Graffiti on MRT train makes headlines on ST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trekkie View Post
    Uncle SAM = singapore administration/govt.
    According to Websters, Uncle Sam = "a personification of the government or people of the U.S."
    HUGE AL

Comment

deleted
      Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:31 PM.

Comment

They are from a local's point of view but it varies if you are a PR or an expat who holds a senior management position in the many asia pac offices.

Case in point, about one or 2 years ago, there was a case of an expat attached to Tiger Airways, subsidiary of singapore airlines. He got in a scuffle which was described as a "strangulation of the cab driver".Ie, he strangled the cab driver in broad daylight. All he got was a conditional discharge and it was never mentioned again. Not sure if he is still employed on SQ's payroll but probably yes.

Case 2
        On jan 23 2009, a case was published of an aussie hurling his wife out of the window at a condominium at lorong chuan. If it was a singaporean, prosecutors would be damned to go all the way with murder but it was reduced to attempted culpable homicide.

Many similar cases of foreigners doing coke, injuring locals are never mentioned but people do talk. I myself was once almost strangled to death by a now CFO of a major software company.

Reason that i bring this up is that IT DOES matter if it was a foreigner or local who commits the crime and what the outcome is. From press reports, economics does play a factor if the person holds a high management position.

It's still considered uncommon for a local to reach similar management and remuneration status as the expats.

This graffiti incident is not the first time it has happened. Many years back, it happened and people involved were prankster of foreign origin. But i don't think more security measures is the answer as it only increases train fares with little benefit. Unfortunately, it is common for singapore workers to simply do the chores without questioning as its what they were educated and brought up to do.

FOLLOW THE LAW and PROCEDURES and NEVER question UNCLE SAM.
        Obviously you are not Singaporean. Some of the things you say are quite ridiculous.

Comment

They are from a local's point of view but it varies if you are a PR or an expat who holds a senior management position in the many asia pac offices.

Case in point, about one or 2 years ago, there was a case of an expat attached to Tiger Airways, ...

Case 2
          On jan 23 2009, a case was published of an aussie hurling his wife out of the window ...

I myself was once almost strangled to death by a now CFO of a major software company.

...economics does play a factor if the person holds a high management position. .

hey trekkie
          sorry abt yr personal encounter. i'm not familiar with the cases you mentioned (and all my following points here are hence speculation). and i suspect that part of the reason the foreigners there got away - if they get away - could be due to their respective diplomatic missions keeping the cases low profile and quietly settling whatever deals there may be.

Shd any case become high profile, reaching media - and worst - attracting political statements on human rights blah blah, SGP Govt can be assured to throw the whole weight of the law on the suspect, regardless of the colour of the skin (well, if the skin has Star and Stripes, maybe the strokes get reduced a la M. Fay).

anyway, on the point i made abt the Romanian diplomat 'suspected' of hit and run, i did a quick google, and i'll leave the link to speak for itself: http://news.asiaone.com/News/the%2BS...07-220573.html

Comment

Originally posted by Megatop View Post
            Obviously you are not Singaporean. Some of the things you say are quite ridiculous.
            I am afraid that is his/her style. Somehow SQTalk has become a platform to express his/her political view of Singapore Government, Temasek and SQ, which in my personal view is not the ideal place to do so. My personal opinion is that claims made need to be more balanced in nature and a more thoughtful/matured self-analysis of the facts are required. As far as strangulation by the CFO, we really do not know the fact of the case or what is the background leading to the strangulation. I personally have my doubts.

Whilst it is always easier to be critical but not so easy at the other side to fulfill the expectations.

Ultimately, one still has the choice to stay or leave a country.
            Last edited by LionCity; 23 June 2010, 09:47 PM.

Comment

FOLLOW THE LAW and PROCEDURES and NEVER question UNCLE SAM.
              Its changing. If you've been following the press here, there is a lot of talk about Generation Y, those born in the 80s here generally- my generation. They are less inclined to follow rules set in place simply because they are, they question and want to be more involved in about everything, more independent.

There was a lot of talk a few years ago about how the secondary school (high school) syllabus has been changing and how National Service (conscript Army/Police) has been changing with this generation. These people are now entering the workforce, and probably within ten to twenty years, I'd imagine, things would be quite different. In my parents time, Co-Curricular activities in school where sports and uniform groups. Now in the JC I was in for sometime, there are students forming groups like the Vegetarianism Society, and the Animal Welfare Society- clearly the aspirations are quite different. From stability and a decent income to a higher perhaps Self-Actualisation if you will.

Of course this generation is also seen, quite unflatteringly, to be a lot more spoilt, softer, having not been through the hardships of their forefathers 3-4 generations ago who built the country from scratch but these are a lot that would question and rebel if need be.

So I don't think its quite correct to say Singaporeans don't question probably the younger ones would, and that's what I see in my generation.

I think Jammed might be right, it could be something that their foreign missions took on.

I did my National Service with the Police Force, not the military, and as far as I've seen, we are perfectly indifferent when it comes to nationality.

Comment

deleted
                Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:31 PM.

Comment

I hesitate to respond directly to your post given how you posted previously but it is never my intention make sqtalk into some kind of "political platform" so to speak. Where you and i defer is that i don't agree with the convention and am able to now back it up. Where we differ is that in this case, i don't sit on the fence necessarily.

The facts are real. The strangulation of the cab driver was published on 12 Jan 2009 under "airline exec..." There's even a nice photo of the charming guy. The aussie hurling his wife story was published on 23 Jan 2009 in the infamous paper. As for my personal experience, that is true but i won't go into detail. I will say he is a solitaire member and yes he still takes SQ services.

A comment was posted that SIN laws are strict and all i'm saying is that view varries. I fully respect jammed's opinion but just stating that economics may be a factor. If you are absolutely certain that SIN laws are "tight", then why am i able to cite 2 cases above which may show otherwise.

I also wasn't aware that its unsingaporean to try to forsee and point out potential fare increases. Ie, your money being lost.

I had linked it to this graffiti story. It should make sense.

I hope we can move on now.
                  Trekkie, I am not going on this instance going to respond to you on every basis. Relax, sit back and enjoy your life....I haven't been to or known a perfect country or government and no point trying to over-whine on it. Write a trip report of your holidays and being positive does make your life more interesting.

I remembered my well-cloistered young relative who never bothered about service staff, one day became a temporary waiter in Singapore....and the feedback was that many Singaporeans should treat service folks with more thoughtfulness. He was changed after that and stopped whinning about everything.

Comment

Singapore to cane Swiss graffiti vandal

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...0625-z9mk.html
                    Here we go again...

Comment

One less stroke than Michael Fay's 4 strokes! I wonder if the Swiss government pressured S'pore...unlikely.

Comment

Shame. I hope his appeal goes ok.

Comment

Deleted
                          Last edited by Megatop; 17 November 2011, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by graffiscool View Post
                            I doubt his appeal will be successful. Caning is mandatory for vandalism.

And yes, what he did was a shame.

Comment

Deleted
                              Last edited by Megatop; 17 November 2011, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by graffiscool View Post
                                Shame he only got sentenced to three strokes. At least the lasting scars will make him think twice, nay thrice, about committing acts of vandalism in future. Good on you Singapore

Comment

Working...
                                X