Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State Farm Auto. Ins. TV Advertisement: SQ vs. AA ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Farm Auto. Ins. TV Advertisement: SQ vs. AA ????

Seen on American cable television, Bravo network (I was flipping!):

An advertisement for State Farm Automobile Insurance Company. The voiceover goes along these lines: "Would you pay for this travel experience (video clip), when you can pay for this (another video clip) but get the same experience?" Well, it sent something like that. It took me so long to get logged on tonight that I forget how the lines went exactly, but you get the idea.

Here's the amazing part...

The first experience, the luxurious one, was obviously Singapore Airlines. And the miserable one that the customer paid for (while wanting the real luxury) was plainly American Airlines. No names are given and no logos used, but some things make it clear to the attentive viewer.

It's a young professional white woman. For the SQ clip: she's obviously in a premium cabin. It's not a SkySuite or a SpaceBed, but it's a 2-by premium cabin configuration, and she's near a window, with the star of the commercial in the aisle and the window seat empty. The video starts with a scene of white wine being poured into a glass. Then the camera pans wide and you can see that she's in a premium cabin, being served dinner. And the male Flight Attendant (Asian-looking, though I didn't get a very close look) looking after her leans in and makes sure she's enjoying it all. You get a nice close-up of his uniform: he's wearing the powder-blue jacket of Singapore Boy flight stewards, and the dead giveaway is the stripey tie that is a undeniably SQ's uniform for the Boys. I'd bet S$100 on it!

On the miserable this-is-what-I'm-willing-to-pay-for-experience-even-though-I-want-a-Singapore-Boy-pouring-my-Chardonnay clip, she's in economy class sandwiched between two large loud white guys yapping across her, spilling stuff, and you can easily see that it's the old American Airlines Y cabin, with the blue and grey upholstery and the pinstripes with alternating triple-bars motif seen here.

So the message was: Pay a little, get a lot with State Farm. But I totally couldn't get over that they so obviously had a Singapore Boy giving the fawning "First Class" treatment while the passenger was just miserable in the cheap seats on American Airlines.

Does SQ know about this? Did they license their male icon for the role? I didn't see a Golden Goose logo, but the baby blue jacket and stripey tie are unmistakable. At least to devotees....

I think I've heard that ad (and seen out of the corner of my eye)...but my brain shuts down as soon as I think "Insurance", so didn't notice it was SQ

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
      I think I've heard that ad (and seen out of the corner of my eye)...but my brain shuts down as soon as I think "Insurance", so didn't notice it was SQ
      Me too. I've probably seen it half a dozen times, and the AA upholstery has stood out in the past. But this time I really watched the first part, I guess, and it was the stripey tie on the Boy that made me realize what it was.

Comment

What a wrong impression. Comparing 2 airlines that are worlds apart, but the lousier one is preferred because it is inherently "American". My goodness!

Comment

Originally posted by sporadic View Post
          What a wrong impression. Comparing 2 airlines that are worlds apart, but the lousier one is preferred because it is inherently "American". My goodness!
          I think the message they're trying to send is pay for AA Economy and get treated like SQ First. That'll be the day.

Comment

If only that ever happens! Just that seasoned travellers will know even paying for AA F won't get you treated like SQ F.

Comment

Originally posted by sporadic View Post
              If only that ever happens! Just that seasoned travellers will know even paying for AA F won't get you treated like SQ F.
              Paying for AA F won't even get you treated like SQ C.

Comment

Maybe not even SQ Y! Shocking. Though the seats would be more comfy in AA F than SQ Y.

Comment

Working...
                X