Changi runways & aircraft approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changi runways & aircraft approach

I have noticed for the past 1 or 2 months that all flights into changi are from the northern approach (coming in over Malaysia I guess - sorry for the poor description)...

I used to enjoy the view watching aircraft in their final approach from the east coast area... but now i find it very very rare to see a plane preparing to land on this approach.

It used to be common for the runway direction to change, eg mornings one direction followed by evenings another... actually one day when i was cycling past Changi I saw one plane land in one direction followed by another taking off in the opposite direction on the same runway.

Can anyone shed some light as to why they have stopped using the "east coast" approach?
    matt_will_fix_it

Originally posted by matt_will_fix_it View Post
    I have noticed for the past 1 or 2 months that all flights into changi are from the northern approach (coming in over Malaysia I guess - sorry for the poor description)...

I used to enjoy the view watching aircraft in their final approach from the east coast area... but now i find it very very rare to see a plane preparing to land on this approach.

It used to be common for the runway direction to change, eg mornings one direction followed by evenings another... actually one day when i was cycling past Changi I saw one plane land in one direction followed by another taking off in the opposite direction on the same runway.

Can anyone shed some light as to why they have stopped using the "east coast" approach?
    Changing wind directions.

Comment

Yeap.. Agree with Nick..

Probably the reason why u dont get to see much approaches from the east coast side is maybe cos the predominant wind direction in singapore has changed..
      Planes take off into the wind and land against the wind..

Comment

I think its the wind directions too.
        My observations:

The planes currently land from Changi beach side, this has just started last month and will probably continue till about November or December.

East Coast side landings usually occur from December to mid-year. (in May this time round)

During the changeover times, I have observed that the planes can land from either side, changing within hours or even flights. This usually only lasts for a few weeks.

I also noticed one time while watching landings in a storm one evening around November last year that planes came in from both sides on 20C. (they were usually come in from east coast side then). However during this storm visibility was rather poor and I saw quite a few go-arounds, so the change in direction then was probably to try to land the aircraft from the other side which might have better visibility.

Comment

I still see planes from the east... my apartment window looks out to the flight path....

The runway at Changi is in NE/SW direction. It is the SW monsoon now, if cming over Malaysia then wind will be from back..... I am not expert at this, you ask me ships, I can explain, but planes???
          This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Thanks for the info - it explains my curiosity as to what i've seen lately. my apartment window also looks over the flight path to the east - i used to be watching the morning news & see the A380 from LHR come in to land some days, but thats stopped now i'll just have to be patient & wait for the winds to change...

Thanks again!
            matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Thanks for the info - it explains my curiosity as to what i've seen lately. my apartment window also looks over the flight path to the east - i used to be watching the morning news & see the A380 from LHR come in to land some days, but thats stopped now i'll just have to be patient & wait for the winds to change...

Thanks again!
              At least you get to see the A380. I only see Super Pumas, Chinooks and Apaches when I'm back in Singapore

Comment

Well, i guess i'm worse off..

I only get to see the C130s, F5s n occasionally some F16s.. Paya Lebar Airport..

Comment

lol you're all really disadvantaged , I personally enjoy watching and listening to the Hueys, Super Pumas, Chinooks, Apaches, Hercules, F-16 and the occasional F-5 that fly over my house

Comment

Sorry to veer this thread OT but I have been watching the Apaches and Chinook preparing for the National Day fly past from my office window.

Comment

NDP trainings for the F16 and the other military planes

if you want to see the east coast approach, you can see it from 9pm-11am on training days

also, this approach also cuts into the north approach into payar lebar air base.
                      thus when there is VIP flights, this approach cannot be used

PS: there is a rumor that SAF has asked SIA to display one of their A380 for this year NDP flypast

Comment

Thanks again!
                        U my neighbour?? East Coast?? Location??
                        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by JSF View Post
                          PS: there is a rumor that SAF has asked SIA to display one of their A380 for this year NDP flypast
                          Are u darn serious ?!

Well, i really wish for it to happen.. But somehow this hasnt realised from what i've seen in today's internal rehearsal !

Comment

A couple of pics i took today as they flew by.

Comment

I'd love to see the A380 for NDP.

At least you guys get to SEE the military planes...I only hear them during NDP trainings flying over my house, but can't see a thing in the air(except clouds)

Comment

Working...
                              X