Gordon Ramsay in Singapore 7 july 2013, newton food centre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon Ramsay in Singapore 7 july 2013, newton food centre

Hi, im sure some of the food addicts would be following the above closely. If anyone has seen him in real life in singapore the past few days , at the st regis. or previously anywhere around the world, would love to get your opinion. Ie, is his cooking up to par?

Based on the video of him at Maxwell Road, at the Tian Tian Chicken Rice stall, he handles a chicken carcass very well (or at least his ten fingers were intact after chopping chicken and smiling at the cameras during the PR shoot there).

Apparently long queues have already formed at Newton Hawker Centre for today's cook-off.

For his admittedly more posh take on our local delights, have a look at this Facebook Page (I have no connection to "Bibik Gourmand", but her public Facebook page has a lot of nice food pix.)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7525062&type=1

Comment

Gordon Ramsay vs Singapore Hawkers Results: Tian Tian Chicken Rice (Hawker Win) + 328 Katong Laksa (Hawker Win) + Jumbo Chilli Crab (Gordon Win)

Comment

Originally posted by RHG View Post
        Hi, im sure some of the food addicts would be following the above closely. If anyone has seen him in real life in singapore the past few days , at the st regis. or previously anywhere around the world, would love to get your opinion. Ie, is his cooking up to par?
        The man can definitely cook and has a strong respect and love of food -- no matter the cuisine.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        Gordon Ramsay vs Singapore Hawkers Results: Tian Tian Chicken Rice (Hawker Win) + 328 Katong Laksa (Hawker Win) + Jumbo Chilli Crab (Gordon Win)
        Is this viewable any place?
        HUGE AL

Comment

Snippets can be found here:

HungryGoWhere

Seems like many had fun at the cookout!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            Snippets can be found here:

HungryGoWhere

Seems like many had fun at the cookout!
            not me... had to send people off at airport.....
            if his restaurants are assessible to normal everyday people, i may like his cooking....

happy that chicken rice won..

Comment

Originally posted by RHG View Post
              not me... had to send people off at airport.....
              if his restaurants are assessible to normal everyday people, i may like his cooking....

happy that chicken rice won..
              actually, I have been to one of his non-Michelin star restaurant called The Narrow, in Limehouse London. Nice ambience, right on the River Thames, good food, at reasonable prices. Just have to book a few days ahead (not months!).

Comment

Sounds like a fair result!

Chicken rice and laksa are not particularly difficult to do reasonably well, but to cook up excellent versions like Tian Tian or 328 requires real skill and experience! No surprise that Tian Tian and 328 Katong Laksa were the hands-down winners in those categories.

If there was a category GR would triumph in, it would be the chilli crab. I think Jumbo's black pepper crab is better than their chilli crab, and overall Jumbo is the most consistent crab/seafood restaurant here, especially the East Coast Seafood Centre branch.

For chilli crab, while it is a well known dish, there isn't really a national consensus on what makes a great chilli crab -- each restaurant has their own variation, so I am not really surprised that GR could top that dish.

In any case, I thought the whole exercise was good fun...kudos to GR, SingTel, KF Seetoh and all the others who organised the event. Nice bit of publicity for our local food scene as well.

Comment

Working...
                X