Ang koo

Banoffee pie

Strawberry tart with vanilla pastry cream

Valrhona manjari chocolate truffle tart with caramel and macadamia nuts

Croissant pudding with bitter orange marmalade

Peach frangipane tart

bro.. u have amazing talent and passions. Admire you

Comment

how do you make ang koo kueh? I'm craving for it now in australia!
      I know when you airline bling, that could only mean one thing

Comment

For a non-pro, Leo, you're very good if the food taste half as good as it looks! Extraordinary talent if I may say so. Please include recipes with the pics!

I've spent my last 2 years trying to perfect three dishes - half-bowled eggs, drunken chicken and a perfectly grilled steak. And I've only managed to do the first using a home-made half-concocted sous-vide pot! I like to cook simple dishes with the least among of prep and let the ingredients speak for itself. However, sooner or later, I'll have to bite the bullet and admit that I've to work harder on my day job.

Comment

Thanks guys..

LOWJHG: Get hold of this book, its a good guideline to nonya cooking although I have adjusted many of the ingredients to how I remember it to taste like..
          Nonya Flavours: A complete guide to Penang Straits Chinese cuisine
          ISBN: 9789839512175

CarbonMan: half boiled eggs you mean? 6.5 minutes (not one second more/less), refrigerated eggs into boiling water, dropped in very very gently after a small hole has been pricked into the rounded end of the egg. Sous-vide is a little overkill no?

Comment

Originally posted by leo View Post
            CarbonMan: half boiled eggs you mean? 6.5 minutes (not one second more/less), refrigerated eggs into boiling water, dropped in very very gently after a small hole has been pricked into the rounded end of the egg. Sous-vide is a little overkill no?
            What was I writing!? Must be the damn jetlag! Yes, half-boiled eggs. The "sous-vide" method is 62degC for 45mins.

Of course I don't have an expensive SV, so I use an electronic thermometer, large-pot that can hold lots of water, and can keep water at a constant temp longer. Gas stove to bring the water up to 65-66deg, throw in 10 eggs (get the freshest eggs possible i.e. chilled variety; there's a definite taste difference). Temp will drop immediately, keep a very low fire going. I switch off once it hits 63-64deg and let it simmer; once temperature drops to 61, bring the fire back on. 45mins. The egg-white is just the right consistency, cooked all over, but neither overly firm or still uncooked. A dash of good white pepper and light soya sauce (some like the thick black sauce), and it's a great start to the day!

If you can't finish the eggs, just put them in chiller compartmentin the fridge; they can keep for a day or so. Just slowly warm them up when you want to eat them.

Try and it let me know what you think compared to the 6.5 minute method.

Comment

Oh, I just want to make it clear that it's not my recipe. It's from Foodcanon.com, one of the best food blogs I've stumbled upon.

Comment

CarbonMan: Very tedious for half boiled eggs. I learnt the 6.5mins trick from a Japanese Ramen chef who makes hanjuku tamago (ramen eggs) for his ramen shop daily. You should try it!

If you take a look at the first pic (ramen) in my other thread, those are the eggs I'm talking about. When it is hot, it is soft.

Otherwise, get this gadget.. Foolproof!

Comment

Originally posted by leo View Post
                  CarbonMan: Very tedious for half boiled eggs. I learnt the 6.5mins trick from a Japanese Ramen chef who makes hanjuku tamago (ramen eggs) for his ramen shop daily. You should try it!

If you take a look at the first pic (ramen) in my other thread, those are the eggs I'm talking about. When it is hot, it is soft.

Otherwise, get this gadget.. Foolproof!
                  Ah! Yes, the ramen half-boiled egg is slightly hardened egg-white and soft yolk (Some European countries like Italy like that kind of half-boiled). My half-boiled is kopi-tiam kind.

Yes, I had that device long time ago ... but I think I threw it away, but you're right, very consistent results. So your 6.5min method is using that device or something else? Key for that is the ratio of water over number of eggs. For that device, it is clearly marked out.

I am at that early stage of learning that I need to be precise in what I do, so that I can replicate it again.

Greatly appreciate if you can share some trade secrets!

Comment

The 6.5min method is in a pot over a flame. 4 eggs to 2 litres of water.

I would highly recommend you to get the device...

Comment

Working...
                    X