Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inix View Post
    SQTraveler,

Anyway, I've observed that some of my well educated Asian friends are having difficulties applying new Work Permits / Employment Passes, reflecting the political reality on the ground that there is a groundswell of anti lower-mid tier immigration. I haven't seen it affect any Europeans (i'm assuming you are), so it might be different.

But you might want to actually consider insuring yourself against it and have a backdoor in the event that your employment is not approved by the country's ministry.
    Hi there, I'm an asian expat currently working in S'pore and I can tell you I never regret a single moment to move to S'pore. For the last 15 years, I've experienced life in great cities like Melbourne, LA, Jakarta, KL and finally here in Singapore. I had no problem to apply for the PR after just 9 months in S'pore on a work permit....I'm even thinking of converting my citizenship to become Singaporean whenever I'm qualified to.

Nothing beats the feeling of being in a safe, modern and healthy environment. Yes certain things can be expensive, but if u know the way to manage your financial well, you're better off living here than many other places. Tho I'm still single now, I can imagine myself starting and having a family here...it's just great. If you're the social type of person, you'll find plenty of friendly locals or expats in this country. Just my 2 cents...

Comment

post deleted
      Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by diecastdrool View Post
        Hi there, I'm an asian expat currently working in S'pore and I can tell you I never regret a single moment to move to S'pore. For the last 15 years, I've experienced life in great cities like Melbourne, LA, Jakarta, KL and finally here in Singapore. I had no problem to apply for the PR after just 9 months in S'pore on a work permit....I'm even thinking of converting my citizenship to become Singaporean whenever I'm qualified to.

Nothing beats the feeling of being in a safe, modern and healthy environment. Yes certain things can be expensive, but if u know the way to manage your financial well, you're better off living here than many other places. Tho I'm still single now, I can imagine myself starting and having a family here...it's just great. If you're the social type of person, you'll find plenty of friendly locals or expats in this country. Just my 2 cents...

Comment

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
          All I really want, is to be close to a MRT stop and to have a swimming pool!!
          Forget about a place with a pool and you will find it easier to get a cheaper place. You can aways join a gym with a pool, will be cheaper than having your own. Costs a lot to run a pool, mind you not as bad as in the UK where you have to heat it as well.

Comment

I think you'd have to look at the North-Northwest area if that's your criteria, SQtraveller

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore Sling View Post
              Forget about a place with a pool and you will find it easier to get a cheaper place. You can aways join a gym with a pool, will be cheaper than having your own. Costs a lot to run a pool, mind you not as bad as in the UK where you have to heat it as well.
              post deleted
              Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:34 AM.

Comment

I didn't mean get my own place (house) - that's how you interpreted it. I was thinking more like an apartment block with its own pool and gym.
                Yes I did get a bit confused when you started talking about wanting a pool, I thought you meant you wanted your own private pool.

How is the search going, have you found anything yet?

Comment

I didn't mean get my own place (house) - that's how you interpreted it. I was thinking more like an apartment block with its own pool and gym.
                  oh for SGD1 million, no one here will be referring to a house if you are looking for an apt blk with own pool and gym, ie. condo, SGD1 million is abt the price you are looking at, give or take $n,000 - $n00,000, depending on a few other factors such as no. of bedrooms, location from town, etc.

Comment

Wow!!! I was looking at buying a place in Singapore and it is really expensive. I've see prices in the SG$1million plus bracket - is that the normal price?!?

Would any local based people willing to give me some pointers as to where I should be looking to buy?

All I really want, is to be close to a MRT stop and to have a swimming pool!!

Thanks,

SQT
                    Singapore's housing isn't cheap. Especially since you're looking for private apartments with a pool. Your best bet would now be the north which is still hovering under 800K
                    Life's A Bitch,
                    Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

If you are looking at a condo yes 1MM++ SGD is what you need to plan if you don't want to be out there North or West all the way. Yes it is expensive (which is why I'm still renting as you need a sizeable down payment too).

Now almost all condos (not HDB - public housing which you can rent or buy on secondary market) come with pool and other amenities. Of course in prime districts (9, 10, 11 - it goes by numbers here) which is around Orchard Road one million means not much and it can go way higher. All depends. Also woill it be a 99-year leasehold, 999-year leashold or a freehold. The price goes up by quite a bit when you come to longterm leasehold or freehold.

Honestly, if your company would pay the rent for you then do that and then when you have a better feeling of the place and a better overview of how finances will work out you can consider buying. Many people here buy places that are not even build yet to get a bit lower prices and hope they will make a profit by the time the place is build.

Ohh and condo's near and MRT always command a premium as you may imagine.

Comment

To be honest the market is plateau-ing again, not the best time to buy, imho...

Comment

Not an expert on housing but if you're looking at convenience and price, I'd say avoid staying at districts 9-11, the central, town areas.

The transportation system is great and Sg's so small. I'd rather get an apartment near Kembangan in the East. A lot more peaceful there and its precisely a 12 minute train ride to City Hall. And it would probably cost you a lot, and I mean a lot less than staying at say Orchard.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                            To be honest the market is plateau-ing again, not the best time to buy, imho...
                            Which octopus did you hear that from?

Comment

The one called the Straits Times about a week ago?

Although they also said it could have been due to the World Cup... I tend not to agree on that note since a house-purchase should obviously take priority and most buyers would rather sort that out over waiting for the WC to finish... I could be wrong however

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
                                Not an expert on housing but if you're looking at convenience and price, I'd say avoid staying at districts 9-11, the central, town areas.

The transportation system is great and Sg's so small. I'd rather get an apartment near Kembangan in the East. A lot more peaceful there and its precisely a 12 minute train ride to City Hall. And it would probably cost you a lot, and I mean a lot less than staying at say Orchard.
                                Agreed but even in the areas you suggest 1MM SGD is easily spend if you are looking to buy a 2+ bedrooms in a newer development. Prices are way up there these days. Rent for a 2-bedroom in that area is also easily in the 3.5K SGD a month range in particular in close MRT proximity (just the other day I was offered a newish but small 2-bedroom condo in Simei for 3.6K SGD a month unfurnished - I left laughing).

As the OP does not have to worry about rent from what I have understood I think that is a great way to come and figure out if you like to buy and an appropriate area (tastes differ). Now if you are talking Pungol or further then of course it does get cheaper by a fair margin
                                Last edited by demue; 19 July 2010, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X