Near Misses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Near Misses

I want to see if I was officially categorised as being in a near miss yesterday evening.

Aboard SQ863 from HKG to SIN we were held over Malaysia due to bad weather and congestion at Changi. I had a window seat (K) on the B772 and out of it around 5:05pm I saw a Jet Airways flight banking away from us just above the tip of our wing (height wise). It had obviously been heading more closely towards us before it banked away.

The plane was clear as day, Jet Airways, and only a few hundred meters away. I've seen planes further away while taxiing around airports.

As these incidents need reported I want to find out if anything was, hence it was officially a near miss.....I know it would never appear voluntarily in the press here, for example.

Scary!

Comment

In normal circumstances, planes need to be separated 1000 feet vertically and 3nm horizontally. From your description, it seems that there might have been a near miss.

In the industry, this is called a loss of separation. See article here on a similar incident 3 days ago: Qantas A330s in loss of separation incident

However, planes nowadays are fitted with a Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS). This system will warn pilots if planes are getting too close for comfort (Traffic Advisories) and provide instructions to prevent conflict (Resolution Advisories). So if the pilot follows the instructions, all should be fine. In recent years, there have been fewer and fewer mid air collisions

Comment

Originally posted by FSJZ View Post
        In normal circumstances, planes need to be separated 1000 feet vertically and 3nm horizontally. From your description, it seems that there might have been a near miss.

I would say we were well within both distances, horizontally half or less. It's always difficult to tell when you're crapping your pants though

Comment

any updates? I have been following this with a bit of surprise (perhaps shock is a more accurate adjective)

Comment

Looks like some people here are confusing Comic Camera with SQT...

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
              Looks like some people here are confusing Comic Camera with SQT...

Sorry....that one went over my head.

From my side, I haven't the connections to find anything out and am hoping somebody out there knows something?

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                Sorry....that one went over my head.

From my side, I haven't the connections to find anything out and am hoping somebody out there knows something?
                Actually in this case, the loss of separation was most likely the Air Traffic Control's fault. Pilots are not fully responsible for maintaining a safe separation distance in IFR flight and they just have to comply to ATC's instructions.

But if the separation is breached, the pilots have to follow the TCAS warning and resolution advisories to climb or descend respectively.

Mid air collisions are very rare nowadays, don't worry

FYI TCAS

Comment

Another kind of near miss - at Changi.

http://www.relax.com.sg/article/news...changi-airport

Comment

Check out here if a report has been opened. This is your best bet.

Most likely, it should have been nothing out of the ordinary as mentioned before, the aircrafts have TCAS and ATC equipment also have built in warning systems to warn controllers of impending collisions.

Was it like this ?

Comment

Working...
                    X