Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prices at SIN hotel restaurants too high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
    I continue to take my stand that some of the best food in Singapore is found in hawker centers and not hotels/restaurants. And it is possible to have breakfast, lunch AND dinner for US$8/day.
    I second that! I am heading to SG to visit friends and can't wait to stuff my face with prata and hokkien fried noodles and chicken rice and chwee kueh and chai tao kueh.... nomnom.

But there's prob still a Ritz Carlton champagne brunch lined up with friends because EUR75 for all that nosh and booze is a bargain I can't pass up.

Comment

I read years ago that some Singapore hotel buffets weigh and charge for leftovers to prevent (kiasu!) locals piling their plates with food which nevers gets eaten. Is this still the case ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        I read years ago that some Singapore hotel buffets weigh and charge for leftovers to prevent (kiasu!) locals piling their plates with food which nevers gets eaten. Is this still the case ?
        I do see some signages but i believe that it is rarely enforced.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          Within reason.. they don't want the hordes leaving piles of food behind which will get thrown away. Pretty sure they are quite relaxed about it now (since locals have now been 'educated/encouraged' to go easy on the stockpiling)

Comment

i never have problems with food costs... it's when the hotels charge 32SGD for internet (yes, i am talking to you st. regis), that i find ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
              i never have problems with food costs... it's when the hotels charge 32SGD for internet (yes, i am talking to you st. regis), that i find ridiculous.
              Which is why taipeiflyer elects the internet as his Plat Amenity...
              HUGE AL

Comment

It's the Internet that most 'premium' hotels are using to gouge guests at the moment.

I'm regularly seeing prices of USD20 and upwards in Hilton-standard hotels nowadays for 24 hours. An utter rip-off.

Worse are the ones that don't even offer free-wifi in the lounge, but on that note - USD20 is comparable to SGD32 (although far overpriced by Singaporean standards).

We need to start an Internet campaign to get ourselves heard! We want free (or at least reasonably-priced) Internet!

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                  Which is why taipeiflyer elects the internet as his Plat Amenity...
                  yes, i have done this on more than one occasion. will do it again too!

Comment

In case anyone is interested, here are the current prices for some of dining venues at the Pan Pacific hotel in Singapore:

The buffet breakfast at Global Kitchen is $35++, thus the nett price is at S$41.20.

For lunch on weekdays (Mondays to Fridays), Global Kitchen is serving Buffet at $38++, thus the nett cost is at S$44.70.

On Sundays, Global Kitchen in serving Champagne Brunch at $108++ per person (with alcohol) and S$88++ per person (non alcohol). Thus, nett price is S$127.12 and S$103.58 respectively.

Comment

A stop that is a must on any tourists itin should be a jaunt to Newton Circus... The best food I've had... Chilli sting-ray

That being said, I had dinner with friends at "The Line" at the Shangri-La (a buffet restaurant for those who've not eaten there) and for $SGD80 nett - at the time it felt a bit overpriced but after finishing - I'm fairly confident I got my $SGD80 worth

As a whole I find the price of alcohol when you go out to a club quite expensive ($SGD12 is the cheapest I think I've paid for a beer)

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                        As a whole I find the price of alcohol when you go out to a club quite expensive ($SGD12 is the cheapest I think I've paid for a beer)
                        Maybe it is like the "sin tax" on tobacco; they may be trying to discourage excessive drinking (at least at the Singers clubs). I think it works...

Comment

The smoking laws in Singapore seem to change everytime I visit e.g within the space of a month (Dec08 - Jan09) they'd brought in a series of new smoking laws, fortunately the police officer who brought these to my attention was nice enough to kindly inform me of these...

Maybe trying to distance Singapore away from the reputation that Bangkok developed - I don't know and it certainly wont stop me from 1. drinking or 2. smoking, you either like it or lump it - I'll like it

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                            The smoking laws in Singapore seem to change everytime I visit e.g within the space of a month (Dec08 - Jan09) they'd brought in a series of new smoking laws, fortunately the police officer who brought these to my attention was nice enough to kindly inform me of these...

Maybe trying to distance Singapore away from the reputation that Bangkok developed - I don't know and it certainly wont stop me from 1. drinking or 2. smoking, you either like it or lump it - I'll like it
                            Yes, smoking laws have changed since the beginning of this year..... about the only place you can smoke legally will be standing in the middle of a street... but then you will be breaking the jaywalking law...
                            This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Working...
                            X