• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air France A380 collided with a CRJ during taxiing in JFK

Couldn't see this posted elsewhere so..

http://media.theage.com.au/whoops-a3...y-2302069.html

Taxiing even.

Comment

There is a video on youtube of the accident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2StZVDUck9M

I wonder if the pilots had to hop out and exchange insurance information on the ramp?

This is why I keep my seatbelt fastened until the chime sounds at the gate. The people in the Delta CRJ must have had one wild ride.

What is even more incredible is that ATC had to tell the French pilot twice to shut down his engines. The Captain asked the tower "All of them?"

This may have been a ground control error. The A380 operates at most US airports under a wavier because that class of aircraft is so large. The wavier from the FAA usually means special handling by ATC to maintain spacing between planes.
      Last edited by Moviela; 13 April 2011, 04:37 PM.

Comment

post deleted
        Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
          From those of you who know, what do you suppose was the reason this occurred (other than obviously being too close to each other!)?

Have you seen the way the French drive in Paris?

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
            Have you seen the way the French drive in Paris?
            post deleted
            Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:37 AM.

Comment

AF A380 collision in JFK

<<Deleted>> Double post
              Last edited by dj_jay_smith; 13 April 2011, 09:12 PM. Reason: Deleted Double post

Comment

This one has a better details on the accident.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uogmK...eature=related

Comment

Big bully A380

Comment

Aftermath of the incident ...

Comment

Might have to temperarily re-register it F-UCKD

Comment

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
                        From those of you who know, what do you suppose was the reason this occurred (other than obviously being too close to each other!)?
                        Based on listening to the available ATC audio recording with the transcript as well as studying the airport diagram, it appears the AF A380's left wing clipped the vertical stabilizer of the CRJ, obviously. The CRJ had just arrived at JFK and vacated Runway 13R at Taxiway M. After crossing Taxiway A, the CRJ possibly stopped to give way to a crossing ground vehicle. This left the tail of the CRJ sticking out just a little bit into Taxiway A. The AF A380 was instructed by ATC to turn left onto Taxiway A and hold short of Taxiway E, on it's way for departure at Runway 22R. Shortly after, ATC instructed AF A380 to give way to opposite traffic at Taxiway KD. Then, the incident occurred.

Based on the available ATC recording, AF A380 was not notified by ATC of the CRJ at Taxiway M. The pilots would have to visually spot the CRJ on their left and make a judgement as to their wingtip clearance. Keep in mind that all of this occurred during the overnight hours, so it could have been slightly difficult to judge distances.

I'll try to illustrate their paths on an airport diagram and post it here. Meanwhile, it's best not to speculate or apportion blame because it will only lead to unnecessary rumors. Let the investigative agencies do their job and report it to us
                        Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

I saw HPJD under tow yesterday in CDG. Didn't look like she had any damage

Comment

Originally posted by sealalula View Post

Aftermath of the incident ...
                            Splash of paint and she'll be fine.

Comment

Sorry for the tad delay in posting this information and for the sloppy lines drawn on the airport diagram. I had to "hand-draw" the lines using my MacBook Pro's trackpad

Diagram Legend
                              Red Line: CRJ's path
                              Blue Line: A380's path
                              Cyan Line: A380's intended path
                              Yellow Marks: Holding points for A380 given by ATC
                              Orange "X": Location of incident

Please note! This is not an official illustration of what happened. This is simply what I drew based on listening to the ATC audio recording and reading the transcript.
                              Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

Working...
                              X