Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed: Hotels and time

Advice needed for 2 questions please.

1) Recommendation for a hotel for overnight stay in Singapore not to expensive.

I have booked The Royal at the £1 special with Singapore Airlines but after reading the reviews I am not sure I have done the right thing!

2) Our flight is at 9.am what time should we get to the airport?

Thanks

1) When you say not too expensive, have you got a maximum figure in mind ?. There are some good value Hotels in Singapore at varying rates if you shop around. At the moment the Conrad and Hilton are available Thursday to Suday at great rates through Hiltons January sale, but you won't get near £1 !!. What other Hotels are available under the package ?. I haven't heard of a Hotel called The Royal!.

2) That depends what you want to do while you are there. Where are you flying, with who and it what class ?.

If you can be a little more specific it will be easier to help.

Comment

Probably this place:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...Singapore.html

For £1, you get what you pay for I imagine but given that this is Singapore and offered as part of the SQ stopover promotion, I don't think it should be that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        1) When you say not too expensive, have you got a maximum figure in mind ?. There are some good value Hotels in Singapore at varying rates if you shop around. At the moment the Conrad and Hilton are available Thursday to Suday at great rates through Hiltons January sale, but you won't get near £1 !!. What other Hotels are available under the package ?. I haven't heard of a Hotel called The Royal!.

2) That depends what you want to do while you are there. Where are you flying, with who and it what class ?.

If you can be a little more specific it will be easier to help.
        The Hotel is called the Hotel Royal on Newton Road. I only picked it because they were doing a special at the time.

I was looking at the Crown Plaza Changi Airport hotel but my husband will not pay approx £200 for a few hours sleep. I would rather stay there so we are can walk to the airport. I worry as we are not seasoned travellers!

We are are travelling with Singapore airlines We will only want to have a few hours sleep, as we land at 17.25 on the Friday and leave at 9.am Saturday morning. My husband can't sleep on a plane or so he says. Lol

I would love to see Singapore but I am sure all we will want to do is sleep!

Comment

Originally posted by ultra1984 View Post
          The Hotel is called the Hotel Royal on Newton Road. I only picked it because they were doing a special at the time.

I was looking at the Crown Plaza Changi Airport hotel but my husband will not pay approx £200 for a few hours sleep. I would rather stay there so we are can walk to the airport. I worry as we are not seasoned travellers!

We are are travelling with Singapore airlines We will only want to have a few hours sleep, as we land at 17.25 on the Friday and leave at 9.am Saturday morning. My husband can't sleep on a plane or so he says. Lol

Would suggest you book a room at the Airport Transit Hotels (T2 and T3). You book blocks. They are reasonable, clean and suit a quick overnighter like yours and you dont need to leave the airport. Even if you moved a better hotel.. the hassle of getting out of Changi then getting a transit bus to the hotel and then the early morning pick up is a total hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by whatsthequestionnow View Post
            Would suggest you book a room at the Airport Transit Hotels (T2 and T3). You book blocks. They are reasonable, clean and suit a quick overnighter like yours and you dont need to leave the airport. Even if you moved a better hotel.. the hassle of getting out of Changi then getting a transit bus to the hotel and then the early morning pick up is a total hassle.
            Can you book more than 1 block at a time. I believe the blocks are for 6 hours. Is that right? Any idea how much it costs? I am really grateful for all your advice.

Comment

I have to say that despite being into three figures for visits to Singapore, and having stayed in many hotels, I hadn't heard of that one.

I agree the transit Hotels are probably your best bet, but as I am a regular visitor and know the place well I always go into town. You can get to the hotels in Suntec (Conrad, Pan Pacific) in 20 minutes and Orchard Road in about 30.

Having said that if you really need some sleep then town is somewhat irrelevant. As a matter of interest where are you flying in from and where are you departing to ?.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                I have to say that despite being into three figures for visits to Singapore, and having stayed in many hotels, I hadn't heard of that one.

I agree the transit Hotels are probably your best bet, but as I am a regular visitor and know the place well I always go into town. You can get to the hotels in Suntec (Conrad, Pan Pacific) in 20 minutes and Orchard Road in about 30.

Having said that if you really need some sleep then town is somewhat irrelevant. As a matter of interest where are you flying in from and where are you departing to ?.
                We are flying from Heathrow to New Zealand. It is a once in a life time trip for us to see our daughter who lives in New Zealand. I can't see us doing the trip again because of the cost and our age.!

Comment

We are are travelling with Singapore airlines We will only want to have a few hours sleep, as we land at 17.25 on the Friday and leave at 9.am Saturday morning.
                  Hotel Royal is located abt 2 km away from Orchard Road (SGP's Oxford Street if you will) and 5 min drive away, except there's usually a traffic jam from the Newton Circus and Scotts Road lead up to Orchard Road.

Wat is more impt for you is the major highways leading to Hotel Royal - Pan Island Expressway and Central Expressway - are expected to jam to a crawl abt the time after you land. The cab ride will definitely cost you in excess of SGD25, if not closer to SGD30. Your Sat am ride to the airport will be smoother tho, since its a weekend.

If its only sleep you want, think you shd seriously re-consider such a faraway hotel. Apart from wat guys above have suggested, i can also think of some closer to the airport, such as the few near East Coast (eg http://www-singapore.com/grand-mercure-roxy/) which is just 10 min drive from Changi along the main East Coast Parkway. There is also a major mall (Parkway Parade) for you to walk ard if you choose not to sleep yr time away in SGP

hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
                    Hotel Royal is located abt 2 km away from Orchard Road (SGP's Oxford Street if you will) and 5 min drive away, except there's usually a traffic jam from the Newton Circus and Scotts Road lead up to Orchard Road.

Wat is more impt for you is the major highways leading to Hotel Royal - Pan Island Expressway and Central Expressway - are expected to jam to a crawl abt the time after you land. The cab ride will definitely cost you in excess of SGD25, if not closer to SGD30. Your Sat am ride to the airport will be smoother tho, since its a weekend.

If its only sleep you want, think you shd seriously re-consider such a faraway hotel. Apart from wat guys above have suggested, i can also think of some closer to the airport, such as the few near East Coast (eg http://www-singapore.com/grand-mercure-roxy/) which is just 10 min drive from Changi along the main East Coast Parkway. There is also a major mall (Parkway Parade) for you to walk ard if you choose not to sleep yr time away in SGP

hope this helps

This has been a big help thank you.

Comment

I would also second the Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel. Was there 2 weeks ago and it was very reasonable for an overnight stay with some reasonable food options over the road at Parkway Parade.

They even provide a free airport shuttle that runs every 1/2 hour. A taxi would cost about SGD10-12 from the airport I think.

Good luck!!

Comment

if you guys settled on Roxy, Parkway Parade is just opposite across the road. There's a food court at the basement. On level 3 (if i remember correctly)is a huge supermarket named Giant. If you venture east of Parkway Parade, there's wat we locals called a hawker centre, which essentiallly is a market place of local cheap and yummy cooked food - now, that's SGP culture. Ask locals you meet for directions

Comment

I'm thirding the grand mercure roxy. I paid for a superior room both times in the last month or so and got upgraded to a deluxe.

The complimentary shuttle to the airport only departs every hour. On the hour to T1 and T3, and on the half hour to T2.

Taxi rides from the airport are about $20 FROM the airport, and about 12-15 to the Airport.

Comment

ultra1984,

Go for the Grand Mecure Roxy, you will not regret it.

Comment

With your requirements, it's either Grand Mercure Roxy or the Transit Hotel.

I have stayed at Grand Mercure 3 times in the last 3 months, the airport shuttle (to-and-fro) is a good perk. The rooms are spacious and the hotel is relatively new.

Hotel Royal is too far and the cabaret operating at the ground floor of the hotel gives it a rather seedy image.

Comment

Working...
                              X