Demand for flights between SE Asia and Brazil/S. America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demand for flights between SE Asia and Brazil/S. America

I didn't realise MH have dropped EZE.....

We had a couple of nice chats with the person who wrote that piece as she was also on the flight. More to come on that.....

Singapore Airlines (SIA) is confident of the market potential of its newly launched Singapore-Sao Paulo flights.

SQ68 departed from the Lion City on Monday, March 28, 2011, kicking off the thrice-weekly service via Barcelona. Goh Choon Phong, SIA chief executive officer, told Business Traveller: “We’re the only airline from Southeast Asia flying direct to South America, and this is something we’ve worked very hard with our Star Alliance partner Spanair to achieve.”

The Spanish carrier’s JK code is also found on these ultra long-haul flights.

Goh reported that besides travellers from Singapore, those from Indonesia and China as well would be attracted to visit the destination. “There is even a good number of people in Shenzhen who like to travel. Our subsidiary Silkair can bring them to Singapore from where they can catch the Sao Paulo flight.”

There is also promising customer base between Barcelona and Sao Paulo, Brazil’s acknowledged commercial hub, according to SIA’s top executive. SIA is the first airline to fly to Sao Paulo from the Catalan city’s new Terminal 1 of El Prat Airport.

Goh observed that SIA's entry into South America, particularly Sao Paulo, was timely as it was Brazil's largest city which regularly hosted some 90,000 events a year, including the Formula 1 event later this year, and was the winner of the bids for the 2014 FIFA World Cup and 2016 Summer Olympics. "And trade ties between Asia and South America are building up," he said.

An earlier report on the new route (see news), carried by businesstraveller.asia, said the Singapore-Sao Paulo link would likely be the first of many more South American routes by the airline because of an Open Skies Agreement (OSA) signed between the city-state and Brazil last year. Qatar also flies to Sao Paulo as well as Argentina (see news), while Air Nippon Airways is codesharing with TAM between Tokyo and Sao Paulo via London.

The Boeing B777-300ER, utilised on the route, features SIA’s new-generation first class, business class and economy class seats and products, including the KrisWorld IFE which boasts more than 1,000 on-demand options.

For more details, visit www.singaporeair.com

Margie T Logarta

Nope, MH still serves EZE twice weekly. Mr Goh must have forgotten or overlooked MH.

Comment

Well, MH is never seen as a real competition by SQ.
      My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Maybe his definition of "direct" means 1 stop, whereas MH goes via CPT via JNB

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
          Maybe his definition of "direct" means 1 stop, whereas MH goes via CPT via JNB
          I doubt that to be honest. Neither go nonstop, but both go direct, one stopping once and one stopping twice. MH's flight is actually shorter in distance despite stopping twice.

Comment

Since 1 October 2010 MH serves:

KUL-JNB vv 3 weekly B772
            KUL-CPT-EZE vv 2 weekly B744

JNB has been detagged from the earlier routing of KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE vv. http://airlineroute.net/2010/06/21/mh-jnbcpteze-oct10/

Comment

Originally posted by SliverKris View Post
              Since 1 October 2010 MH serves:

KUL-JNB vv 3 weekly B772
              KUL-CPT-EZE vv 2 weekly B744

JNB has been detagged from the earlier routing of KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE vv. http://airlineroute.net/2010/06/21/mh-jnbcpteze-oct10/
              Incidentally, MH wants to increase its EZE flights to daily but is restricted by the South African govt to do so. It is enjoying almost full loads on its flights between CPT and EZE!

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                Incidentally, MH wants to increase its EZE flights to daily but is restricted by the South African govt to do so. It is enjoying almost full loads on its flights between CPT and EZE!
                I think MH wanted to increase it to 3 weekly, but even an extra 1 weekly service is denied by the South African government.

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                Hmm, must be the South American market is picking up fast. The flight used to run near empty.
                That was what most people thought too (you know, this flight is notorious of being associated with the former premier Tun Dr. Mahathir and his horse ranch in Argentina, sole flag carrying mission for prestige reason so that MH stays in the 6 Continents Club etcetera) until data about its loads (passengers and cargo) were revealed.

I will not be surprised at all if this route is getting the A380 eventually, given its slot restriction and ETOPS ruling flying over the South Atlantic.
                Last edited by jjpb3; 7 April 2011, 05:13 PM. Reason: Comment referring to original TR removed to avoid confusion

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                  Seriously doubt they can survive daily. Maybe 4 or 5x.
                  Last edited by jjpb3; 7 April 2011, 05:14 PM. Reason: Comment referring to original TR removed to avoid confusion

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    Apparently Hyundai's cost as much as audi/BMW/mercedes in Brazil, and are viewed in a similar light. I know that's certainly not the case here in Australia!

You are absolutely wrong about the prices of hyundai in Brazil
                    Brazil is a very rich country and San Poulo is one of South America most exotic and expensive city even compare to us living in North America.
                    If the price of Hyundai there are as much as Audi/BMW/BENZ, then there will be no one driving or owning a Hyundai in Brazil
                    AC-SE (2007-Now), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond

Comment

Originally posted by mraquinas View Post
                      You are absolutely wrong about the prices of hyundai in Brazil
                      Brazil is a very rich country and San Poulo is one of South America most exotic and expensive city even compare to us living in North America.
                      If the price of Hyundai there are as much as Audi/BMW/BENZ, then there will be no one driving or owning a Hyundai in Brazil
                      Strange! This was coming from someone who lives in Brazil in Florianopolis. Perhaps this was more in comparison with other Asian makes.

Comment

And with news that EK is launching daily flights to Bueno Aries and Rio De Janeiro, on top of their already daily flights and QR's flights to Sao Paulo, competition is heating up on the South American market!
                        My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Brazilian's are *rich* in real terms of the R$ versus the $ versus China mostly due to ethnic and political factors (China has a *huge* population and controls its currency, Brasil mostly due to European e/immigration and history, 60% of Brasil's population is ethnically European, this is similar to Argentina which is *even higher* and the rest ethnically native South America (which their economic status is GROWING!) and Africans due to history). Kind of like here in the States. Brazil these days once the crime problem goes away in theory should be similar to Eastern Europe and Oceania (mainly NZ, Aus is richer than NZ on a per $ basis).

So much so that the recent Obama South America visit has enabled people talking about and (rumors from US officials) that Brasil and Chile MAYBE ADDED TO THE US WAIVER PROGRAM!!!@!@. Supposedly the VISA REJECTION rate for Brasilian citizens to get a USA visa is <5% (required to be included in the program with other factors...).

This will make lots of Brazilian's happy, considering that the rich go on monthly shopping trips to Miami and NYC I hear...

There are *ALOT* of Brazilians in the USA and AA now flies nearly 3x DAILY GRU-MIA and 1x DAILY GRU-JFK and GRU-DFW. They have a similar schedule to GIG (Rio de Janeiro!).

I was in Orlando (remember I'm currently ONLY a *POOR* Chinese-American student!) in January and I could not believe (and people warned me so...) the amount of Brazilian Portuguese accents I could hear in the crowd (this was in Orlando, Florida, USA)!

I hear they export A_LOT of BEEF to North America and Europe! Similar with Argentina, the South America climate supposedly is *perfect* for cattle to grow...

Mhmm...

And with the recent globalisation in South America and the *BOOM* there (economic, building, etc...) and the 2014 world cup is will get even more hotter as the world parties and samba in Brazil!

BTW, Brazil has their OWN SPACE program and is ONE OF ONLY THREE COUNTRIES to make commercial aircraft on a global scale.

Embrarer (like Airbus (EU) and Boeing (USA) and Canadair (Canada)) makes commercial aircraft that is EXPORTED around the world from Brasil to major markets in the world (and increasingly Asia!).

Comment

Originally posted by willzzz88 View Post
                            I was in Orlando (remember I'm currently ONLY a *POOR* Chinese-American student!) in January and I could not believe (and people warned me so...) the amount of Brazilian Portuguese accents I could hear in the crowd (this was in Orlando, Florida, USA)!
                            Dec/Jan is summer vacation time in Brasil. Many families bring their children to WDW.

Comment

Working...
                            X