No announcement yet.

Should I move to Singapore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singapore is a great place to work in. No doubt about that. But, it's only a great place to live in if you have the money. In Singapore, the only thing free is the air you breathe. That's how the all time joke about what the ruling party's abbreviated name stands for came about.

Comment

Question........isnt the price of a luxury car more expensive in SQ than say another country. EX, A BMW M3 that costs around 60k in the U.S costs 120,000?

Comment

Question........isnt the price of a luxury car more expensive in SQ than say another country. EX, A BMW M3 that costs around 60k in the U.S costs 120,000?
        Not sure what's the price in US, but in SIN, the price of major European car models start from around $250k onwards. And the sports series could go as high as $300 to $350k

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_SIA View Post
          Even the Norwegians agree they come second to Singapore...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            Even the Norwegians agree they come second to Singapore...
            Yep, cars are, on average, 10% cheaper to buy in Norway as compared to SIN...
            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Singapore do not have the most expensive cars n the world... try Myanmar.... okay until at least next few months...
              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Its a good place. I am there.

Comment

post deleted
                  Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:08 AM.

Comment

If you do come over just be mindful of flying near Christmas as flights are always fully booked as people go via Singapore to OZ etc If it will be right at the end of the year then arrange to come out during Christmas and Ney year then go spend NYE in Bali or OZ!

Comment

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
                      I've had a meeting recently with the boss who says that if I agree, the move will take place at the end of this year.
                      Like Nike says "Just Do It!"... Give it a year and if you are fed up with SIN by then, you can always move on... No harm done...
                      God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                        Like Nike says "Just Do It!"... Give it a year and if you are fed up with SIN by then, you can always move on... No harm done...

Unlikely to be technically fully correct......

A company shipping over personnel, and in this case so far, will likely state in their contract a minimum "pay-back" time of anywhere between 2-5yrs. Though difficult to fully enforce be mindful that there could be a penalty for going home "early" into a contract that could include repayment of moving fees and visa fees etc.

Just something to look out for SQTr.

Comment

In case I plan to move-in here for a relatively long stay, would I need to learn Mandarin? Is it the main language in the island as far as daily conversations are concerned?

Comment

No, English is probably the main language spoken, although Mandarin comes in a close second, I'd say (certainly street signs and the like are all in English).

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                              No, English is probably the main language spoken, although Mandarin comes in a close second, I'd say (certainly street signs and the like are all in English).

Singlish is the main language, and as a newcomer it can take a bit of getting used to though as an English native speaker is certainly far easier. My wife, whose second language is English, does tend to find the language and accent a little tricky.

How close is it though between Mandarin and Cantonese for 2nd spot? I hear as much Cantonese as just about anything else.

Comment

Canto only in Chinatown, mostly

Other than that I rarely hear it used. Singaporean Hokkien is far more common in my opinion. But you're right - it's not English exactly, it's Singlish! (a smattering of Hokkien/Mandarin/English sometimes)

Comment

Working...
                                X