Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peranakan Food - Kuih Talam (literally - tray pastry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peranakan Food - Kuih Talam (literally - tray pastry)

Been getting inspiration to reconnect with the Peranakan family heritage (Penang Peranakan to be exact), this is the first of the many traditional food items that we are famous for.

Kuih talam is essentially a dessert made from green pea, tapioca and rice flours. There are two distinct layers visible; the sweet green layer (which should be approximately 3/5 thickness of the entire thing) which is flavoured and scented by the juice from the pulverised leaves of the screwpine plant. The screwpine plant is an essential ingredient in Peranakan cuisine and can be found once upon a time, in the gardens of any respectable Peranakan family abode. The texture of this layer should be slightly firm, yet yielding to the bite.

The white layer is is slightly different in terms of taste and texture. It is made from a combination of thick coconut milk, salt and a mixture of the above flours.

This dessert is made in large round trays, hence its name. It is present in all major celebrations (birth, marriage, birthdays, anniversaries).

The combination of salty and sweet, rich and refreshing makes this, like all other Peranakan dishes, a challenge for the maker to achieve the balance of flavours and textures; a highly sought-after skill in Peranakan cuisine.

Oh yeah, I made this..
    Last edited by leo; 19 May 2011, 03:38 PM.

OMG I loooooove Peranakan kuih!

From Phuket to Penang to Pekalongan, the dainty brightly-colored sweet treats are my favorites and kuih talam is certainly one of them.

Some of the variations I have seen include using chempedak, sweet potato, and gula melaka mixed in with the coconut milk yummmmmm!
    Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

If there were a like button, i would super like your post. Bring in more please

Comment

My favourite kuih! Although the flattened air bubbles in the pic above are not usually found in the store-bought variety. What causes them and how does one get rid of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
          My favourite kuih! Although the flattened air bubbles in the pic above are not usually found in the store-bought variety. What causes them and how does one get rid of them?
          Hehe thought you wouldn't notice... It stems from impatience and the use of the modern whisk instead of the traditional wooden spoon

I also used unbleached green pea flour, hence the specs of skin visible in the white layer Results are the same if either are used.

Comment

leo, now I really have to get my rear down to KL for a visit (and yes, taste test!!)... I'll bring the (duty-free) single malt!!
            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

post deleted
              Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X