• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
    GT-R.... nuff said
    Originally posted by milehighj View Post
    LF-A...
    I did say...

..just have a Japanese car as back up when they break down.

Seriously, if I won a first prize in a game show, and was given the choice between a Porsche 997 and a GT-R or LF-A, I would choose the 997.

Branding matters to me..

though you might argue that I'd be driving a VW 997....

Comment

• Definitely the 997 over the GT-R... And yes, branding for me as well is [most of times] very important...
      Last edited by N_Architect; 31 October 2009, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• Totally agree 997 over GT-R. Of course ideally 997 GT3.

Comment

• That's exactly my point.

The GT-R outpoints the 997 on every criteria I can think of...price, performance, space.

But we still prefer 997.

Not logical right? It's branding.

You can use the same argument for SQ vs other better value airlines out there.

Anyway my dream car at the moment, being more realistic, is a VW Golf GTi.

Comment

• Guys,

Has anyone of us (test) driven either of these cars? [just curious to know]

I personally haven't. But believe I will one day, at least for a 911 S2, S4 or even Targa. Turbo and especially the GT3 are too much for me, in my opinion.

Currently dream car is a Range Rover 2010 TDV8 (which I also have not driven, naturally...)

On the subject of branding, I believe many of us prefer the 997 not just because it is a Porsche (i.e. because of branding), but it is a legend.

What's legendary about the GT-R? (apart from the fact that it is a great car that perhaps can equal or even surpass the 911 in some aspects)

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
              That's exactly my point.

The GT-R outpoints the 997 on every criteria I can think of...price, performance, space.

But we still prefer 997.

Not logical right? It's branding.

You can use the same argument for SQ vs other better value airlines out there.

Anyway my dream car at the moment, being more realistic, is a VW Golf GTi.
              Sorry, strongly disagree... Yes Porsche is a better brand, no question.

But on the track (which is where these machines truly belong) it's all about WEIGHT/MASS. The GT-R is heavy for a sports/track car @ 1730kg. A 997 GT3 RS weighs only 1375kg - that's 355kg less!!

That's why the GT-R needs all that electronics and 4WD, etc. etc., whereas the 997 is pure. The result is that on the track, a GT-R has all the feel of driving a Playstation, whereas the 997 GT3 has so much more tactile sensation.

Hence, a good track-trained driver (I'm not one, but have many friends who are) can have so much more fun in a GT3 balancing it on the limit.

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                Sorry, strongly disagree... Yes Porsche is a better brand, no question.

But on the track (which is where these machines truly belong) it's all about WEIGHT/MASS. The GT-R is heavy for a sports/track car @ 1730kg. A 997 GT3 RS weighs only 1375kg - that's 355kg less!!

That's why the GT-R needs all that electronics and 4WD, etc. etc., whereas the 997 is pure. The result is that on the track, a GT-R has all the feel of driving a Playstation, whereas the 997 GT3 has so much more tactile sensation.

Hence, a good track-trained driver (I'm not one, but have many friends who are) can have so much more fun in a GT3 balancing it on the limit.
                Interesting you should bring this up.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...ring-lap-times

So I dunno which is faster on the track.

But I agree the Porsche would be more fun to drive for the reasons you mentioned.

Comment

• Nothing Wrong with the GTR or the Nissan Brand.

The Only Thing Wrong with Nissan was when they were using those Kim Cattrall Commercials to get the Tiidas out of the showrooms but that goes back a while now.

Other than that I would rather have a reliable Nissan than some German that costs an arm and leg to fix.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQADL333 View Post
                    Nothing Wrong with the GTR or the Nissan Brand.
                    Totally agree.

However, we were talking about cars on my "Lust List"

and no current Japanese cars make it to my list.

Having said that, original Mazda MX5 and Toyota MR2 were great cars.

Comment

• well, I'd say my lust list would include the Mazda RX-8. Simply because it features interesting technology and cool doors
                      Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

• This was once on my Japanese car lust list

Its now on my owned list
                        Handles like a dream, you can overtake 99.9% of all cars in corners. My only gripe: A new set of tires after every 10,000km.
                        But when you shift up @ 8,400rpm with a straight-thru exhaust, heavenly.....

Comment

• Well, I am not as ambitious as many here and go primarily for looks and comfort. I am aiming for a convertible next - either the new Lexus IS250C (with Mark Levinson sound systems ) or the BMW 320d if the convertible version ever makes it down here. Hopefully the ride quality in the Bimmer 3 convertible is better than the sedan, as I find the ride on the sedans a little too firm (but in 1 series form it's not too bad). I probably won't get another car for a good 2-3 years but nothing wrong with some forward planning.
                          Last edited by KeithMEL; 6 November 2009, 10:24 AM.
                          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                            Well, I am not as ambitious as many here and go primarily for looks and comfort.
                            Can't be too ambitious when we can't handle the sticks.

Safety features for me since I seem to be rather accident prone.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              This was once on my Japanese car lust list

Its now on my owned list
                              Handles like a dream, you can overtake 99.9% of all cars in corners. My only gripe: A new set of tires after every 10,000km.
                              But when you shift up @ 8,400rpm with a straight-thru exhaust, heavenly.....
                              0-60 under 6 seconds!

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                                Can't be too ambitious when we can't handle the sticks.

Safety features for me since I seem to be rather accident prone.
                                speed IS a safety feature
                                Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Working...
                                X