own, should communication signals be jammed, have already been developed.

2) Google and a few other individuals have already developed and tested driver-less cars. This will probably come into commercial production within the next 5-8 years. Some of us will probably live to enjoy this and will dampen the phobia of having a driverless vehicle (we have already stopped batting an eye on driver-less trains).

3) As the number of aircraft grow over the next decade, some skies, particularly in China, India, Europe and the US, with many close city-pairs, will see a massive bloom in air-traffic, to the point that having humans controlling traffic will be a near impossible task (see replacement of traffic cop at junctions, with traffic lights). The reliance of computers and sensors on the ground and in the air will be more and more relied upon to provide a higher level of efficiency and safety.

Wow, I guess having no cakes on board is far more interesting than having no pilots.

Comment

I, personally, would not fly on any plane with no one at the front end. No matter how advanced technology is, it's still vulnerable to exploitations and manipulations by humans who are hell-bent on breaking it. If a human designed it, another can break it ! I remember reading such a scenario in the novel Crashers.

Case in point are the successful hacking attempts of White House and Pentagon's network. Among other high profile hackings including banks. There have been multiple incidents in commercial aviation where the over-reliance of the autopilot has resulted in accidents and near-misses. This should be a clear indicator that commercial aviation would never be ready for automated flight in the near foreseeable future.

And comparing drones and UAVS with commercial aircrafts is like comparing apples with oranges. Drones and UAVS have a simple mission. Drop bombs at the intended target and fly back to base if possible. Manned bombers, along with reconnaissance jets, have the most unenviable job among air force pilots as they have to fly into heavily guarded airspace to drop bombs and fly back in their craft which are not known for their nimbleness and defensive qualities. The mission is a success as long as the bomb was dropped at its target. Flying back to base is like a bonus in those missions. USAF developed unmanned drones to eliminate the high human losses in these missions. A drone lost is way better than troops lost.

One has to ask the question why the USAF has not transferred its enormous experience and knowledge in unmanned piloting into developing unmanned transport jets carrying troops and supplies.

And about the Google's driver-less car. I don't know about that car but I'm pretty sure that car has a last resort option where if the system detects some faults, it would switch on the hazard light and slowly drive itself to the kerbside or just stop where it is as a safety measure. Driverless trains and modern cars and trucks prevent the vehicle from moving if it detects faults. What would a pilot-less plane do if it detects numerous faults in its system 37,000 feet up in the air in the middle of the Pacific Ocean ?

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
        Wow, I guess having no cakes on board is far more interesting than having no pilots.

The money they save on having no pilots can pay for birthday cakes.

I'd prefer a pilot to a cake on my birthday

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
          I'd prefer a pilot to a cake on my birthday
          I tell yr wife.... I'll also volunteer to bring the durian husk for you to kneel down on...

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            LOL. Maybe in the future the robot pilots and cabin crew can be programmed to remember "significant / premium / important" passengers details. Imagine that, in 20 years time, a cabin crew of robots singing happy birthday to an important biz or first class PPS passenger, I reckon it will sound like Cher.

Comment

Working...
            X