This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absence of Shoe-Shine Kiosks in Changi/Singapore

Can anyone explain why is it that you never ever see manually (manned) shoe-shine kiosks at Changi Airport, actually in the whole of Singapore?

Why does this conspicuous absence exist? Especially considering the fact that you see them in other affluent, first-world countries? Manual shoe-shine workers take on great pride in their work and quite deservedly so. You see them at airports in North America, Spain, Dublin, Frankfurt and even in Harrods lavatory (no longer though). Automated rotating, bristling shoe-shine machines just don't give that experience of relaxing on a high chair with nice polish wafting through the air and a glowing pair of brogues to float on later.

Changi should seriously look into this glaring absence of facility.
    Last edited by Caravelle; 6 May 2009, 07:09 PM.

just take a look who are these shoe-shine workers - think we dont need them at Changi - automated ones are good enough to clean up.

Comment

This is in response to flyguy's posting.

I'm not sure where you hang out at to get your shoes manually polished (if at all?) but here are some examples and standards of what I'm referring to.

Many people I know who like automated shoe shine machines have never had the opportunity of experiencing their shoes shone by professionals. It is quite an experience. (I suppose the parallel would be - who couldn't settle for a customized body massage instead of lying on a coin operated automated massage chair, unless one's finances are tight?)

http://blogretailrefugees.files.word...oeshine_t5.jpg

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/ai...shoeshine2.JPG

http://www.travelinstyle.com/aswan/oldcatar2_r2_c7.jpg

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news06...eService.shtml

http://www.orlandoairports.net/image...shine_west.jpg

Such quality service would dovetail neatly with Changi's other premium offerings.

Caravelle
      Last edited by Caravelle; 6 May 2009, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Why don't you write in to Changi airport and suggest they have a shoe shine place - There is a feedback form on their website.

Comment

Thanks Lobster,

I'll send in my feedback to Changi Airport. The purpose of my thread was just to solicit the probable reasons why shoe-shine kiosks simply don't exist in Singapore. I'm still perplexed.

Caravelle
          Last edited by Caravelle; 6 May 2009, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caravelle View Post
            This is in response to flyguy's posting.

I'm not sure where you hang out at to get your shoes manually polished (if at all?) ...
            Bingo.

But I don't think he likes hanging out with that kind of people, whatever he meant in his obnoxious post:
            Originally posted by flyguy View Post
            just take a look who are these shoe-shine workers - think we dont need them at Changi - automated ones are good enough to clean up.
            Last edited by jjpb3; 6 May 2009, 06:15 AM.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I think some of us polish our own shoes; legacy from National Service days of polishing our boots. At the same time, I am inclined to believe that those who don't polish it on their own have their domestic helpers to do it for them. Or some just couldn't be bothered to do so.

This is my guess as to why you don't see shoe shine kiosk around.

Comment

what i meant was that these shoe-shinners/polishers in the US n Europe are usually the less fortunate people with lower income (and usually Blacks) and have to work at such polishing shoes at the train stations in US and in only a handful of US airports in the unrestricted areas. However time have pass on by since the earlier days of such humble shoe-shinners and that to say "don't give that experience of relaxing on a high chair ..." well is something like that of "colonial" days.
                In this present day, one can always sent their shoes to be polished at kiosks that are around in shopping centres etc but then one must leave the shoes behind for a couple of hrs to be done and not "sit on a high chair" whilst having your shoes polished. In fact many if not all the airports in Far East Asia do not have such services at their airports.

Comment

Anyone can understand the nuance of your statement - ".........just take a look who are these shoe-shine workers - think we dont need them at Changi - automated ones are good enough to clean u'.

I don't think that went down well with many bloggers. Ostracism has no place in this society.

Nothing "colonial" about sitting on a high chair as shoe-shine trade necessitates this physical juxtapose. Nothing colonial about this juxtapose, unless you want to infer that masseurs sitting on benches lower than their clients' during foot reflexology sessions is also a hangover from "Colonial Days". Humble podiatrists - beware - your trade necessitates improper, feudalistic and cumbersome practices that only serves to appease our "Colonial Days" subordination. Single ladies - please reject your fiances proposing to you on bended knees - that smacks of "Colonial Days" too.

We need to distinguish between functional and physical necessities required in jobs and perceived subordination.

Caravelle
                  Last edited by Caravelle; 7 May 2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks jjpb3.

I'm so glad that there are conscientious bloggers like you!

Right on!

Caravelle.

Comment

There is nothing more colonial than colloquial English.

Caravelle

Comment

if i may, suggest a possible reason why there isn't one?

perhaps there simply isn't enough consumer demand for such a facility at changi, or indeed in singapore?

Departing passengers simply arrive an hour or so before their flight and in the intervening time are sufficiently occupied by the range of shops at the departure lounge.

Arriving passengers just want to get the heck out of the place?

And as for transit passengers. I'm not exactly certain that having a shoe polish isn't particularly high on the priority list of transit passengers. at least it won't be for me. I'm more concerned about a nice meal and a shower.

Anyway, its just the culture in Singapore. Very few people will pay $5 or so to get a shoe polish in Singapore. Most "shoe polish" businesses offer cobbling and key cutting services to keep some decent income coming in.

Comment

I think the hypotheses that 9V-JKL and kelvgoh put forward are very reasonable. In some countries, there just isn't a culture that can provide the critical mass of customers to sustain a shoe-shining business, and in addition one that might dovetail with Changi's brand promise. As an example, the London cobblers I initially approached gave me funny looks when I asked whether they would polish my shoes (just that, no repairs) for a fee. It was a service I took for granted in New York City.

flyguy, I'm just floored by the level of disdain towards people with low incomes and dark complexions you've expressed in your posts. Perhaps you didn't intend the connotations of the words you chose, but they're there. So what if the shoe-shiners/polishers come from a lower income bracket, and what possible relevance does race have in a discussion about how viable a service would be in Changi or Singapore? Are you saying customers share your aversion to 'less fortunate people with lower income (and usually Blacks)'?
                          what i meant was that these shoe-shinners/polishers in the US n Europe are usually the less fortunate people with lower income (and usually Blacks) and have to work at such polishing shoes at the train stations in US and in only a handful of US airports in the unrestricted areas.
                          Odious.
                          Last edited by jjpb3; 7 May 2009, 09:34 PM.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

dont know why some keep spinning on this - as what I meant was that there are no need now for shoe-shiners as now there should not be anyone to be one unless they want to take it up in this present time - but only as novel ideas or for those who still insists on having someone to shine their shoes whilst sitting on a high chair. But the reason there is none in Asia's airports are just that there is no demand for this service. Thats all.

Comment

dont know why some keep spinning on this -

Bearing in mind some of your comments in this thread could at best be described as distasteful, and at worst racist, I find it incredible you continue to add to it.

Give it a rest, before you do any more damage to this thread and yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X