Ethiopian Airlines to give Changi and SIA an important link to Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethiopian Airlines to give Changi and SIA an important link to Africa

Singapore Changi is close to plugging the biggest hole in its network, East Africa, with a proposed new service from Ethiopian Airlines. As traffic growth at Changi slows significantly, the airport needs to identify new markets. Africa, particularly East Africa, opens the door to an array of traffic flows which currently bypass Singapore.

Continue reading at http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...-africa-114194

Thanks for sharing. I read about Ethopian's interest in launching flights to SIN some time last year, but then they launched KUL, SGN, ICN and MNL instead!

What's even more surprising is that they have SQ's support! I had to rub my eyes to believe they're welcoming a fellow *A member to SIN with open arms.

Any timeframe for this new service?

Comment

Apparently they will start SIN from Sep but using their old 763 rather than the new 787.

Comment

Indeed, they will be flying 3 times a week via BKK at first (no rights on the tag), beginning 3rd September.

Schedule is:

ET626 ADD0040 – 1320BKK1445 – 1830SIN 763 246
        ET627 SIN2255 – 0025+1BKK0140+1 – 0620+1ADD 763 246

Apparently, this is the arrangement for the first 6 months, after which it becomes a nonstop 787 service and extends to CGK.

Comment

http://airlineroute.net/2013/06/19/et-sin-sep13/

Does this mean they are not intending to fly direct from SIN to ADD?

Comment

Will they have rights between SIN & CGK? Or like TK where they fly but no rights.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
              Will they have rights between SIN & CGK? Or like TK where they fly but no rights.
              Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
              Indeed, they will be flying 3 times a week via BKK at first (no rights on the tag), beginning 3rd September.
              Either way, the SIN-BKK timing doesn't make it very useful for many BKK-bound pax.

Comment

Agreed, it'll be more a last resort for those people who can't get on TG410 and need a *A flight on SIN-BKK. The BKK-SIN timing isn't ideal also for me.

If the fares are fantastic, however, I'll definitely give them a try

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  Agreed, it'll be more a last resort for those people who can't get on TG410 and need a *A flight on SIN-BKK. The BKK-SIN timing isn't ideal also for me.

If the fares are fantastic, however, I'll definitely give them a try
                  but it said "no rights on the tag". I thought this suppose to mean that they cannot sell BKK-SIN-BKK sectors?
                  visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                    It will be nice to have another full service carrier on SIN-CGK route not to mention *A
                    visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                      but it said "no rights on the tag". I thought this suppose to mean that they cannot sell BKK-SIN-BKK sectors?
                      Really? That would be a pity... :/

Comment

ET's webpage doesnt even show SIN as a bookable origin or destination. They must have learnt that from SQ

Comment

And the latest news according to airlineroute.net is that the plan has been shelved.

Comment

I know it has got nothing to do with SIN-BKK-SIN with ET, but I tried ET KUL-BKK-KUL not too long ago. KUL-BKK was very good. Full meal in Y as well, and nice and clean cabin. BKK-KUL was horrible because PAX from ADD-BKK continuing to KUL stayed onboard hence the cleaning wasn't really done properly.

Comment

And.. it's back on again.

Starts 17 December - still routed thru BKK.

Comment

Working...
                              X