Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK passport renewal

post deleted
    Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:23 AM.

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
    3. Cost
    If you want to renew by this service on the one week basis it costs £112.50, whereas the 1 day service costs £129.50 - not a great deal more.
    Here is where I think the con really is - If you want to the regular service it costs you £77.50, then you have to pay £8.17 for the Check and Send service (and this is not guaranteed to be done correctly). On top of that you need to then pay for registered delivery of your passport so you could end up paying £90-95 which admittedly is cheaper than the other options, but given that they say the three week delivery service by post is not guaranteed, I'm not so sure it is the best option.

Just on the cost issue, for us in Singapore we now need to courier our application to HK which let's say is GBP10 (plus additional GBP20 for delivery back from the UK/HK to SG). Supporting documents for the application are mailed back to SG from HK while the passport itself is DHL'd from the UK to SG.

The standard 32-Page passport is GBP128 while the 48-page is GBP155.

The HK consulate general targets a 4-wk delivery from time of the receipt of payment, which for me would be GBP175 plus the initial courier charge to HK. For arguments sake let's say then the total is GBP185 plus a 4wk wait.

The cost (less the initial courier charge from SG to HK) when applying in HK itself is the same since the passport now comes from the UK instead of being made in KL and HK like before. The HK consulate also says they application needs to be posted to them and not presented by hand, but I will check on this one later.

Comment

I used the 1 day service several years ago and found it the same efficient process as the OP. I don't think I would bother unless I needed a passport very quickly as it is a bit of a pain going to London.

The last few passport renewals for me have all been overseas and it definitely is a much more costly and time consuming process.

Comment

I always do mine in Liverpool Passport Office, but always go in as having two Passports means they want to see both of them anyway and generally like a chat. Last time they queried whether I still really needed two, then when I handed them over and asked them to have look at them they said 'Fair enough, we see what you mean'.

Both need renewing again in the next few months. I wish they'd bring a 100 page Passport out, would make life much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          I wish they'd bring a 100 page Passport out, would make life much easier.
          Presumably, by the time we're talking about 100 pages, we're borderline books territory rather than passports

In fact, a short novel-sized passport might just be the best solution for you

Comment

Malaysia has a few passport options:

1. RM100 for a 2 year validity 32 page passport for the infrequent traveller
            2. RM300 for a 5 year validity 32 page passport
            3. RM600 for a 5 year validity 64 page passport

The ironic thing is option 1 caters to the frequent traveller more than anything. I'm averaging about 1 year 7 months for 32 pages worth of stamps (and you don't get one coming or going from malaysia using autogate).... so no brainer for me

Comment

I paid less than GBP30 for my 10-year Korean passport. Go to the district office with photo, fill in a short form, and out comes the passport from the collection desk in 2-3 days. Simples!

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                Malaysia has a few passport options:

1. RM100 for a 2 year validity 32 page passport for the infrequent traveller
                2. RM300 for a 5 year validity 32 page passport
                3. RM600 for a 5 year validity 64 page passport

The ironic thing is option 1 caters to the frequent traveller more than anything. I'm averaging about 1 year 7 months for 32 pages worth of stamps (and you don't get one coming or going from malaysia using autogate).... so no brainer for me
                Just renewed mine. No more 32/64 pages. Now they only have the 48 page biometric ones

Comment

Well I don't mean to brag, but Malaysia beats the UK in passport renewals

Most immigration offices offer the "1Hour 1Passport" service. No need to make appointments. You can either use the Renewal Kiosk or go through the counter.

Just bring along the required documents, pay MYR300/100 for 5/2 years, and in 1 hour* - voila! 2 hours if you're unlucky*

*Off peak days only (eg non school holidays)

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                    Just bring along the required documents, pay MYR300/100 for 5/2 years, and in 1 hour* - voila! 2 hours if you're unlucky*

But I am surprised it is as expensive as that, RM600 for a 32-page, 10-yr equivalent passport that currently is GBP121 and not far off kicking the backside off that 'same-day' UK one.

Full biometrics..... in an hour? If so, though, pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                      I don't think I would bother unless I needed a passport very quickly as it is a bit of a pain going to London.
                      +1.

I like to do everything through the internet and post.

Comment

Well I just did my renewal by post. 6 working days for a 48 pager after using check and send. Passport was not delivered back by the postman, but a separate seemingly non Royal Mail delivery van in an unmarked envelope.

Thanks to the neutral expression rules I have probably the most miserable photo ever taken in there.

Agree the experience in Malaysia seems a lot slicker - Mdm Botak's renewal took 45 minutes, in an office a mile from 'home'.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_botak View Post

Agree the experience in Malaysia seems a lot slicker - Mdm Botak's renewal took 45 minutes, in an office a mile from 'home'.
                          Beat me by 7 minutes. In and out all done in 52 minutes the other day.

Comment

Working...
                          X