Singapore Dining - 58 Minced Meat Mee in Bedok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Dining - 58 Minced Meat Mee in Bedok

One of the joys of travelling is tasting the local street food. I always sample the local cuisine when I travel overseas, but I have to say that those of us who live in Singapore (and other Asian countries too) are spoilt for choice when it comes to street food, much of which will remain undiscovered if you stick to the main attractions.

This is one example of a local place which you would typically never discover as a tourist -- in fact I only discovered it recently myself while wandering through one of the many markets and hawker centres in Singapore.

I have lived in the East Coast area of Singapore all of my life, but I have only recently discovered this gem of a hawker stall in Bedok, just a 10 minute drive from Changi Airport, off the ECP Exit 7B towards Bedok South Avenue 1, and similarly 15 minutes away from the city.

This stall, which serves local "bak chor mee" soup, or minced meat noodles, is deep in the market within an HDB housing estate.

It is not a well known place on the foodie tourist map, like 328 Katong Laksa, or Tian Tian Chicken Rice, or Crawford Street Mee Pok, but it has a very strong following for those in the know, and I would personally vouch for this as one of the most distinctive and tasty noodle dishes you can get in Singapore.

What's special about the noodles here? You get noodles, and mee pok, everywhere in Singapore.

This place serves only the version that comes in soup, not the "dry" variety where you get noodles in sauce/condiments, with soup separately.

These noodles (you have a choice of noodle varieties, including mee kia / thin noodles and mee pok) come in a rich pork broth, and a generous serving of pork dumplings, which are unique and extraordinarily delicious: soft and richly flavoured dumplings which almost melt in the mouth with fiavour.

The accompanying chilli is very hot, and comes not in soy sauce, but sour fish sauce, which gives the dish even more zing.

Mrs yflyer and I discovered this place completely by accident: we were wandering around the market and hawker centre one Sunday morning, and sat at a table opposite this stall. As is the custom in Singapore when hawker centres are busy, we shared tables. Mrs yflyer went off in search of other food.

There was no queue in front of this stall, however we noticed that the everyone seated at the tables close by were either slurping from bowls of noodles from this stall, or sitting there waiting for noodles. Unlike other stalls which had queues, this stall took orders and delivered them to your table -- and the invisible queue/waiting list was a long one!

I struck up a conversation with the man sharing our table, a portly young man with dyed hair and tattoos -- a tough looking guy, but like practically everyone you meet in Singapore neighbourhoods, he was friendly and chatty: "The noodles at this stall are very good. There is a 30 minute wait! They start at 5.30am in the morning, and finish up by 1 or 2pm." I would never have guessed. It was too crowded that day to order from that stall, but we made a note of this stall, and we headed back there a couple of days later to sample the noodles, and have been heading back there regularly since.

And these noodles go for either SGD 2.50 or SGD 3 for a large bowl. This is bang for the buck that is unmatched.

Highly recommended!

The address is: Blk 58, New Upper Changi Road #01-151 s461058 (Bedok).

It is more-or-less on the route between the city centre and Changi Airport, so if you have an hour to spare to/from the airport, and feel like trying some local food in a bustling, residential / market setting, this is not a bad bet. And there are many other dishes in the same hawker centre to try as well, if you are not keen on noodles.

Note that they are closed on Mondays.
    Last edited by yflyer; 11 February 2015, 11:14 PM.

Comment

I see lots of lard in that bowl of yours, yflyer!!! But nice recommendation, my friend. I will try someday. My in-laws live in Bedok North, so I frequent the Block 85 Fengshan Food Centre more.

Comment

Bedok 85 is meant to be the bomb. Don't eat pork, though, so I don't tend to join those particular eating expeditions...

There should be a Sg Hawker Compendium thread somewhere!

Comment

Looks interesting. I like it when an off-the-beaten-path eatery is mentioned, that too so close to the airport!

And good idea Kyo. In fact, I think there should be subforum for dining, like FT's DiningBuzz.

Comment

Aiya, why you pao-to (only SGPreans understand this), now one more place crowded seriously there's also a hokkien mee and char Kwan teow store there I used to frequent during NS, don't know whether still there

Comment

This should go into the old chestnut of:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242
              HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
                I see lots of lard in that bowl of yours, yflyer!!! But nice recommendation, my friend. I will try someday. My in-laws live in Bedok North, so I frequent the Block 85 Fengshan Food Centre more.
                Yes, they are quite generous with lard

I don't recall ever trying Blk 85 at Fenghan Food Centre...will check it out one of these days. Thanks for the recommendation as well, SQ22!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  Bedok 85 is meant to be the bomb. Don't eat pork, though, so I don't tend to join those particular eating expeditions...

There should be a Sg Hawker Compendium thread somewhere!
                  Wow...this block 85 market must be impressive! Yes, time to start posting to that food thread that HUGE AL managed to dig up...

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                    Looks interesting. I like it when an off-the-beaten-path eatery is mentioned, that too so close to the airport!.
                    The other place which is a convenient eating stop on the way to the airport is the East Coast Lagoon Food Village / East Coast Seafood Centre next to ECP, off Exit 7A, which is midway between the airport and the city, just off the main expressway.

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
                      Aiya, why you pao-to (only SGPreans understand this), now one more place crowded seriously there's also a hokkien mee and char Kwan teow store there I used to frequent during NS, don't know whether still there
                      Yup...was very tempted to keep it a secret. The wait on weekends is long enough already!

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                        This should go into the old chestnut of:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242
                        I browsed through that thread...some folks put in a lot of time and effort compiling that list!

The F&B scene in Singapore changes so fast though, so many of the places listed no longer exist.

Probably worth resurrecting that thread.

Comment

Love the Bak Chor Mee from that shop, few shops on the right is also a famous porridge shop.

Comment

Oooooh, hungry now, and so very far away :-(

Comment

Originally posted by GLAM82 View Post
                              Love the Bak Chor Mee from that shop, few shops on the right is also a famous porridge shop.
                              It is not that easy to find good porridge in Singapore...I am always on the lookout for good places. Will check this one out next time I am there...

Comment

Working...
                              X