Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speculations on Changi Airport Terminal 4 (T4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculations on Changi Airport Terminal 4 (T4)

Does anybody have any updates on T4? I assume that it would have to be constructed on the eastern reclaimed area. It would be a shame to see the physically connected T1, T2 and T3 located 3 kms away from T4.

I wonder how the new T4 to T1/T2/T3 cluster people-mover system will connect with the existing T1/T2/T3 inter-terminal people-mover system. It'll be a logistical nightmare, having 2 sets of trains - airside and publicly accessible - just how will the existing T1/T2/T3 air trains connect with T4, I wonder.

There is also no suitable area within the T1/T2/T3 cluster that can be set aside to serve as a central station interfacing with a inter-terminal people-mover system to a remotely located T4.

Perhaps, Changi Airport will do a "Beijing Capital airport" and designate T1/T2/T3 to one airline and T4 to a all other airlines? Even with this arrangement, the inter-airline transit traffic would still necessitate an inter-terminal train system.

Any bright ideas out there - apart from re-developing T1/T2/T3 all together?

Some previous discussions in this thread:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3633

Comment

Changi Airport Terminal 4 inter-connectivity proposal with the T1/T2/T3 cluster

The only feasible proposal I see is to execute an Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson/Denver Int Airport (DIA) parallel terminal layout plan morphing with the existing T2. More specifically, the existing T2 terminal, will form the main linear terminal block, with sets of parallel linear concourses located to its east. Inter-concourse trains can connect all the linear T2 concourses just like in Atlanta and DIA underground (and tunnelling under the apron areas). The linear concourses can be located on the reclaimed area, east of the existing 02C runway all the way to the eastern-most runway.

T1/T3 will then neatly be connected to the extended T2 "complex" (so an expanded T2 will do away will a T4) with the existing air train system. This plan will also minimise extensive re-modelling of the air-side, and the public accessible inter-terminal people-mover train system.

Isn't this a brilliant idea?

Comment

If 3 concourses are constructed at T2, they can be named - "East", "Middle East" and "Far East" concourses - named in opposing proximity to the main T2 terminal. Flights to Brunei, Kalimantan, Philippines can be grouped at the East concourse. The Middle East concourse will take care of Middle Eastern bound flights and of course - Far East concourse - catering to flights to Japan, Korea, China, HK, Vietnam. :-))))

Comment

Originally posted by Caravelle View Post
          If 3 concourses are constructed at T2, they can be named - "East", "Middle East" and "Far East" concourses - named in opposing proximity to the main T2 terminal. Flights to Brunei, Kalimantan, Philippines can be grouped at the East concourse. The Middle East concourse will take care of Middle Eastern bound flights and of course - Far East concourse - catering to flights to Japan, Korea, China, HK, Vietnam. :-))))
          Vietnam is Far East compared to the Philippines, which is just East?
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Hilarious......... was meant as a joke. It's Terminal.......ly witty......... :-))))

Comment

Originally posted by Caravelle View Post
              Then does this involve removing 20C/02C? It doesn't look like T2 can expand any further without eating into the taxiways and runway the way I visualise it.

Interesting idea for the names though

Comment

This posting is in response to wssaero's posting yesterday.

What I was referring to is the reclaimed area east of 20C/02C which I assume is earmarked for Changi Airport T4. 20C/02C can still stay put - as underground airside people mover system can cross perpendicularly to the linear concourses east of 20C/02C, right up to the eastern most runway (next to where the Singapore airshow is held). This will be a better arrangement than building an isolated core T4 from the eastern side of 20C/02C and remotely from the T1/T2/T3 cluster.
                Last edited by Caravelle; 6 May 2009, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks Caravelle for the explanation.

Comment

You are most welcome wssaero........

Comment

Working...
                    X